ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Bipolar
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-09, 06:21 PM

Thanked 1,989 Times in 1,109 Posts
Crazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond repute
It looks like Cyclothymia or Bipolar type 2

Hey People.

As some of you know I suffer depression along with the ADHD/SID and it's looking more and more like Cyclothymic Disorder or even type 2 Bipolar, I've had flunctating mood swings since the age of 11 and I'm beginning to notice it more and more.

I feel that the extreme impulsivity is also caused by this and not so much the ADHD, I'm going to the doctors on the 30th of March to get a referral to see a psychiatrist to resume the medication for the ADHD and get assessed for either cyclothymia or Bipolar type 2 but cyclothymia is more likely.

My family and many others have suspected this for years, to suspect is one thing but to have it confirmed is another, I've been putting this to the back of my mind for years and putting off being assessed (stigma within my family has a lot to do with it) but it's getting to the point where I'm losing more than what I'm gaining in life, I've lost jobs, friendships, relationships with family members etc over the years and it's time to do something about it now.

I may not get back all of what I've lost over the years but I can start to move on and live a more happier, peaceful and fufilled life and yes I'm depressed at the moment but not suicidal, everything is taking it's toll but I'm keeping an eye on it which is stressful in itself but soon something will be done...it's not easy but it will get better.

I keep you all updated on my next doctors appointment and how it goes.

Selena
Old 03-10-09, 02:23 PM
can't remember diddly Moderator

Thanked 6,034 Times in 3,083 Posts
EYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond repute
Re: It looks like Cyclothymia or Bipolar type 2

Thank you for the update. I know what a relief it was for me to have a diagnosis after 30+ years of struggling, wondering "what's wrong" and nothing worked to "fix" it.

Please read our forum guidelines.
FAQ "How Do I...start here"
The Following User Says Thank You to EYEFORGOT For This Useful Post:
Crazygirl79 (03-16-09)
Old 03-15-09, 11:02 PM

Crazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond repute

I went to the GP today and got a referral for both a psychologist and a psychiatrist, he also put me on 30mg of Zoloft and the good news is that the government is going to pay for 18 sessions for the psychologist!!! I'm still seeing that counsellor I mentioned in another section and that's free as well.

Things may finally start to look up.

Selena
The Following User Says Thank You to Crazygirl79 For This Useful Post:
livinginchaos (03-30-09)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-09, 12:34 PM
can't remember diddly Moderator

Thanked 6,034 Times in 3,083 Posts
EYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to hear it. It's a relief isn't it?

Please read our forum guidelines.
FAQ "How Do I...start here"
Old 03-17-09, 01:54 PM
Contributor

KFC in CA has a spectacular aura aboutKFC in CA has a spectacular aura about

Hi Crazygirl!

Tell someone you are close to about starting Zoloft and have them check in with you daily if you don't live together. Zoloft is an antidepressant that can cause some jitters and a minor mood instability in some w/o bipolar, so a minor reaction don't mean much. However, antidepressants without mood stabilizers can be extremely problematic for people with bipolar, including bipolar II whether it's mild or not. The reaction can be fast and it can range from mania to very strong suicidal ideations to psychosis. In other words, it immediately becomes an act fast really big deal.

I'm not trying to scare you!!! It probably won't be a problem. I just wanted you to know that just because a GP prescribed does not mean it is safe and you should suck up any reaction. In fact, I'm surprised any doc suspecting bipolar would prescribe an antidepressant before an evaluation, but that's a different issue.

I have bipolar, problems with antidepressants, and also have met a few people who went nuts the first time they took one. I am not trying to be an alarmist, just trying to say take precautions and take care.

Oh yeh, this is not an issue for cyclothymia! But, since you don't know for sure that's what you have.... this cautionary post.
The Following User Says Thank You to KFC in CA For This Useful Post:
Crazygirl79 (03-30-09)
Old 03-17-09, 04:39 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

netsavy006 is a jewel in the roughnetsavy006 is a jewel in the roughnetsavy006 is a jewel in the rough

I'm just curious how are you taking 30mg of Zoloft when they only make 25, 50, and 100mg pills?

I would be watchful because I know with me (but I'm bipolar 1), Zoloft induced mood changes but it may not with you. Everyone is different and responds to medication differently.

I wish you best of luck and I hope the Zoloft helps, but if you do have either I think a mood stabilizer is what you are going to need to have in your medication mix, but again, I'm no doctor, just expressing my opinions.

Dx: Asperger's + Schizoaffective Disorder - Bipolar Type + Panic Disorder w/o Agoraphobia
Rx: Lithium 900mg + Xanax 0.5mg TID + Celexa 10mg + Clozaril 325mg + Centrum + Fish Oil
Old 03-17-09, 10:27 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,628 Times in 881 Posts
FrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud of

Great news, Selena! Glad you are moving forward with this diagnosis and treatment. You have a full plate. It's scary getting answers, but there is empowerment too, as you are seeing! Keep us posted on how you are getting along. I've never even heard of cyclothymia before.
The Following User Says Thank You to FrazzleDazzle For This Useful Post:
Crazygirl79 (03-30-09)
Old 03-19-09, 10:45 AM
ADDvanced Member

kara59 has a spectacular aura aboutkara59 has a spectacular aura about

Congratulation's Selena,

Good for you for caring about yourself, sounds like it will pay off well with covered treatment.

All the best, kara59
Old 03-30-09, 08:37 PM

I've since spoken to the doc since that thread..it turns out that I don't have any form of Bipolar but may have mild OCD which is in turn causing my depression and I will be starting CBT and IPT very soon.

Thanks
Selena
Quote:
Originally Posted by KFC in CA View Post
Hi Crazygirl!

Tell someone you are close to about starting Zoloft and have them check in with you daily if you don't live together. Zoloft is an antidepressant that can cause some jitters and a minor mood instability in some w/o bipolar, so a minor reaction don't mean much. However, antidepressants without mood stabilizers can be extremely problematic for people with bipolar, including bipolar II whether it's mild or not. The reaction can be fast and it can range from mania to very strong suicidal ideations to psychosis. In other words, it immediately becomes an act fast really big deal.

I'm not trying to scare you!!! It probably won't be a problem. I just wanted you to know that just because a GP prescribed does not mean it is safe and you should suck up any reaction. In fact, I'm surprised any doc suspecting bipolar would prescribe an antidepressant before an evaluation, but that's a different issue.

I have bipolar, problems with antidepressants, and also have met a few people who went nuts the first time they took one. I am not trying to be an alarmist, just trying to say take precautions and take care.

Oh yeh, this is not an issue for cyclothymia! But, since you don't know for sure that's what you have.... this cautionary post.