ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-09, 05:13 AM

bilbogates98 is on a distinguished road
People who never took the adhd meds, how is your ability to cope with stress?

AHDH people who've never taken adhd meds, how is you ability to cope with stress/pressure?

Do you deal well under pressure, do you deal with it very poorly? Do you pretty much fall apart?

An example would be working under pressure, do you perform significantly worse then your non-adhd peers?
Old 02-21-09, 09:57 AM

LoudSigh will become famous soon enough
Re: People who never took the adhd meds, how is your ability to cope with stress?

It depends on the situation. If the pressure is deadline-related and I am doing something that I'm generally good at, then I usually perform better, as long as I'm able to work on my own in a quiet place.

If you're talking about social pressure, that's a different story. I generally find a way to mess up somehow.
Old 02-21-09, 10:22 AM
Contributor

kettish will become famous soon enough
Re: People who never took the adhd meds, how is your ability to cope with stress?

Depends. I did very well in extremely stressful situations, battlefield medicine and waitressing. But put me in a room with a bunch of people I know and ask me to give a presentation? Nope. Ain't happenin'.

Or, if there's a due date on an assignment that I don't understand, that probably isn't happening either. :P
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-09, 10:33 AM
ADDvanced Member

headsamess is a jewel in the roughheadsamess is a jewel in the roughheadsamess is a jewel in the rough

I'm quite good at helping out others, when the problem isnt effecting me and I have more time to think.

I can fall apart when its my problem, making hasty decisions, trying to escape the easiest way out, sometimes making things worse perhaps trying to gain attention for help.
Old 02-21-09, 12:01 PM

Rusty32 is on a distinguished road

Pre-med i did great, i dont think i was capable of understanding consequences. post-med i haven't really been put in those predicament
Old 02-21-09, 12:29 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

roseblood is a name known to allroseblood is a name known to allroseblood is a name known to allroseblood is a name known to allroseblood is a name known to allroseblood is a name known to all

It's really hard for me to fight back tears when I'm stressed and under pressure. I also enter a cycle of negative thinking and imagining things that upset me, impossible to control, so I can stay that upset for much longer than most people. I can cry for hours! So yeah, I have no ability to cope with stress at all.
The Following User Says Thank You to roseblood For This Useful Post:
kwalk (02-21-09)
Old 02-21-09, 12:33 PM
Contributor

andyum is a name known to allandyum is a name known to allandyum is a name known to allandyum is a name known to allandyum is a name known to allandyum is a name known to all

Pre-meds, I often needed the stress of a deadline or situation to get me motivated to work my best. I am guessing I needed the adrenaline rush to get me going. So far on Adderall, I get the same type of motivation but I am, oddly, calmer in my approach.
Old 02-21-09, 12:39 PM
Forum ADDvocate

cwatca will become famous soon enough

On or off meds I find that I don't cope well if I'm under pressure or stress
Old 02-21-09, 12:41 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

kwalk is a glorious beacon of lightkwalk is a glorious beacon of lightkwalk is a glorious beacon of lightkwalk is a glorious beacon of lightkwalk is a glorious beacon of light

man your bringing me down memory lane. When I was off meds at school I did really well atfirst and I did even more than expected because I cared about what I was doing (creative stuff). The stress was bad even in the beginning but I tried to handle it and keep myself sane. It worked at first and being around positive people was better, but eventually I got burned out and could only pass one class. I joined this site then and that didn't help either as I discovered how much of my life was effected and started getting anxiety/ panick attacks.
Old 02-21-09, 12:59 PM

Thanked 3,784 Times in 1,933 Posts
Imnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond repute

Tips like these help.

Phaedrus

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Imnapl For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (02-21-09), kwalk (02-21-09)
Old 02-21-09, 01:08 PM

Thanked 8,303 Times in 2,790 Posts
RedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond repute

I do pretty good. But I have always avoided a high stress lifestyle and workplaces. I am also my own boos. So stressful situations are not so common that they "pile up". Its nice to be a tree-hugging hippy!

Meditation, yoga, hiking, biking, living on acerage surrounded by trees, breathing excersices and stuff are very helpful to me as well.

Hmm so is avoiding people who are high stressed all the time themselves, I'm picky about who I surround myself with.

I'd rather be poor and happy than sucsessful and stressed, but not everyone makes that choice.
The absurdity of working so hard to continue doing something you don't like can be overwhelming. And the longer it takes to feel different, the more it starts to seem like everything might actually be hopeless bull. ~ Hyperbole and a Half
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to RedHairedWitch For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (02-21-09), Imnapl (02-21-09), kettish (02-21-09), kwalk (02-21-09), LostInTheStars (02-21-09), meadd823 (02-22-09), stef (02-21-09)
Old 02-21-09, 01:31 PM

kwalk is a glorious beacon of lightkwalk is a glorious beacon of lightkwalk is a glorious beacon of lightkwalk is a glorious beacon of lightkwalk is a glorious beacon of light

this is a really good thread- It's nice to know how stress is handled even on meds and to prepare or remind ourselves that we're not superman and can't take on the entire world.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kwalk For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (02-21-09), Imnapl (02-21-09)
Old 02-21-09, 01:50 PM
Contributor

γ-quantum has a spectacular aura aboutγ-quantum has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbogates98 View Post
Do you pretty much fall apart?
ha, i was looking for ways to desribe what i feel when stressed, and i think this fits it perfectly.

i cant handle stress at all... not 'bad stress' anyway.
if its good stress - like, an interesting appointment, e.g. an MRI scan of my brain - i can handle it very well, even though i have to get up 3 hours before i can leave, so i have enough time to 'get ready' and it will end up in some stress because i will be late, but... yeah, it's 'good stress'.

as for bad stress... having to take this constant noise from people around me, not knowing if i can find a flat i can afford to move into it, and out of this poohole... and even the thought of having to move all my stuff... it really stresses me in a bad way. i could freak out about it, but i dont know WHAT to do, really. nothing helps. no screaming, no running, no ignoring, no crying, no... no nothing. i dont know how to handle it at all, so i just end up feeling complete despairation.

edit: oh yeah, im not taking and never took any adhd meds so far.
The Following User Says Thank You to γ-quantum For This Useful Post:
kwalk (02-21-09)
Old 02-21-09, 02:52 PM

Thanked 3,784 Times in 1,933 Posts
Imnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond repute

Medication really helps me deal with stress, even though I spent more than forty years learning ways of dealing with it. Medication was the missing link and I am often complimented on my coping skills at work.

Phaedrus

The Following User Says Thank You to Imnapl For This Useful Post:
kwalk (02-21-09)
Old 02-21-09, 02:56 PM

may i ask imnapl what you do to deal with stress?