ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 03-08-09, 11:47 AM
Jr Member

Littlebike is on a distinguished road
Adderall XR (30mg) & Gums,Teeth, Heart

I am 38 and just diagnosed with ADD.

My doc put me on 30mg Adderall XR. I have taken it three days in a row and took the weekend off, why?

I keep very good track of my resting heart rate (usually 52-60bpm at rest) using a heart rate monitor, normally used for exercise.

First two days on the meds everything was great, my Heart Rate Monitor showed I was within my normal BPM, my head was clear, I was able to read when and what I wanted to, etc. I did have a mild headache, which was not unexpected - I read all the side effects.

On thing I did notice on days one and two is when I brushed my teeth my gums were sensitive at the gumline. This is relatively uncommon for me - I do brush a little too hard - and I had not had this happen in some time.

Third day, headache was a bit stronger, my appetite was nearly non-existant (I was hungry but when I got food I would only eat a bit of it, not all like normal). My resting heart rate increased from the normal 52-60bpm range up to 68-78bpm for the entire day, and it was frequently fluctuating. I felt a bit nervous all day (this could have been the drugs or me being paranoid).

At 8pm on the third day, 13 hours after I had taken adderall, my heart rate fell back to normal and I was starving.

Saturday I woke up with a bit of a headache and wrote that off as dehydration - which could have brought on Fridays headache too - and from a few things I read dehydration can lead to elevated heart rate.

So maybe I can write those two "side effects" off as dehydration related.

I have taken Saturday and Sunday off the meds.

My plan is to get back to a baseline, well hydrated, well fed, make sure my heart is functioning normally. Sunday morning this seems to be the case but when I brushed my teeth this morning my gums are still a bit sensative at the gumline. This concerns me greatly as I would like to keep my teeth in my head for as long as possible.

On Friday:
- Mouth was dry
- Headache
- Felt like the roof of my mouth has pressure
- felt like my face had pressure (cheeks under my eyes)
- Increased Heart Rate

Hopefully I have painted a clear enough picture to get some good advice, and with any luck, some of you will have similar annecdotes that resolved themselves.
Old 03-08-09, 11:56 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,016 Times in 671 Posts
pADDyjay is a name known to allpADDyjay is a name known to allpADDyjay is a name known to allpADDyjay is a name known to allpADDyjay is a name known to allpADDyjay is a name known to allpADDyjay is a name known to all
Re: Adderall XR (30mg) & Gums,Teeth, Heart

Hello and welcome aboard nice to have you here
Old 03-08-09, 12:38 PM
ADDvanced Member

melanie_me is on a distinguished road

Your doctor started you on 30mg? You didn't titrate up? That seems like a high dose to just start at.

Your heart rate problem may be due to a too high of dose (though Adderall does increase heart rate a bit.) Ask your doctor to start you at 10mg and go up from there. If you've made it 38 years without medication, you can go a little while longer as you find the right dose and medication for you. It took me 3 months and several different doses, meds and combos to find the right fit for me.

I also experienced gum problems for the first 18 months I was on Adderall. I went to dentist every 3 months instead of 6 and really watched my fluid intake. I believe the gum problems were due to dry mouth. I started using a mouth wash for dry mouth and using mouth drops as needed. Chewing Trident also helped. I've been on Adderall XR for over 3 years now and my dental hygenist says my gums look great again.
The Following User Says Thank You to melanie_me For This Useful Post:
namazu (03-25-14)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-09, 12:50 PM
ADDvanced Member

ADHDeveloper will become famous soon enough

Adderall does increase heart rate. I too had headaches, increased heart rate and increased nervousness initially when I went from 10mg to 15mg, but it went away after a week. I think it just took my body some time to get used to it.
Old 03-08-09, 05:05 PM
Jr Member

eche05 is on a distinguished road

Your inflammed gums is just the result of mild gingivitis (try brushing your teeth more requently when using adderall). The gingivitis is the result of decreased salivation.

When salivation is decreased, plaque and bacteria are able to cling to your gumline(s) without being washed off.

Don't worry about it, I had the exact same problem when I started on ADD medications, I just mouthwash occasionally throughout the day, inbetween meals. Best of luck sir
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to eche05 For This Useful Post:
anonone (03-11-09), namazu (03-25-14), Snoogs (03-10-09)
Old 03-09-09, 12:01 AM

BessieMaeMucho is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by eche05 View Post
Your inflammed gums is just the result of mild gingivitis (try brushing your teeth more requently when using adderall). The gingivitis is the result of decreased salivation.

