ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 02-23-09, 07:57 PM

florida10 will become famous soon enough
Taking Adderall after 3-4 hours of sleep

Is it normal for Adderall to work perfectly fine everyday, until you get ONE bad nights sleep and then adderall just doesn't work...at all, for the entire day?
Old 02-23-09, 08:03 PM
Contributor

stillfightin will become famous soon enough
Re: Taking Adderall after 3-4 hours of sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida10 View Post
Is it normal for Adderall to work perfectly fine everyday, until you get ONE bad nights sleep and then adderall just doesn't work...at all, for the entire day?
Hmm, seems like an isolated incident... did it work fine the day after?
Old 02-23-09, 08:23 PM

We'll find out tomorrow ^^. That is if I can finish this Research Paper before midnight ><.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-09, 08:46 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,970 Times in 2,474 Posts
novagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant future

I've only been on meds for a brief while, (little under two months) but I definitely notice that when I don't get a good amount of sleep, I'm worthless the next day even with adderall. It's only happened a couple of times since I started, but it's been the case both times.
Old 02-23-09, 09:26 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Ruby85 has a spectacular aura aboutRuby85 has a spectacular aura about

Yeah, that happens to me. It's not because the medication isn't working, it's because you're sleep-deprived. Even Adderall can't help with that.

Are you a college student? If so, it's probably mid-terms week, huh? For me, as an English major, that meant research papers and more research papers...and less and less sleep. Wish I had better advice, but I've found that I need at least 6-7 hours of sleep each night for Adderall to work the way it should. Good luck with your paper!
Old 02-23-09, 09:53 PM
ADDvanced Member

jeffpuffer will become famous soon enough

Adderall will work on 0 sleep, but its effects will be more in keeping you awake than helping with cognitive abilities. I don't take my adderall if I don't have at least 6 hours of sleep the previous night because all it does is make me awake, unable to fall back asleep, but does nothing for my focus. If I don't sleep at all and then take adderall it feels like I'm drunk and disoriented, but just unable to fall asleep. There's also the fact that taking stims on little to no sleep is more likely to cause brief bouts of psychosis, so that's another reason I avoid it.

But yeah, completely normal.
Old 02-23-09, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby85 View Post
Are you a college student? If so, it's probably mid-terms week, huh? For me, as an English major, that meant research papers and more research papers...and less and less sleep. Wish I had better advice, but I've found that I need at least 6-7 hours of sleep each night for Adderall to work the way it should. Good luck with your paper!
Yeppp, I'm a college student. We don't do mid-terms though actually hehe. It's just some silly random research paper for Humanities.

And to all of the responses, I hope my incident turns out to be the same as yours =).
Old 02-24-09, 09:42 AM

Ugh, been over an hour since I took Adderall this morning and nothing. Took it with food today for the first time in weeks, though. But last time I checked oatmeal (The old fashioned Quaker Oats kind, not those little flavored packets) aren't highly acidic...=\
Old 02-24-09, 10:24 AM
Contributor

andyum is a name known to allandyum is a name known to allandyum is a name known to allandyum is a name known to allandyum is a name known to allandyum is a name known to all

Having been on Adderall for only a month, I am far from an expert on the subject but I have to agree with the others that Adderall is not going to compensate for a good night sleep.

I did not make the decision to take medicine lightly. I take pretty good care of myself in terms of exercising, diet and sleep. However, I think it is even more important to do so while on medication.
Old 02-24-09, 01:56 PM
Contributor

Scarletta has a spectacular aura aboutScarletta has a spectacular aura about

You have to have plenty of sleep/nutrition/calories for Adderall to work properly. So it's not unusual.

Adderall can keep you awake like a pot of coffee or Vivarin or something, and probably better than they do, if you've only gotten a few hours sleep. But you'll feel like crap.

Be careful not to fall into the habit of taking doses too late at night, not being able to sleep, and then relying on the Adderall to get you up in the morning. That is a prescription for a bad crash about to happen.
Old 02-24-09, 02:09 PM

Hey good news! It finally kicked in 2 hours later.
But now the bad news: it lasted 30 minutes. lol ><.

After 30 minutes of taking it, it seemed like the medication lost 70% of it's effect. I still had a sense of well being, increased socialbility, positive mood, but absolutely no focus. This lasted for about 2 hours, and now I'm tired as h*ll.

I swear, I feel like I'm taking a different medication every morning =\.

Scarletta: Yeah, I used to experience insomnia when I took my XR too late in the day. Right now though, I'm just trying to get IR to work for 4 hours consistently before I add a second dose during my day.
Old 02-24-09, 07:45 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

kiosk is a jewel in the roughkiosk is a jewel in the roughkiosk is a jewel in the rough

you are not a machine, absolutely wont work as well if you arent recovered....our body and mind have failsafe mechanisms that fire alerts when recovery is not in check, and this doesnt allow stimulants to work, at least for long or effectively.....and your body will only respond even worse afterwards!

an example is dont take it when you are sick or have a cold....your immune system is hard at work and stims fight against it, but ultimately the stim will lose
Old 04-21-10, 01:44 PM

slug___ is on a distinguished road

Well this Is my second time this has happend to me on Adderall IR 40mg, Had No sleep at all and took My meds same routine, I Feel the meds are working its just a weird linger almost euphoric kinda of a feeling. Anyway im writing this for anyone who is on Ir and has a similar experience or just in General cause I know most of you are on XR. I defenitly know Im dehydrated So keeping that in mind But its been hours like this and still feel the meds its just diffrent. I have focus and can do everything normal just a bit off like hazy kinda.
Old 04-21-10, 04:14 PM

slug___ is on a distinguished road

Ok its been a few hours now, This is strange definatly feel out of it, sleep depravation, dehydration, cold chills and sweats ,off and on, Not a good time. Anxiety is at its peak! Avoid this Not healthy. I will not take my meds if I dont get sleep again. Just some insight for everyone.
The Following User Says Thank You to slug___ For This Useful Post:
DesertDave (04-21-10)
Old 04-21-10, 08:33 PM
ADDvanced Member

phEight is a glorious beacon of lightphEight is a glorious beacon of lightphEight is a glorious beacon of lightphEight is a glorious beacon of lightphEight is a glorious beacon of lightphEight is a glorious beacon of light

I'm surprised that only one night of getting 3-4 hours of sleep is enough to make a person feel pretty bad. I haven't slept much the past 2 days and today I feel pretty crappy after about 4 hours of sleep (got a lingering headache type feeling).

Other than that though, amphetamines should in general improve the effects from sleep deprivation. For example, there was a study done where participants were forcefully kept sleep deprived for something like 40 hours (I can't remember exactly) and they were examined on certain cognitive tasks. Sleep deprivation definitely made them do worse... but when given amphetamine their results on similar cognitive tasks went back to normal.

I guess those people weren't used to taking amphetamine though, so I can see why those of us who've been on the medication don't see such effects. I can actually stay up longer if I don't take adderall... it seems like adderall just makes me dead tired at the end of the day.

If it's just one day of not getting enough sleep I don't usually feel any ill effects.. but tack on a couple days and it's definitely going down hill
"There are moments when one feels free from one's own identification with human limitations and inadequacies. At such moments one imagines that one stands on some spot of a small planet, gazing in amazement at the cold yet profoundly moving beauty of the eternal, the unfathomable; life and death flow into one, and there is neither evolution nor destiny; only Being." -Albert Einstein