ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 02-24-09, 10:34 AM

mightyADDmike is on a distinguished road
adderall and bad mood

Hi all! I have been on adderall 30mg xr for about a year now. Recently, I have gone back to school and work full time. I take my adderall in the am around 7 and start school on the computer. I get very aggitated after about an hour or so and procrastinate everything the rest of the day. I feel somewhat energized for about 15 minutes, then I feel like crap and moody. Has anyone experienced this as well. I havent taken a break from it so maybe i need to stop for awhile or go on another medicine? I have tried Ritalin, made me sick, concerta and focalin. I am just stuck in a rut and have a lot of work to do but just stare at it.
Old 02-24-09, 11:12 AM
Contributor

stillfightin will become famous soon enough
Re: adderall and bad mood

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyADDmike View Post
Hi all! I have been on adderall 30mg xr for about a year now. Recently, I have gone back to school and work full time. I take my adderall in the am around 7 and start school on the computer. I get very aggitated after about an hour or so and procrastinate everything the rest of the day. I feel somewhat energized for about 15 minutes, then I feel like crap and moody. Has anyone experienced this as well. I havent taken a break from it so maybe i need to stop for awhile or go on another medicine? I have tried Ritalin, made me sick, concerta and focalin. I am just stuck in a rut and have a lot of work to do but just stare at it.
Could try maybe St. John's Wort and 5-HTP to help with your mood.
Old 02-24-09, 11:37 AM
Banned

steven d will become famous soon enough

Perhaps you should try another treatment.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-09, 12:00 PM

I forgot to mention, I am on 400mg of wellbutrin and I do take fish oil supplements at night.
Old 02-24-09, 03:45 PM
ADDvanced Member

somuchbetter will become famous soon enough

I got that way when I took too much of it. I remember being on the phone with my long distance boyfriend and he said, "um... what's wrong?" and i snapped, "I dont know Im just IRRITATED!!" and he said "well, why?" and I said, "..... I don't know?" haha woops. But yeah, it just made me really annoyed, and just unsatisfied with everything, even what I was supposed to be focusing on.
Old 02-24-09, 04:17 PM
ADDvanced Member

hannielaggie will become famous soon enough

I have that feeling of agitation everyday. Well it's subsided since I've changed my Abilify dosage but it used to be worse. The only way I would calm myself down was I would take a deep, deep breath and close my eyes. I would envision myself sitting there relaxing my entire body to the point where I was able to control my own heart beat. Then I would look at the past and see how far I've come and made myself realize that I am doing better but it takes so much more of me. IF you feel these feelings of irritability often then take deeper breaths and take frequent 15 minute breaks. Don't put the blame on the drug or yourself. It takes time and patience in order to figure out a system of calmness. Drink some hot tea or a warm cup of coffee. That might help you out. I not sure what else might be a remedy. You might want to consult with your pdoc to figure out some way of relieving this tension that you're feeling. You'll get by.

Good Luck.
*NEW* Intuniv 1mg daily for one week then increasing it by 1mg daily per week not to surpass 4mg daily. (Started on 08 NOV 2013)

"Semper parati. Creditam excellentiam." - Hanniel G. Ortiz
Old 02-24-09, 07:42 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

kiosk is a jewel in the roughkiosk is a jewel in the roughkiosk is a jewel in the rough

ask your doc about lexapro....for me took care of that completely, as well as GAD
Old 02-26-09, 10:43 AM

Thanks guys, I usually take my 30mg xr with 200mg with wellbutrin and since I was hardcore depressed my doc put me on another 200mg at 3pm but I was sweating so bad under my arms. I am going next week and might taper off the second dose of wellbutrin. I am competely spaced out by the end of the day and slurred speech. Maybe too much wellbutrin now, but have no focus after 2 or 3. I dont know if she should recommend another dose of adderall after 2 since I am in school at night. I have a lot going on with stress, work, school, and a newborn in 2 months...it is hectic....
Old 02-26-09, 10:16 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Ruby85 has a spectacular aura aboutRuby85 has a spectacular aura about

I do notice that Adderall can negatively affect my mood, but it doesn't put me in a bad mood by itself. It makes me edgy, so if something happens that would usually just annoy me, on Adderall that same situation goes from mildly annoying to deeply upsetting. I didn't notice this problem when I was on Dex though; maybe that would be a better option for you. Dex has more of a calming effect. On Adderall, I just feel riled.
Old 02-26-09, 11:27 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

wifeandmom is a splendid one to beholdwifeandmom is a splendid one to beholdwifeandmom is a splendid one to beholdwifeandmom is a splendid one to beholdwifeandmom is a splendid one to beholdwifeandmom is a splendid one to beholdwifeandmom is a splendid one to behold

Ask your doctor to explain the synergistic effect of Wellbutrin and Adderall. I'm not a doctor, but it sounds like too much norepinephrine (precursor to adrenaline). You might do better with Vyvanse or Dex. They only have the right-hand molecule of amphetamine. It's the left molecule (found in mixed amphetamine salts, AKA Adderall) that causes the peripheral nervous system stimulation. Some people need that "kick in the pants" but for others it's too much.
Old 02-27-09, 03:12 AM

dacres will become famous soon enough

wifeandmom is on the money if you ask me.

I think you should definitely look into trialing dexedrine or vyvanse.
Sometimes l-amphetamine which stimulates the adrenaline system can have bad effects on people. Adderall contains l-amph and d-amph whereas dex and vyvanse are just d (hence DEXedrine). d-amphetamine as she said does not have this mechanism as much.
Old 02-27-09, 03:21 AM
Contributor

zarazz will become famous soon enough

I had the same thing happen to me when I first went on adderal so I quit it after a short time. My doc decided that a mood stabilizer ( lamictal) might help before being reintroduced to adderal or any stimulant. After I worked my way up to the 100g Lamictal dossage my doc thought I could try the adderal again. and So far it fixed all the issues with my mood. There are, however, still bouts of anxiety, but it's a small price to pay for being able to actually get something done. I know it worked for me but everyone is different and this type of thing is very much hit and miss. I guess I just got lucky, but in the off chance I hope this could help.
Old 02-27-09, 10:04 AM

Thanks everyone! I might try the dexedrine. I tried vyvanse and it kinda didnt do much. I am on lamictal at night at 400mg with .5mg risperdal. On my own I tapered off the wellburtin just because it was making me too high or overstimulated. I am basically adjusting it myself due to my doctor really not paying attention to me. She just writes stuff down and has 20 people in the waiting room. I think I will go to an old doctor and try the dexedrine. I took my 30mg xr and nothing with an empty stomach before hand. I have been on it nonstop for one year. I think it is time to switch...but I have never tried dexedrine. Has anyone taken it?
Old 12-12-10, 12:15 PM
ADDvanced Member

nomannomad has a spectacular aura aboutnomannomad has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillfightin View Post
Could try maybe St. John's Wort and 5-HTP to help with your mood.
I'd recommend against mixing St. John's Wort and Adderall. Stopping St. John's Wort made me more focused and less anxious while on Adderall. Lots of posts on how they don't mix well.
Old 12-12-10, 04:29 PM
ADDvanced Member

WhoaaaaaI'mADD will become famous soon enough

Isn't wellbutrin a stimulant? Perhaps I'm thinking about this incorrectly, but mixing adderall with another stimulant-based anti-depressant doesn't sound like a very good idea. Perhaps you should lower a dose of one or the other, or move to a different ADD med. I hope it all works out, because my meds almost always give me a very positive mood that I look forward to.
The Following User Says Thank You to WhoaaaaaI'mADD For This Useful Post:
nomannomad (12-12-10)