ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Aspergers/Autism Spectrum/PDD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-09, 06:14 PM
Contributor

ADHDKylee is a jewel in the roughADHDKylee is a jewel in the roughADHDKylee is a jewel in the rough
ADHD and the Autistic umbrella

I read in a book the other day that a lady thought ADHD should be placed under the Autistic Umbrella Disorders, because it was very similar to Asperger's or HFA (High Functioning Autism) I can't remember the name of the book... But what opinion do you all have of this? Do you agree or disagree?
Old 03-13-09, 06:44 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

AbsentMindProf has a brilliant futureAbsentMindProf has a brilliant futureAbsentMindProf has a brilliant futureAbsentMindProf has a brilliant futureAbsentMindProf has a brilliant futureAbsentMindProf has a brilliant futureAbsentMindProf has a brilliant futureAbsentMindProf has a brilliant futureAbsentMindProf has a brilliant futureAbsentMindProf has a brilliant futureAbsentMindProf has a brilliant future
Re: ADHD and the Autistic umbrella

ADHD and autism spectrum disorders do share a number of characteristics, with executive function problems being high on the list. Based on recent genetic studies I've read, it seems that there is some overlap in the contributing genes. About 70% of people with Asperger syndrome independently meet the diagnostic criteria for ADHD.

All of that said, I'm not sure that I'm persuaded that ADHD should be thought of as an autism spectrum disorder. While there is some noticable overlap of symptoms, there are differences, too. People with autism, for example, usually have much more obvious difficulties understanding other people's emotions and point of view. I'm actually quite good at reading facial expressions and body language, but that is a classic weakness for people with autism. I also don't think that ADHDers usually have the same type of sensory difficulties. Overall, I don't think ADHDers are generally as obviously "different" from others.

I certainly wouldn't discount the possibility, though. I have a son with Asperger syndrome and, in many ways, he seems more like me than either of us is like other people.
Dizfriz (03-14-09)
Old 03-13-09, 06:54 PM
Contributor

ADHDKylee is a jewel in the roughADHDKylee is a jewel in the roughADHDKylee is a jewel in the rough

I personally think it would be an ok idea.. Especially because Asperger's is often misdiagnosed as ADHD, so they're evidently quite similar. I was diagnosed a few months ago with ADHD, but my mother and I are now starting to think it should been an ADHD/Asperger's mix. They're quite similar and I myself think they should be in the same diagnostic category.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-09, 07:33 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

speedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud of

ADHD and autism are two completely different things. The only thing they have in common is that many people on the autism spectrum also meet the requirements for a diagnosis of ADHD because a lot of people with autism seem so distracted, etc, etc. This is mostly due to autistic perservation, and NOT adhd, but some people on the spectrum do clearly have ADHD along with their autism.

But the inverse is not true, only few people with ADHD end up diagnosed with a PDD, which is why the definition for ADHD in the DSM-IV stated that the diagnosis for ADHD should not be given to someone who has a pervasive developmental disorder.

So if you have autism, you technically can't be diagnosed with ADHD because autism can look a bit like ADHD but usually for different reasons.

Me
"Sig personnas illegitum non carborundum." (unknown)
The computer lets you make more mistakes faster, with the exception of tequila and a handgun. (M. Radcliffe)
Old 03-13-09, 07:38 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedo View Post
ADHD and autism are two completely different things. The only thing they have in common is that many people on the autism spectrum also meet the requirements for a diagnosis of ADHD because a lot of people with autism seem so distracted, etc, etc. This is mostly due to autistic perservation, and NOT adhd, but some people on the spectrum do clearly have ADHD along with their autism.

But the inverse is not true, only few people with ADHD end up diagnosed with a PDD, which is why the definition for ADHD in the DSM-IV stated that the diagnosis for ADHD should not be given to someone who has a pervasive developmental disorder.

So if you have autism, you technically can't be diagnosed with ADHD because autism can look a bit like ADHD but for different reasons.

Me
Well I'm not a doctor and wouldn't be able to know, but I do know that I meet all the criteria for ADHD and almost all the criteria for Asperger's except I have almost always kept eye contact. So unless I'm just really weird.. Now I'm confused.
Old 03-13-09, 07:42 PM

Thanked 10,429 Times in 3,296 Posts
Dizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADHDKylee View Post
I personally think it would be an ok idea.. Especially because Asperger's is often misdiagnosed as ADHD, so they're evidently quite similar. I was diagnosed a few months ago with ADHD, but my mother and I are now starting to think it should been an ADHD/Asperger's mix. They're quite similar and I myself think they should be in the same diagnostic category.
This is a very interesting idea. One problem I see however is that there is a also a strong one way comorbidity between ADHD and Bipolar in that most kids who will be eventually diagnosed as Bipolar will be first diagnosed as ADHD but not the reverse.

I really at this time do not see a strong case that can be made for Asperger's/ADHD/Bipolar as a connected spectrum disorder. An argument could be made classifying them as disorders that involve the executive functions with perhaps some common causation. While this may someday prove to be of use, right now treating them as separate but comorbid seems to be the most useful for treatment purposes.

I do not know the statistics of cases of Asperger's comorbid with Bipolar. I have never seen one identified as such but that does not mean it cannot exist.

Great subject though.

