ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 02-12-09, 03:56 PM

paul4842 is on a distinguished road
Energy Drinks and Adderall XR

Has anyone who takes Adderal XR drank an energy drink during the day. My daughter mentioned wanting one (she's on 40mg a day), but I told her I didn't think it was a good idea. I mean Adderal is a stimulant in and of itself.
The Following User Says Thank You to paul4842 For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (02-12-09)
Old 02-12-09, 04:21 PM
Forum ADDvocate

xraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud of
Re: Energy Drinks and Adderall XR

It has a lot of varying opinions.

The problem with these drinks is they increase the glucose levels, offering an immediate "rush", but the crash is often greater than being exhausted.

If she is sluggish, and is drained by the days end, it could be the "crash" from the adderall. It affects each person differently.

The bottom line...ENERGY drinks, are never a good idea! Diet plays a large part in the cognitive thinking skills, and sports. Maybe she should think of adding protien powder to her daily regimen! Just a thought....
My daughter is also on 40 mg. xr, and she eats like an athlete! It makes a huge difference. ( She is 14)

Old 02-12-09, 05:06 PM
Contributor

stillfightin will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul4842 View Post
Has anyone who takes Adderal XR drank an energy drink during the day. My daughter mentioned wanting one (she's on 40mg a day), but I told her I didn't think it was a good idea. I mean Adderal is a stimulant in and of itself.
Why does she want one for? Tired?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-09, 05:17 PM

paul4842 is on a distinguished road

No - not tired - just wants to do what the other teenagers are doing. I told her it was not a good idea, but the kids bring it to school in their lunches and I know she's going to try it. I gave her all the reasons that it's bad, so hopefully she'll listen to me.
Thanks
Old 02-12-09, 05:20 PM
Contributor

Quote:
No - not tired - just wants to do what the other teenagers are doing. I told her it was not a good idea, but the kids bring it to school in their lunches and I know she's going to try it. I gave her all the reasons that it's bad, so hopefully she'll listen to me.
Thanks
Energy drinks is the replacement for coffee when we were teenagers.
Old 02-12-09, 05:41 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,008 Times in 504 Posts
chartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant future

I used to practically live on (diet) energy drinks and coffee, but lost my craving for caffeine when I started Adderall.

However, recently I started craving energy drinks, and had them a few times (Note - I'm on IR) while the drug was still active in my system (pretty much at full effectiveness). I noticed a couple of very undesireable effects:

1. It made me very short-tempered - I was always ready to start a fight (or continue) a fight.

2. I had what I could only call visual field disturbances - like thinking I'd see somebody walking by out of the corner of my eye.

Not good, obviously. I have now re-eliminated all caffeine.

Everyone's different, but personally I wouldn't recommend it.
stillfightin (02-12-09)
Old 02-12-09, 10:20 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

gnbeg has a spectacular aura aboutgnbeg has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I wouldn't recommend it - IMHO. A teenager might tolerate it better than an old f*** like me. But, I've had to cut back on my caffiene intake since going on adderall. I got into too much coffee/coke a couple of times and it really hit me in a bad way.
Old 02-12-09, 11:46 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 13,633 Times in 5,040 Posts
ADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond repute

I had to kick caffeine to the curb after starting Adderall. My blood pressure went haywire and I wasn't willing to give up the Adderall. Bye bye coffee.

I am also very careful with my diet. NO starches, no sugars, high protein. This supports the Adderall and I don't tend to crash hard.

While I know that this is a personal question, has your daughter begun menstruating? If the answer is yes, she is probably trying to self medicate. Estrogen fluctuation is harsh to our stims and there is definitely a valid need for additional support. That could be in any number of forms.

Some of the ways I know women address this problem- birth control taken continuously (ignore the sugar pills in a 28 day pack), increasing daily meds during the PMS cycle, taking a supplement of Black Cohosh daily, taking Evening Primrose daily, and taking an Estroven type wide spectrum herbal menopausal support. Universally, she should be taking a B Complex to support the body.

Estrogen levels and ADHD run hand in hand. If she is not feeling her needs getting met with the stim, she is more likely to be attracted to things that wouldn't normally attract her. I speak from the experience of a 46 year old woman in menopause. Throughout my life, PMS seriously messed with me. It is only now that we are piecing that puzzle together.

From the perspective of social adapting, it is OK for her to say to others, "Not for me. Those things give me the WORST headache!" Her peers will understand that- they get the same headache. The other social out (when speaking to other girls) is "Seriously. Bloat City for me! I think I'll pass."

Remind your daughter that you love her and only want the best for her. Remember, we thrive on positives!

If you want links to PMS and stims, please feel free to PM me.

Never forget. "Normal" is just a setting on the washing machine.
Do you really want to be a setting on the washing machine?
If you do, wouldn't you rather be the spin cycle?
Old 02-13-09, 11:18 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

kiosk is a jewel in the roughkiosk is a jewel in the roughkiosk is a jewel in the rough

caffeine gives me jitters.....hate it, plus horrible crashes....is an overrated stimulant
Old 02-13-09, 11:40 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiosk View Post
caffeine gives me jitters.....hate it, plus horrible crashes....is an overrated stimulant
Agreed. Many products are loaded with caffeine giving the illusion that it 'works'...
Old 02-14-09, 12:24 AM
Contributor

Scarletta has a spectacular aura aboutScarletta has a spectacular aura about

If the energy drink contains as much caffeine as a cup of coffee, I'd say no. For me that much totally exacerbates the jitteriness and heartpounding that stimulants can give. Ephedrine also will do that...as well as many herbs. So unless the energy drink just contains amino acids and vitamins and minerals, I'd forgo it.

I do drink decaf though with no problems. Also I can have like one medium Diet Coke with no problems. But coke has a lot less caffeine than coffee.
Old 02-14-09, 12:40 AM
ADDvanced Member

hannielaggie will become famous soon enough

I once took a cross-country drive without sleeping. I took my Adderall XR consecutively along with Monster energy drinks. I was extremely jittery. I didn't quite crash as expected.
*NEW* Intuniv 1mg daily for one week then increasing it by 1mg daily per week not to surpass 4mg daily. (Started on 08 NOV 2013)

"Semper parati. Creditam excellentiam." - Hanniel G. Ortiz
Old 02-14-09, 11:30 AM
Jr Member

Rhinn is on a distinguished road

I'm drinking a coffee right now and came here trying to find out if caffeine metabolizes the Adderall quicker. Looks like caffeine is a no no for most people while taking it? If been on 20mg XR for just over three weeks now and have noticed drastic differences in the Adderalls duration. Thus far I've found out about the Vitamin C and Citric Acid thing, which most of the energy drinks I've consumed in the past have a very large amount of. I've also noticed that Vitamin C and B12 being taken shortly before the Adderall wears off eleminates any type of crash that happens. I haven't experienced this too often but even after a relevant amount of sleep as soon as it wears off I start nodding off. Trying to figure out how this works, seems my dosage only last for about six hours before its gone, had a few short days lol

Maybe the energy drink thing wouldn't be too bad towards the end of the day. I've been thinking about it but in all honesty, I'm kind of afraid too. Between the heart warnings with Adderall and everything in the news about the energy drinks I feel like it could be risky and really bad on your body/heart.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rhinn For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (02-14-09)
Old 02-14-09, 01:02 PM
Contributor

Scarletta has a spectacular aura aboutScarletta has a spectacular aura about

Yes, coffee is acidic, and that can interfere with the absorption of Adderall. If your stomach acid is too acidic, the pill can be broken down too quickly and cause the medication to not work right or to not last as long.

That's why some people take baking soda or tums (alkaline) with Adderall- the alkaline system will cause the Adderall to be broken down more slowly- with the result (at least for some people) that the onset is slower but the dose lasts much longer.
The Following User Says Thank You to Scarletta For This Useful Post:
425runner (10-16-12)
Old 08-24-12, 09:56 PM

biochem189 is on a distinguished road

Hello. My name is Mike. I have a bachelor's of science in biochemistry and I'm a student in medical school, so I know a thing or two.

U must make a distinction btwn 5 hr nrg drink and other nrg drinks while discussing this topic.

5 hr nrg contains B vitamins as well as l tyrosine and phenylalanine, essential amino acids in terms of the pharmacology of amphetamines. That is, adderall depletes stores of dopamine and norepinephrine, both of which are replenished by 5 hr nrg drink. Not only will the combination potentiate the adderall, it should give a more effective therapeutic effect.

Other nrg drinks I would not recommend,but as a general rule u should take a number of supplements with amphetamine for its potentiation...
Omega fish oil
Tyrosine
Phenylalanine
B vitamins
Glutamine
Choline
NE precursors
The Following User Says Thank You to biochem189 For This Useful Post:
425runner (10-16-12)