ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-09, 07:14 PM
Jr Member

lackoffocus03 is on a distinguished road
Just got Diagnosed at age 24

I have been browsing these forums for a few months, ever since I suspected that I may had Add. I just now registered! I was diagnosed by my GP and have already been diagnosed for depression. My appointment today was to switch anti deprresants because effexor wasn't working for me. I brought up that I thought a lot of my depression I believe stems from living with undiagnosed Add my whole life. He started to dismiss it and said Add does not cause depression. I then told him that I have lost countless jobs from lack of being able to focus and follow directions, and not having a job has contributed to a lot of my depression. I gave him some more examples of how I thought my add was contributing to my depression. He then agreed that I probably had add and said he would like to treat me for one at a time. He decided to treat me for the add first. He put me on adderall Ir 20mg. It is nice to finally have a formal diagnosis and didn't realize how easy it would be. It took less than 20 minutes and I now have the meds that I need. I would like to thank people on these forums for giving me tips on things to do when I went in to the dr. to get diagnosed. I made a list of all of my symptoms and that really seemed to help. Thanks again everyone for the help!
Old 02-17-09, 07:22 PM
ADDvanced Member

hannielaggie will become famous soon enough
Re: Just got Diagnosed at age 24

Welcome to the Forums. I would suggest getting a psychiatrist's point of view. You may be misdiagnosed. Look into Conners Adult ADHD Rating Scales or Brown ADD Rating Scales. You won't be able to access them online but you'd be able to get them from a psychiatrist.

Good Luck.
*NEW* Intuniv 1mg daily for one week then increasing it by 1mg daily per week not to surpass 4mg daily. (Started on 08 NOV 2013)

"Semper parati. Creditam excellentiam." - Hanniel G. Ortiz
The Following User Says Thank You to hannielaggie For This Useful Post:
somuchbetter (02-17-09)
Old 02-17-09, 07:31 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 13,641 Times in 5,040 Posts
ADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond repute

It is amazing the number of times that ADHD is misdiagnosed as depression. I went through years of going from resource to resource with ADHD (diagnosed when I was 4) only to be told that my problem was depression and there was no such thing as Adult ADHD. I finally quit trying at all.

When I started seeing my current therapist, she suggested that I be seen again by the psychiatrist. I had been re-diagnosed in 2005 but had to suspend Adderall because of other health issues.

I'm really glad that you were able to get your ADHD symptoms across to your doctor. Many don't realize that depression tends to result from untreated ADHD.

Let us know how you get on.

Never forget. "Normal" is just a setting on the washing machine.
Do you really want to be a setting on the washing machine?
If you do, wouldn't you rather be the spin cycle?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-09, 09:14 PM
ADDvanced Member

somuchbetter will become famous soon enough

Definitely. If you read up some articles on adult ADHD and depression/anxiety, many of them mention that anxiety and depression are often results of undiagnosed ADHD. As we grow older, we take on more responsibilities and can no longer 'hide' the real problem. Then we develop a mood disorder.

I had anxiety myself, but turns out I was just hyperactive. Since I treated the ADHD, the anxiety subsided.

Good to hear you are doing your research!
Old 02-25-09, 09:08 PM
Jr Member

lackoffocus03 is on a distinguished road

just to let you guys know things have been going really well for me.
Old 02-26-09, 01:37 AM

kingtiger is on a distinguished road

Awesome! So you've been able to focus better, now that you're on the Adderall?

When I was a teenager, I was treated for anxiety, but it looks like that was just a side effect of the ADD. I had to visit a psychiatrist before getting the right diagnosis, though -- my family doctor gave me Adderall XR, and when it didn't work, he wanted to treat me for anxiety. When I said "no," he sent me to a psychiatrist.
Old 03-01-09, 08:55 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,613 Times in 2,155 Posts
Addr68 has much to be proud ofAddr68 has much to be proud ofAddr68 has much to be proud ofAddr68 has much to be proud ofAddr68 has much to be proud ofAddr68 has much to be proud ofAddr68 has much to be proud ofAddr68 has much to be proud of

Welcome to the community lackoffocus03! We are happy you are here!!!!!
"We all have such a Ring: it forms the foundations of our Dark Tower, namely the Ego, the false self. Our Quest, like Frodo's and Sam's, is to renounce the Ring and be rid of the hold it has over us...."
Tolkien