Dizfriz
Old 03-13-09, 07:44 PM

speedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud of

It's not unusual for people with AS to meet the criteria for an ADHD diagnosis. I'm just saying that it does not mean that there is a relationship between ADHD and AS, because the opposite is not true.... people with ADHD do not commonly meet the criteria for AS. AS and ADHD are completely different diagnoses by definition and as such it would make no sense to say that adhd and AS are closely related disorders.

Me
The computer lets you make more mistakes faster, with the exception of tequila and a handgun. (M. Radcliffe)
Old 03-13-09, 07:47 PM
Forum Guru

INaBOX is a glorious beacon of lightINaBOX is a glorious beacon of lightINaBOX is a glorious beacon of lightINaBOX is a glorious beacon of lightINaBOX is a glorious beacon of lightINaBOX is a glorious beacon of light

well, it would qualify us for the funding.

funny, i was talking to my son's principal yesterday and we had a very similar conversation .. whether or not J has high functioning Autism. It's not the first time people have wondered .. and I'm sitting on the fence with it. What frustrates me these days is the lack of umbrella we have. Here's my son's list of issues (past or present):

speech/lang delays
social challenges
slow learner
low muscle tone
possible dev coordination disorder
sensory issues (auditory)
emotionally immature
impulsive
behavioural issues
food issues
bed-wetting issues
auditory processing delays

.. im sure i can think up of others. Now tell me, how can he only have "ADHD-like characteristics" as a diagnoses?????
Old 03-13-09, 07:48 PM

AS and OCD are common among people with AS.

Me
Old 03-13-09, 07:51 PM

Yah funding is everything. It a shame they have to let people struggle just so the bureaucrats can save money.

you would think that they would declare ADHD abd AS to both be disorders in need of appropriate funding. I know for some thigns AS is not considered a disorder, It is almost criminal.

Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by INaBOX View Post
well, it would qualify us for the funding.

funny, i was talking to my son's principal yesterday and we had a very similar conversation .. whether or not J has high functioning Autism. It's not the first time people have wondered .. and I'm sitting on the fence with it. What frustrates me these days is the lack of umbrella we have. Here's my son's list of issues (past or present):

speech/lang delays
social challenges
slow learner
low muscle tone
possible dev coordination disorder
sensory issues (auditory)
emotionally immature
impulsive
behavioural issues
food issues
bed-wetting issues
auditory processing delays

.. im sure i can think up of others. Now tell me, how can he only have "ADHD-like characteristics" as a diagnoses?????
Old 03-13-09, 07:56 PM

Just for the conversation... I personally know someone who has AS and is officially diagnosed with adhd for the purpose of funding.
If this person were diagnosed as having AS they would not be able to get benefits to help with living and medical exp[enses in this state.

Me
Old 03-14-09, 01:04 PM
Contributor

So they don't help people with Asperger's as much as they help people with ADHD? I almost find that confusing, because at my school it took me a while to get an IEP for ADHD, and ADHD kids are not allowed to be in special education but children with Asperger's are. I find that dumb as well, but I guess they just don't see ADHD as big enough in some places.. Which is really one of the reasons I think it should be added to the Autistic umbrella of disorders, because then maybe it would be taken more seriously. Just my opinion..
Old 03-14-09, 03:26 PM
Forum Guru

INaBOX is a glorious beacon of lightINaBOX is a glorious beacon of lightINaBOX is a glorious beacon of lightINaBOX is a glorious beacon of lightINaBOX is a glorious beacon of lightINaBOX is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedo View Post
Just for the conversation... I personally know someone who has AS and is officially diagnosed with adhd for the purpose of funding.
If this person were diagnosed as having AS they would not be able to get benefits to help with living and medical exp[enses in this state.

Me
I'm having a dumb moment .. what's AS? Autism, Aspergers? What funding do we get for ADHD???
Old 03-14-09, 04:26 PM

Thanked 3,532 Times in 1,806 Posts
Lady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADHDKylee View Post
So they don't help people with Asperger's as much as they help people with ADHD? I almost find that confusing, because at my school it took me a while to get an IEP for ADHD, and ADHD kids are not allowed to be in special education but children with Asperger's are. I find that dumb as well, but I guess they just don't see ADHD as big enough in some places.. Which is really one of the reasons I think it should be added to the Autistic umbrella of disorders, because then maybe it would be taken more seriously. Just my opinion..
I think it probably depends on the state, city, school district, etc. I am far more likely to get help from Steven's school due to his Asperger's then his ADHD, but I can't get anything from the state for either, because this state doesn't recognize Asperger's as being on the autistic spectrum. Yet, if he was HF Autism, I could get state aid.

In a box, AS can mean Autistic Spectrum, or it can mean Asperger's. It kinda depends on the context.

I'm really glad that worked. Those would have been terrible last words.
Old 03-14-09, 05:42 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lark View Post
I think it probably depends on the state, city, school district, etc. I am far more likely to get help from Steven's school due to his Asperger's then his ADHD, but I can't get anything from the state for either, because this state doesn't recognize Asperger's as being on the autistic spectrum. Yet, if he was HF Autism, I could get state aid.

In a box, AS can mean Autistic Spectrum, or it can mean Asperger's. It kinda depends on the context.
I think that it's usually easier to get help for Aspergers or Autism than ADHD, but I guess it just depends upon how you look at it. I also think it's very possible to have both together.. It just gives people a better idea of what you need help with and what's really wrong.