ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Concerta
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Concerta (methylphenidate) Time released Ritalin - 10 hour long acting tablet.

Old 02-26-09, 03:52 PM
ADDvanced Member

willzzz has a spectacular aura aboutwillzzz has a spectacular aura about
Talking Does this mean I need a higher dosage of Concerta?

I just started Concerta 18mg today and it's great. I'm switching from Strattera (the HORROR!) First few hours I could focus and definetly MINOR improvement in focus. I feel I need more though. Side effects are minor and basically diarrhea (minor) (This should go away right?).
Old 02-26-09, 10:16 PM

cthulhufhtagn will become famous soon enough
Re: Does this mean I need a higher dosage of Concerta?

I don't know anybody who stays on just 18mg, so yes, if it's showing any positive effect, that's a sign that more could work for you. I had a few unpleasant side effects which came back when I increased the dose, but they are mostly gone now that I'm stabilized.
Old 03-01-09, 01:34 PM
ADDvanced Member

willzzz has a spectacular aura aboutwillzzz has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: Does this mean I need a higher dosage of Concerta?

Ok I doubled my dosage to 36mg and actually feel it's usefulness. (18mg was like so light and didn't feel much.) Now I need to discuss with my doc in a few weeks whether to move up to 54mg! Thanks! =)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-09, 11:00 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

hollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nice

use concerta as a baseline for duration of effect throughout the day and treat our adhd with ir ritalin boosters morning , afternoon and evening, trust me thats the most effective way in the long run and it'll keep you from guessing why the concerta dose is or is not releasing this much at this time and so on. Just use the ritalin as your therapeutic effect med and reference the milligram amount when you take that throughout the day and that will tell you if you need to increase or not, now the good thing about this technique is that generally as you approach the evening you will have the concerta kick in and you elect not to use your last therapeutic ritalin ir dose at the end of the day. This is just my technique and it works, I never rely on concerta, I just use it to provide a base to stave away the valleys or lows in treatment and it works. Your dose over time will escalate anyway , so you may as well do it correctly.
Old 03-02-09, 04:49 PM

cthulhufhtagn will become famous soon enough

No problem.
I had the same thing - on 18 I immediately felt a change, but not enough of a change to be useful. 36 worked more or less but started stopping really early in the day, so I went up again; 54 doesn't, to me, feel any different to 36 apart from its duration. Hope it goes well for you.
Old 03-02-09, 06:04 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,112 Times in 541 Posts
wsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud of

I had an unusual start with Concerta.
My doctor gave me prescriptions for 18mg and 27mg, and instructions to take different combinations, keeping track of which ones felt most effective.

I was wondering if she understood I have ADD/HD?

I totally forgot to keep track, and I actually forgot why I had two different dosages and instructions for different dosages on different days.

When I went back to see her the second visit (I am 5 hours away, so it's a 5-hour drive down... visit... then back home.. we meet once-a-month), I think she got a little frustrated/perturbed at me for blowing the whole experiment thing

Anyway, we just decided to start me on 27mg and see where it went, based upon what I could actually remember of the last month.

Since then, I've been getting prescriptions for both 27mg and 36mg.
I decide on my dosage depending on what's happening for me that particular day.

I've gone up to 63mg (27+36) on days I expect to be really taxed, just to see how it does for me.

I think 36mg is a fine dosage for days when I'm just going to school and/or working.
If I'm not doing those two things, but there are important other things I know I'll need to focus on, I may do down to 27mg.

I do give myself holidays, though, weekends... days I'm not at school or work and I have no other commitments... I don't take it at all then.

I had no success with Ritalin, Adderall, or Strattera, but that might have also been due to some very heavy stress factors in my life.
For now though, Concerta seems to be helping... so I'll stick with it.

=========
I know have a new diagnosis: Attention Difference Display / Happy Dance (ADD/HD)... I think it fits!
=========

Sometimes I worry that if I don't slow down... I'll run my batteries down and won't be able to recharge myself... powered down permanently at such a young age!