ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Primary & Secondary Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Primary & Secondary Education This forum is for parents to discuss issues related to their children's education and AD/HD.

Old 05-11-05, 05:42 PM

Dee Dee is on a distinguished road
Sorry it took me so long to respond. For some reason I couldn't post. Thank you everyone for your responses. Special thanks to Rosered...you must have gotten a cramp in your hand typing all that!

Anyway, yes my son is on medication. Concerta 36 mg. I have had him IQ & Acedemic tested. He has an above average IQ and scored 2nd grade level in almost everything he was tested in except for being able to write quickly. (he is in 1st grade). The school psy who administered the test said she strongly recommends that he be put to 2nd grade and not held back. Thanks to your suggestions I do not punish him for not completing his work in school. I make him work for 30 minutes every night on his homework, then the classwork. If I catch him fooling around while he is supposed to be working I add 5 minutes. There is only 16 more days left of school and I can't wait! The teacher is not doing the accommodations as she is supposed to and her principal knows it. My son qualifies for the 504 plan but not an IEP...because he is too smart.

The woman in charge of the 504 plan and the principal have already chosen a teacher for Vinny next year. I would like to think that they (not his teacher) are trying to help him. I hope I'm not being naive.

I've never been so happy for summer vacation even when I was a kid !
Old 10-21-06, 02:23 PM
Jr Member

hibby is on a distinguished road
Upon reading a great deal of posts here and on other threads, I have to say, I haven't informed my son's teacher or his school that he has ADHD. My husband is against telling them, my son already has an IEP due to a speech problem, and hubby seems to think that they might use the ADHD against him. He thinks this because he was on ritelin (SP?) as a child for ADD and remembers his teachers practically yelling at him from across the room if he remembered to take his meds on occassion. He remembers the embarrasment he felt and doesn't want our boy to suffer the same. What advice if any?!?!?!?
Old 03-10-08, 07:00 AM
ADDvanced Member

Chelsea17 is on a distinguished road
Re: Successful homework strategies for ADHD or LD

Thanks so much for posting this, it has helped gain more info! ~Chelsea~
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-09, 06:15 PM

lbridges is on a distinguished road

I have been a teacher, tutor and mentor for many years and have found that a great deal of students have difficulty with organization and study skills; especially those with ADD. These are skills that most people expect kids to know naturally, but are actually learned skills. Unfortunately many students do not have these skills and as a result, have difficulty in school. These skills, often referred to as executive functioning skills, need to be taught to students. Over the years, I have created a student friendly workbook/program that focuses on teaching students organization, study and communication skills. I am working on getting the program into schools, so hopefully one day this will be a part of the school curriculum. These really are the fundamental skills to success in both school and life.
> >
My best advice to you would be to set up routines with your child. For example, every Monday sit with your child and together write down all the upcoming tests, quizzes, etc. on a monthly calendar. If your child has a big test or project, help him/her break it down into smaller, manageable parts on the calendar. Also, set up specific daily study times and create a workspace at home that has all the supplies one might need to complete assignments. Soon, these such skills will become habit and help your child feel more in control of his/her learning. Best to all! Lisa

Last edited by Grafter; 06-29-09 at 09:05 PM.. Reason: removed web address, please review guidelines
Old 09-27-09, 04:48 PM

MrsK is on a distinguished road

I am a middle science teacher and I also run an after school homework help program at my school. I have worked with numerous students with ADHD, and have had attentional issues myself for as long as I can remember. Adjusting the afternoon schedule for your child is definitely the key to homework and overall school success. The adjustments may require a bit of trial and error, but some possibilities include taking a break to run around outside before starting homework, having a snack before starting homework, or just starting homework right away. Your child may also need to take frequent breaks during homework, but these breaks should be short. Start with small goals for the amount of work to complete before the next break so your child will feel empowered and not overwhelmed. For example, do 4 math problems, then take a break to have a small snack, or finish your spelling homework, then take a break to listen to music for one song (and dance if you want to). Gradually increase the time between breaks and you can also make the breaks longer if enough work is getting done in between. I hope these suggestions are helpful to you and others in the ADHD/ADD community. You can find many more suggestions in a new App for the iPhone/iPod Touch called Pocket Teacher which is full of homework, studying, and organizational strategies that have worked for my students and their parents. Best of luck to you and your child.

Last edited by Lady Lark; 09-27-09 at 09:03 PM.. Reason: removed weblink
Old 10-08-09, 10:08 PM

suesanchez82 is on a distinguished road

Yes honey I do....Unfortunately. I am actually new here and have a Thread myself looking for help. I have a 9 yr old son 4th grade. He is not completing class work, and brings homework home and it takes him about 5-7 hours to finish maybe 4 pages. