ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 02-13-09, 12:49 PM

pierce7 is on a distinguished road
Question hand written prescription for adderall?

just got a call from my therapist,and she said that my doctor cannot call in a adderall prescription to the pharmacy,that i actually have to go to his office and get a hand written one.why?
Old 02-13-09, 01:07 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

ndnbutterfly has a spectacular aura aboutndnbutterfly has a spectacular aura about
Re: hand written prescription for adderall?

I believe it's because it is a schedule II drug.

"Live like it's your last day on earth"
Hope does not disappoint!!
Old 02-13-09, 01:15 PM

Thanked 4,970 Times in 2,474 Posts
novagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant future

It's becuase it's a schedule ll drug, and the regulations for those medications are more stringent.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-09, 02:20 PM

Thanked 13,633 Times in 5,040 Posts
ADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond repute

Ndnbutterfly and Novagal are exactly correct. The handwritten prescription implies that you are being monitored by your doc as is required. Your doc is audited for his prescriptions so also needs to have a record of it.

You also can't get more than a 30 day supply of your Adderall. My doc will note an effective date on the scrip if I see her less than a month from the last appointment.

Never forget. "Normal" is just a setting on the washing machine.
Do you really want to be a setting on the washing machine?
If you do, wouldn't you rather be the spin cycle?
Old 02-13-09, 03:00 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,007 Times in 504 Posts
chartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADHDTigger View Post
You also can't get more than a 30 day supply of your Adderall. My doc will note an effective date on the scrip if I see her less than a month from the last appointment.
That's not necessarily true - it varies by state. I get a 90-day prescription, and I don't have to see the doc every time I get one, either.
ADHDTigger (02-13-09), auntchris (01-10-10)
Old 02-13-09, 03:31 PM

ADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond repute

Wow! I thought that was a Fed restriction on the Sched II meds! I may have to move to Oregon!

Thanks, Chartreuse!

Old 02-13-09, 03:36 PM

Galadriel724 is on a distinguished road

It is often abused, not by ADDer's. Often by college students and people who want to stay up all night and study.... or ppl who just want to get high. The newest med, Vyvanse, is an amphetamine, but b/c it can only be absorbed into your blood via your stomach it has much less abuse potential (most abusers snort).
I've heard that they created it this way so that they can ask the FDA to make it less restricted.
I'm out of luck though.... it gave me migraines and horrible diarrhea.

Last edited by Galadriel724; 02-13-09 at 03:36 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 02-13-09, 03:39 PM

livnlrgstplite is on a distinguished road

Here in Illinois it's hand written for 30 days, has to be filled w/in 7 days of being written, cannot be filled more than one day before previous prescription is out. That's how it is where I live and with my doc.
The Following User Says Thank You to livnlrgstplite For This Useful Post:
auntchris (01-10-10)
Old 02-13-09, 04:03 PM
ADDvanced Member

hannielaggie will become famous soon enough

In most states pharmacists allow that the doctor call in the triplicate prescription such as for Adderall XR. The patient is allowed to pick up the prescription but it is the responsibility of the Dr. to provide the handwritten prescription within 24 hours.
*NEW* Intuniv 1mg daily for one week then increasing it by 1mg daily per week not to surpass 4mg daily. (Started on 08 NOV 2013)

"Semper parati. Creditam excellentiam." - Hanniel G. Ortiz
Old 02-14-09, 07:59 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,007 Times in 504 Posts
chartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel724 View Post
It is often abused, not by ADDer's. Often by college students and people who want to stay up all night and study.... or ppl who just want to get high. The newest med, Vyvanse, is an amphetamine, but b/c it can only be absorbed into your blood via your stomach it has much less abuse potential (most abusers snort).
I've heard that they created it this way so that they can ask the FDA to make it less restricted.
I'm out of luck though.... it gave me migraines and horrible diarrhea.
I think (emphasis on "think") that the driving force behind the creation of Vyvanse is that the patent on Adderall XR is going to expire soon. They needed some new "angle" so they came up with something they could market as having "less abuse potential."
ADHDTigger (02-14-09)
Old 02-14-09, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartreuse View Post
I think (emphasis on "think") that the driving force behind the creation of Vyvanse is that the patent on Adderall XR is going to expire soon. They needed some new "angle" so they came up with something they could market as having "less abuse potential."
Thank you Shire, for creating a new "shiny" that will keep ADHDer money flowing to your coffers.

Yes, Chartreuse, that is exactly as I have understood the situation.

Old 02-15-09, 03:06 AM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 14,742 Times in 5,838 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
In part this is correct however one of the ideas behind vyvanse it is harder to abuse because the Vyvanse is turned into d-amp in the intestine / liver thus eliminating the ability to inject the drug to obtain a stimulant "rush" or via simply absorption into the mucus membrane by snorting -

By being a pro-drug there is a certain decrease the abuse potential in regards to IV drug users and those who prefer snorting This also serves to moderately decrease the chances of it from being ripped off by such individuals.

There is federal laws regarding the handling and dispensing of medication such as Adderal however the individual states may add to these federal laws. This is why people living in one state here in the US one may get a prescription for three months worth of ADD medications while in other states here people are restrict to thirty day supplies. In some states a triplicate is good for 7 days while in others they are good for up to 21. Although things like Adderall and ritalin are considered schedule II's in all states things like xanax are considered schedule IIs in some states while in others like Texas they are still schedule III's {thankfully}

I have never heard of state regulations being so exacting as to forbid a prescription refill simply because it is a few days early although that type of thing is not uncommon for insurance companies.

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook

Last edited by meadd823; 02-15-09 at 03:27 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to meadd823 For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (02-15-09), auntchris (01-10-10)
Old 02-15-09, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meadd823 View Post
I have never heard of state regulations being so exacting as to forbid a prescription refill simply because it is a few days early although that type of thing is not uncommon for insurance companies.
Welcome to the snowy North. I often think that lawmakers here have been in cold storage for WAAAAY too long.

If I get pulled over and have Adderall on my person and not in the current pill bottle, I can be in deep trouble. Thankfully, I have a friend with the MPD who told me how they handle that kind of thing. Since I take my med twice a day, the nice folks at the WalMart pharmacy routinely give me an extra bottle (empty) so that I can carry a dose or two when needed.

In my world, I can't use insurance for ADHD treatment. It is considered to be pre-existing because I was diagnosed in 1967. Even though it was not considered possible for an adult to have it for years.

I'm thinking of a career with the circus. Considering the hoops I have jumped through, I would be a star.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ADHDTigger For This Useful Post:
dviper785 (10-17-09), meadd823 (10-18-09), Roserazzle (10-19-09), tinywiney (10-19-09)
Old 02-15-09, 11:05 PM
Contributor

fxfake will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by livnlrgstplite View Post
Here in Illinois it's hand written for 30 days, has to be filled w/in 7 days of being written, cannot be filled more than one day before previous prescription is out. That's how it is where I live and with my doc.
Wow. I guess it's a good thing that people in Illinois never leave the state for more than a few hours.

It's also a good thing that Illinois doctors never take vacations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meadd823 View Post
Although things like Adderall and ritalin are considered schedule II's in all states things like xanax are considered schedule IIs in some states while in others like Texas they are still schedule III's {thankfully}
Xanax and the other benzos are C-IV.

To give an idea of the idiocy of these rules, I used to take Fioricet (evil, bad, but that's another story) for migraines. Fioricet has APAP, caffeine, and butalbital (a barbiturate). It's not (or was not) scheduled. Fiorinal is almost identical, but has ASA instead of APAP. It's C-III.

APAP = acetominophen
ASA = aspirin
Old 10-17-09, 12:09 AM
ADDvanced Member

superstressed will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by livnlrgstplite View Post
I am from Texas, and any Schedule II triplicate prescription has to be filled within 21 days from the date it was written. The state used to allow you seven days, but it has changed.