When salivation is decreased, plaque and bacteria are able to cling to your gumline(s) without being washed off.

Don't worry about it, I had the exact same problem when I started on ADD medications, I just mouthwash occasionally throughout the day, inbetween meals. Best of luck sir

That is one good reason, but another potential reason (and i had to force myself to pay attention to this myself) is that the adderall could be making you brush your teeth too hard without you even knowing it. I liken it to some users expressing they bite their lip, or grind their teeth, sometimes the drug makes you too intense and you don't realize your own strength. when i realized this myself the gum issues went away..another good way to assure this might not occur is brush with a softer brush than you are perhaps using now in case you go at it a bit to harshly. it could help.

"Mother's Little Helper"

"I like to sing-a about the Moon-a and the June-a and the Spring-a"
The Following User Says Thank You to BessieMaeMucho For This Useful Post:
selby (03-24-09)
Old 03-09-09, 12:13 AM
Jr Member

whiteknight is on a distinguished road

I'm currently taking 40mg and I have noticed the dry mouth and know I need to drink lots of water, when I don't I get dehydrated. I am switching off of Adderall this week as I haven't seen any improvement in concentration, focus, etc. Have you noticed any improvements while taking Adderall?
Old 03-09-09, 10:40 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

twinch42085 has a spectacular aura abouttwinch42085 has a spectacular aura about

The adderall may not be working for you, but try to study, read, etc. and see if it you focused better afterwards.

You may just need a different type of stimulant.

Goodluck,

Twinch :-)
Old 03-09-09, 12:27 PM
Jr Member

After not taking it Saturday and Sunday I found my gums were still a little sensitive last night so I used an antibacterial mouth rinse just before bed. This morning they are just below 100%.

I meant to take the pill again this morning but forgot. My intention this week is to try again, closely watch my heart rate, fluid intake, and see how I feel. I fear this dose (30mg XR) just might be to strong for a virgin to stimulants.

Last week was my first time ever taking a medicine for ADD, only learned I had it a few weeks ago.

I am honestly pretty scared of the medicines, which is irrational I suppose.
The Following User Says Thank You to Littlebike For This Useful Post:
namazu (03-25-14)
Old 03-10-09, 11:37 AM
ADDvanced Member

melanie_me is on a distinguished road

I just think 30mg is too much to start. I know everyone responds differently to meds, but 30mgs all at once is way too much medicine for me. I'm sure your doctor wouldn't mind giving you an RX for 10 mgs. You could move back up to 30 as quickly as you want, but you may 10 or 20 is plenty along the way.
The Following User Says Thank You to melanie_me For This Useful Post:
namazu (03-25-14)
Old 03-10-09, 12:08 PM
Jr Member

I am trying again this morning and am better prepared to deal with potential issues.

I took the pill about 4.5 hours ago and so far I feel fine. I can feel some of the effects of it, mildly spacey, maybe a bit tingly. My head is definitely clear though I almost feel sedate - I wonder if this is how people usually feel?

I did not take Adderall yesterday to find a true baseline for my heart rate, 44-52bpm at rest (sitting at my desk at work). I had not realized it was always that slow.

Today my BPM is hanging in the mid 50's (with all things being equal), definitely acceptable, especially since I have some digestion going on right now.

I bought some listerine to rinse my mouth - fighting the bacteria that so quickly attacked my gums last week - and drinking water like made, making sure to swish around my teeth keeping them clean.

The thought of having teeth issues doe to this medication is horrifying - I like my teeth and want to keep them.
Old 03-10-09, 09:46 PM
Jr Member

Today went well for the most part. Now, some 18 hours later and I have a pretty decent headache coming on. I started rearing its ugly head at about hour 10 after taking the pill.
Old 03-11-09, 09:37 AM
Jr Member

Day two.

Headache is still with me even though I drank nearly 90oz of water yesterday and took an 800mg ibuprofen this morning.

Everything else seems normal though it is hard to tell how effective this pill may be when I am preoccupied with a headache.
Old 03-11-09, 10:27 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

twinch42085 has a spectacular aura abouttwinch42085 has a spectacular aura about

I really think you need to come down from the 30 mg and go on a lower dosage. 30 mg just seems way too much for anyone unless they have titrated to that level. Lower levels are sometimes better for most people.

Twinch :-)
Old 03-13-09, 01:07 PM
Jr Member

I am off that stuff. I only took it two days this week. I have also dropped the crackpot to prescribed that med at that dosage. I go to a new psych in a couple weeks.

I still feel like I am feeling/recoving from the side effects of that med/dosage.