ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Vyvanse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate)

Old 02-23-09, 01:21 PM

vague107 is on a distinguished road
Can a vyvanse pill be split? I have a long day tomorrow!

hey everyone, I've been taking vyvanse 50mg for about a week now. I like it except for the fact that it wears off too quickly, like after 3-4 hours. Takes about 1.5-2 hrs to start working, works for about 3 or 4 if I'm lucky, then I feel very tired and irritable and sometimes get a headache.

Anyway, tomorrow is a big day for me. I have a very important exam tomorrow night until about 9 pm and classes all day starting at 9:30 am, so its almost a 12 hour day. Of course, I want to have my best focus and concentration from 5:30-9:00 pm (exam time) but I can't exactly make it through classes during the day on nothing.

So can a vyvanse 50mg capsule be split? Is there powder in there or something? I've never split a pill before so I'm not exactly sure how to do that. But I'm wondering if I take half in the morning and half later on, if I might be able to extend coverage. I was thinking about taking a second dose before my exam but I don't want it to be too much either. If I am very tired and the first dose is completely gone by then, then I may have no choice.

I know I probably need my dose upped a little but I couldn't get my next appt to be before tomorrow and the exam tomorrow means a lot to me. So I appreciate any tips/help! thanks

I also have tyrosine, L-huperzine A, and ginkgo supplements if anyone thinks there may be a useful time to take them tomorrow. I don't experience bad side effects taking it with my ADHD meds like some do. I am in the process of getting focus fast but unfortunately couldn't get it before this test. I seriously need all the help I can get - its a 3.5 hr exam! Thanks guys!
Old 02-23-09, 01:31 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

wifeandmom is a splendid one to beholdwifeandmom is a splendid one to beholdwifeandmom is a splendid one to beholdwifeandmom is a splendid one to beholdwifeandmom is a splendid one to beholdwifeandmom is a splendid one to beholdwifeandmom is a splendid one to behold
Re: Can a vyvanse pill be split? I have a long day tomorrow!

The recipe in this link is meant for individuals who need to take a half-dose:

http://www.corepsychblog.com/2007/11...ration-recipe/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wifeandmom For This Useful Post:
Core (06-20-11), vague107 (02-23-09)
Old 02-23-09, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifeandmom View Post
The recipe in this link is meant for individuals who need to take a half-dose:

http://www.corepsychblog.com/2007/11...ration-recipe/
Thanks a bunch! I will try that out tomorrow
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-09, 12:17 AM
Contributor

penguin has a spectacular aura aboutpenguin has a spectacular aura about

Bingo. I have been dissolving it in water for quite some time. I put it in 6 oz water. If it is a short day, I drink 4 oz (20MG) and freeze the remaining 2 oz (10MG). A long day is 4 oz in morning and the other 2 later in the day. Works like a champ.
Enjoy, Ken
The Following User Says Thank You to penguin For This Useful Post:
Lizzie80 (03-22-14)
Old 02-24-09, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin View Post
Bingo. I have been dissolving it in water for quite some time. I put it in 6 oz water. If it is a short day, I drink 4 oz (20MG) and freeze the remaining 2 oz (10MG). A long day is 4 oz in morning and the other 2 later in the day. Works like a champ.
Enjoy, Ken
Thanks! Seems like a really good idea and gives you more control over the dose. So its pretty safe to assume that once dissolved in water, its mixed evenly per ounce?
Old 02-24-09, 10:13 AM

MHOVEY is on a distinguished road

I tried this recipe and it made me extremely paranoid. I was on 50 mg. for about 3 weeks and felt that I was not getting the full effect from it anymore, so I googled and googled to see if I could split it in some way so I could up the dose myself. I really should have just waited to see the doctor because in the end she did up my dose to 70 mg. Anyways, I found that recipe and decided to give it a go. At first I was fine but a few hours later I felt restless and my palms were sweating so bad, I thought that I was going to drive myself into one of my "I'm having a heart attack" panic attacks! I have not had them in a long time but that recipe almost triggered one. I ended up laying in bed and dealing with it until I was able to force myself to fall asleep. I'm not going to say don't try it, I might have done it all wrong. I heard it worked for a lot of people, but I just was not one of them.
Old 03-03-10, 01:53 AM

aab420 is on a distinguished road

I've noticed that your supposed to freeze the remainder, other web pages tell you to throw away the remainder. This might be a bad question but why? Does it spoil or something? Thanks people
Old 03-03-10, 10:46 AM
Contributor

penguin has a spectacular aura aboutpenguin has a spectacular aura about

Hi,
I freeze mine all the time. No problems. The safest answer is always the conservative one, hence "throw it away".
I believe in the minimum amount possible. When I get up I mix 50mg into 10 oz of water. I decant 6 oz into 3 2oz snap top containers. The remaining 4 oz are consumed on the spot(sometimes I forget- this is ADHD). The 3 containers go in the freezer. I pull out 2 containers that are frozen and pack them in my lunch. If it is late in the day before I remember to take them, I take only one container. Or none if things re going well. These left overs are put in my freezer in store room or come home and back to freezer. I rotate, in left side out right side. I have taken ones that were thawed 24 hours and did not notice any difference. Once in a while I find one of unknown age that wandered away. These I dump.
This works for me and it is going on 1 1/2 years with no problem.
Enjoy, Ken
Old 03-05-10, 08:05 AM
ADDvanced Member

JenSMP has a spectacular aura aboutJenSMP has a spectacular aura about

We split our 20 mg pill for our son. He takes 10 mg daily. I do find that the powder sort of settles in the bottom of the water. So, I use two of those really small medicine cups that they use with children's medication. I mix the whole thing in one cup, and then I use a medicine dropper to stir the mixture. Then, using the dropper I take out half and put it in another cup just to make sure I've gotten exactly half. I'm kind of a freak about it, so that's probably not necessary. Our doctor told us to throw out the other half because the medication is no longer stable if you don't use it right away. I've wondered if we could save the other half somehow. Didn't think of freezing it. It seems like such a waste to throw it out. I think we might try this.

The doctor did tell us we can give another 1/4 (5 mg) to 1/2 (10 mg) dose around 3 pm if we need it to last longer in the afternoon for sports, etc. You might want to try taking a little extra (booster) later in the afternoon rather than just taking more in the morning. It is the exteneded release and doesn't seem to keep him awake much later than usual. I'm sure you've figured out all of this by now, but for anyone else who might be looking for this same info...
Old 05-16-11, 10:36 AM

Mrs. Sunshine is on a distinguished road

***I am NOT a doctor. The following information is my personal experience, so just bear that in mind.

I am a 37 year old mother of 6. I see that this thread is old; however, I wanted to respond in case others like me are looking into this. I was on Vyvanse 30mg for 2 weeks then upped to 60mg for another 2 weeks. Talked to my physician about the dosage because my days are long (3am-10pm) and the Vyvanse seems to wear off early. The doctor upped my dose to 70mg and gave me a script for 10mg Adderall in the afternoon. The Adderall just wasn't working that well and I started having anxiety (not able to take a deep breathe) at the 70mg of the Vyvanse so I stopped the Adderall and split my 70mg Vyvanse pill into 2 doses. I basically open the capsule and dissolve half of the powder in the capsule in water and drink it at 3am. The remainder of the medicine I keep in the capsule and take at 12pm. The extended release of this medication is not in the capsule, it is a protein in the medication/powder itself; therefore, the capsules are only different for each dose in order to be able to differentiate the dosages. I have spoken with Shire and was told that for my case it would not be a problem but do NOT go over 70mg in a day.

***Extra tidbit of information, it takes 3 days for Vyvanse to be totally out of your system; however, at 8-10 hours it is 50% out of your system.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mrs. Sunshine For This Useful Post:
manismom (02-05-13)
Old 02-05-13, 07:25 PM
Contributor

manismom is a glorious beacon of lightmanismom is a glorious beacon of lightmanismom is a glorious beacon of lightmanismom is a glorious beacon of lightmanismom is a glorious beacon of light

The Vyvanse prescribing information says that you can open the capsule and mix it with water, but they say that you should NOT split dosage this way.

However, I didn't realize that when I halved the dose for my daughter. I knew that Vyvanse was a pro-drug and that it needs to be processed through your liver in order to be active (thus, the capsule can dissolve at any point in your digestive tract). And I had already been opening the capsules and mixing them with water because she can't swallow pills yet. I assumed it would be OK since I was giving her LESS than the dose that was approved by her doctor.

Later, when I spoke to her neurologist, he said that many patients do this and that Doctors and Parents have been begging for lower doses of Vyvanse so it wouldn't be necessary.

Just recently, it was re-confirmed as being OK when I asked both my daughters neurologist and my psychiatrist to double the dose, but prescribe half the pills so that we could qualify for the latest Shire discount. My doctor was lightly reluctant, but after I explained hat I had already been doing this for my daughter and hat her neurologist was fine with it, she agreed to writ he new Rx.
Old 02-05-13, 09:30 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Nate W has much to be proud ofNate W has much to be proud ofNate W has much to be proud ofNate W has much to be proud ofNate W has much to be proud ofNate W has much to be proud ofNate W has much to be proud ofNate W has much to be proud ofNate W has much to be proud ofNate W has much to be proud of

I titrate as you describe when taking Vyvanse. Reason being is it ramps up to too high an amphetamine level and falls off too soon (in five hours) if I take a capsule. I'll open a 40 mg and put the powder in a liter water bottle and add one cup of water, shake, and drink 2/3 of the mixture, wait four hours and drink the last third. Seems to work very well. I also follow up in two hours with two 5 mg doses of dextroamphetamine, two hours apart.

I have left over 40 mg capsules of Vyvanse. If I had 50 or 60 mg, I would titrate accordingly and forego the dextroamphetamine bosters.

--Nate
Old 02-06-13, 01:04 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 11,909 Times in 6,023 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

Regarding freezing: It is clear from anecdotal experiences that the Vyvanse-water keeps in the refrigerator just fine over a period of several days and there is no technical need to freeze it if it is used within that time. However, it might be that freezing was recommended to someone as a family safety measure, reducing the risk of the wrong person drinking it by mistake; or for the purpose of long-term storage (though I don't know who would want to store half a dose of Vyvanse long-term, or if that would even be safe); or some other reason.
The Following User Says Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
Lizzie80 (03-22-14)