ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 03-01-09, 08:44 PM

florida10 will become famous soon enough
Stopping Adderall Cold turkey...

Everywhere I've read, people say that a person gets over the withdrawls of Adderall after about 3 days.

But I'm just curious...has any had a REALLY bad lengthy experience quitting Adderall cold turkey?
Old 03-01-09, 09:27 PM
Contributor

stillfightin will become famous soon enough
Re: Stopping Adderall Cold turkey...

not for me... felt okay to be honest.
Old 03-01-09, 09:40 PM
Contributor

20trackedmind is a glorious beacon of light20trackedmind is a glorious beacon of light20trackedmind is a glorious beacon of light20trackedmind is a glorious beacon of light20trackedmind is a glorious beacon of light

I forgot to bring my Adderall when I was on weeks vacation once and had no bad side effects.

Don't you have to be addicted to something to get withdraws from it? Just wondering.

Follow this to the ADD Forums Get Fit Club:
http://www.addforums.com/forums/show...682#post627682
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-09, 09:47 PM

dacres will become famous soon enough

You can get addicted to stuff in medical dosages. ADHD medications are not alone in this, Percocet, Morphine, Vicodin, OxyContin, Valium, and their related medications are also quite liable to addiction in prescribed dosages. Being on a prescription version of something and taking it in a prescribed dosage does not make a magical case where addiction isn't possible.
However, the existence of stimulant withdrawal is disputed in science. Personally, I believe it does exist; whether or not you will experience it depends on many, many, factors, however.
bilbogates98 (03-01-09)
Old 03-01-09, 10:33 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Ruby85 has a spectacular aura aboutRuby85 has a spectacular aura about

You can have some unpleasant effects from stopping a drug suddenly without it being full blown withdrawal. Whenever I skip a day of Adderall or Dex, I get extremely tired the next day. I usually spend the next day sleeping straight through until evening.

It's not because I'm addicted, and it's not withdrawal. It's just because of the sudden drop in dopamine levels. Like if you're on the birth control pill and you forget to take it one day, you'll likely get your period the next day (sorry to all the guys on this forum, TMI). It's because of the sudden drop in estrogen in your body.

Not everyone feels tired after skipping their meds for a day. But if you do, it doesn't necessarily mean you're experiencing withdrawal.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ruby85 For This Useful Post:
20trackedmind (03-01-09)
Old 03-01-09, 10:44 PM

florida10 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby85 View Post
You can have some unpleasant effects from stopping a drug suddenly without it being full blown withdrawal. Whenever I skip a day of Adderall or Dex, I get extremely tired the next day. I usually spend the next day sleeping straight through until evening.

It's not because I'm addicted, and it's not withdrawal. It's just because of the sudden drop in dopamine levels.
Do the dopamine levels go back to normal (for ADHD standards) within at least...a week?
Old 03-02-09, 12:36 AM
Contributor

Nocturnal is on a distinguished road

I've never gotten "withdrawals" per se but I do get extremely tired to the point where I sleep the entire day. Take today for instance, I took a drug break and decided not to take my Adderall. I pretty much ate breakfast, took a nap and didn't wake up until an hour ago.
Old 03-02-09, 01:16 AM
Contributor

bobC has a spectacular aura aboutbobC has a spectacular aura about

Adderall increases two chemicals in the brain dopamine + NE.

Decreasing NE levels has a number of short lived discontinuation effects. The body is normally able to adjust over a day or two. However this could cause a bit of fatigue/stuffy nose/increased appatite/decrease in memory/+?.

Dopamine levels are not regulated by the brain nearly as quicky. These effects would be mild unless you have been taking stimulants for a long time or at a high dosages. The main effects would be clumsyness/slower cognitive skills/disphoria/+?. If present these effects would persist longer as it takes dopamine receptors more time to adjust to changes.

BobC
Old 03-02-09, 08:50 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

kiosk is a jewel in the roughkiosk is a jewel in the roughkiosk is a jewel in the rough

ahh...well pretty much anything we do regularly will have some effect if stopped cold turkey w/o feeling some impact of some level

how about. lets see, stop eating one day and see how you feel ??
or stop sleeping a couple nights?? why should drugs be any different?

a great physician friend of mine (now passed) told me is the foods we eat that are the most potent drugs in the world....they keep us alive!