ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 02-24-09, 03:40 AM
Jr Member

vapid is on a distinguished road
Pooping a lot?

I don't mean to be vulgar, but how come whenever I take Adderall I always poop a lot within 5 minutes? 1.) Why does Adderall do that? 2.) You think it's pooping out the Adderall, and thus making it ineffective?
Old 02-24-09, 02:51 PM
Forum Guru

blueroo has a brilliant futureblueroo has a brilliant futureblueroo has a brilliant futureblueroo has a brilliant futureblueroo has a brilliant futureblueroo has a brilliant futureblueroo has a brilliant futureblueroo has a brilliant futureblueroo has a brilliant futureblueroo has a brilliant futureblueroo has a brilliant future
Re: Pooping a lot?

I doubt it's the Adderall doing that. You probably just coincidentally take your medication at roughly the same time as your daily movement. Try waiting to take the pill until after your movement some time to demonstrate. And no, the pill is not going to move through your entire system in 5 minutes.
Old 02-24-09, 04:33 PM
ADDvanced Member

somuchbetter will become famous soon enough

I had to laugh when I saw this title. Call me immature.

But I noticed that also when I first started taking stimulants because it is relaxing my body. Kind of like if anyone remembers smoking a cigarette for the first time, you might feel that way also. It might also upset your stomach if you haven't eaten anything... plus new medications can just do that to you anyway as an initial side effect.

You might also just notice it more because it is an interruption. A lot of people often mention that it seems like they go to the bathroom more, but its merely because its an interruption and it seems more like a distraction than anything.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-09, 12:19 AM

vague107 is on a distinguished road

No it definitely stimulates the bowels, like all stimulants (esp. coffee) and I've heard cigarettes too, which is why sometimes when people quit they deal with chronic constipation. Vyvanse definitely has this effect on me, although it takes about 2 hours after I take it. I'm someone with a slow digestive system though, so its actually been one of the best benefits (sorry if this is tmi lol).
Old 02-25-09, 05:10 AM
ADDvanced Member

elegy is a jewel in the roughelegy is a jewel in the roughelegy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by vague107 View Post
No it definitely stimulates the bowels, like all stimulants (esp. coffee) and I've heard cigarettes too, which is why sometimes when people quit they deal with chronic constipation.
Definitely. Traditional laxatives are stimulants, so it's reasonable to assume that Adderall or any other CNS stimulant would have the same effect.

I notice the same thing when I take my Focalin, and I've been on it for almost a year. And every once in a while I light up a cigarette and take the first few drags... and I have to put it out, to attend to some urgent business.

BTW to the OP - you're not poopin' out your Adderall. It takes much, much longer for the digestive system to do its magic than 5 minutes.

"I hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it. "
The Following User Says Thank You to elegy For This Useful Post:
somuchbetter (02-26-09)
Old 02-26-09, 02:25 AM
ADDvanced Member

DarkCode is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegy View Post
BTW to the OP - you're not poopin' out your Adderall. It takes much, much longer for the digestive system to do its magic than 5 minutes.
Most of the amphetamine is actually excreted through your urine, your skin, and its in the form of metabolites.

The likelihood of a pill making its way through your system that is made up of glucose, and some other generic fillers is simply put nonexistent. It just doesn't happen - Adderall isn't corn to put it frankly.
Old 02-26-09, 02:44 AM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCode View Post
Most of the amphetamine is actually excreted through your urine, your skin, and its in the form of metabolites.

The likelihood of a pill making its way through your system that is made up of glucose, and some other generic fillers is simply put nonexistent. It just doesn't happen - Adderall isn't corn to put it frankly.
Your skin? Could it cause possible break outs? I am a pizza face myself lately....
Old 02-27-09, 04:40 PM
Jr Member

fallspill2 is on a distinguished road

lol Funny title. Yes I think it can make you go number 2 more. I don't go to the bathroom a lot or anything, but I notice right after I first take it I feel like I immediately have to go to the bathroom. Pretty much life coffee.
Old 02-27-09, 04:43 PM
Jr Member

fallspill2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by somuchbetter View Post
Your skin? Could it cause possible break outs? I am a pizza face myself lately....
Adderall can cause breakouts but it doesn't for everyone. So far I haven't gotten acne (knock on wood) or anything but my eczema has gotten a little worse. I already had eczema before but I think the Adderall made it harder to go away completely. It you have acne with Adderall I heard you need to drink A LOT of water, have a good skincare routine and don't stress out a lot. Stress is what causes acne and Adderall can mess your hormones up a lot.
Old 02-27-09, 10:41 PM
ADDvanced Member

don't stress out..... ha... i wish that were possible
Old 03-01-09, 01:53 PM
Contributor

oddjobace has a spectacular aura aboutoddjobace has a spectacular aura about

I saw your post but had to run and take care of BUSINESS.

OK, IM BACK!

Yes, I have noticed more visits. To be a little more graphic, if I could, it seems to be more firm too.

Perception is 9/10ths reality

Those who define others define themselves.
Old 05-19-11, 02:49 PM

myracles is on a distinguished road

Hahaha yeah I totally have to poop more often on Adderall...
Also, it dehydrates me a lot - dry mouth - and I have to drink like 3 bottles of water to be okay which makes my skin look great!
Old 02-18-14, 08:33 PM

sleepyjoey is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Pooping a lot?

I'm on 10mg of adderall instant release. Whenever I've taken it, I usually have a GI tract cleansing movement in about 15 minutes every single time. Think of it as you've just chugged a bucket of coffee, it'll definitely stimulate the GI tract.

It's not ruining the efficacy of your medication. If anything at this point a lot of it has already been adsorbed.

When I'm on it regularly I don't have as many GI side effects. When I've taken a break from it however they come back.
Old 02-19-14, 02:33 AM
ADDvanced Member

Blackstar has a spectacular aura aboutBlackstar has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapid View Post
... how come whenever I take Adderall I always poop a lot within 5 minutes?
That can happen in the first hour or so.
Old 02-19-14, 01:46 PM
mADDhatterator

Thanked 1,018 Times in 652 Posts
Laserbeak is a glorious beacon of lightLaserbeak is a glorious beacon of lightLaserbeak is a glorious beacon of lightLaserbeak is a glorious beacon of lightLaserbeak is a glorious beacon of light

Pretty much any stimulant can make you feel the urge to defecate. It's just part of the body chemistry.

And every task you undertake, becomes a piece of cake, a lark! A spree! It's very clear to see That a ... spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down, the medicine go dow-own, the medicine go down. Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down in a most delightful way!

Mary Poppins