ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Vyvanse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate)

Old 02-27-09, 10:12 AM
Jr Member

Rose22 is on a distinguished road
2nd Day taking Vyvanse - Last night I got no sleep at all

Hi All -

I started taking 50mg of Vyvanse yesterday and could not sleep for the life of me last night. I was awake all night tossing and turning every 2 minutes. I know that I need to adjust to the medication but I've read a lot of posts of people taking it longer and still having insomnia. My question is, if this continues, does anyone have any helpful suggestions on how they were able to curb this side effect?
Old 02-27-09, 10:57 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

kiosk is a jewel in the roughkiosk is a jewel in the roughkiosk is a jewel in the rough
Re: 2nd Day taking Vyvanse - Last night I got no sleep at all

what time did you take it? did you feel it worked until a particular time day?

for most people it this problem passes, surely did for me but took few weeks
but it if it doesnt might need lower your dose and/or do an Adderall IR boost in PM
hang in there
The Following User Says Thank You to kiosk For This Useful Post:
Rose22 (02-27-09)
Old 02-27-09, 12:08 PM
Jr Member

I took it at 8:00 am but I drank a ton of coffee yesterday too. I actually drank the coffee just because its part of my routine and really not thinking about how it would effect the Vyvanse. Today I feel so much less anxious on the meds so I think the coffee may have had something to do with the insomneia as well. The difference without the coffee is huge! Its so much more tolerable.

BTW, what is the Adderall IR boost?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-09, 01:54 PM
Contributor

tlhengel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose22 View Post
I took it at 8:00 am but I drank a ton of coffee yesterday too. I actually drank the coffee just because its part of my routine and really not thinking about how it would effect the Vyvanse. Today I feel so much less anxious on the meds so I think the coffee may have had something to do with the insomneia as well. The difference without the coffee is huge! Its so much more tolerable.

BTW, what is the Adderall IR boost?

Thanks
Wow. I'm surprised your doc didn't warn you about the caffeine thing. Mine certainly did. That would most likely be the cause of the anxiety and maybe even the severe insomnia

Adderall IR is Instant Release. It's shorter acting than the Vyvanse (I believe 6 hours ???) but most people say it's much different feeling. I've read people say they get more of a high feeling. A lot of people on Vyvanse need the IR in the afternoon/evening for a boost in their symptom coverage to make it through the rest of the day.
Old 02-27-09, 01:56 PM
Contributor

I should also add that you should be careful about stopping the caffeine altogether. You will get terrible withdrawl (I made that mistake! Horrible splitting headaches!) You should wean down to minimize the effects
Old 02-27-09, 02:20 PM
Jr Member

He mentioned that it might make me a bit jittery but added that some people still drink it. I had a cup out of habit and then felt like I had to continuesly have another and another or I felt like I was going to crash. I felt like a wreck yesterday because my brain seem to handle the Vyvanse well but my body was totally spazing out. I'm so happy to find that it was the mixture of coffee and Vyvanse that made me feel that way not just the Vyvanse alone. I have to say, got really worried and disappointed yesterday about the whole ordeal. I felt like I've found out finally after all these years what was wrong with me and the first day I take the medication I'm worse then to start with.

Needless to say, I'm very tired today but 100% less anxious all around so far and feel like I've been very focused on my tasks. Not necessarily on the tasks I'm suppose to be focused on but its a start!
Old 02-27-09, 04:03 PM
Contributor

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but rarely does anyone find the "cure" after they are diagnosed. I think almost all of us ADDers have experienced the same let down as you. My anxiety just makes it worse too. I have a tendency to obsess about things and when I was first diagnosed, I was practically harassing my doc about my meds not working. I thought the meds would magically make me better, but they didn't. I've just started my journey also and I'm hoping I will be one of the lucky few that find their "sweet spot" quickly. I hope you do too! Good luck!
Old 03-02-09, 04:05 PM

Scott19 is on a distinguished road

I'd say hang in there, its my 3rd month on Vyvanse I am on my first day of my 3rd new dosage.

We have been tweaking it I started at 50- that was ok I did that for a bit and went to 40 2 x a day and now im trying 70 1 x a day .

The first 3 days is the hardest but as soon you get a routine you will be good.

I would suggest maybe some slim fast shakes or something you can easily make sure you eat every 3 hours or so and drink your water .. allot of water.

sounds like a pain but the result has been tremendous for me at work.

Ive had a few strange things - rash on arms etc that could be vyvanse related but they went away and seemed to happend well after a month of use . .

Routine is Key with Vyvanse.
The Following User Says Thank You to Scott19 For This Useful Post:
Rose22 (03-02-09)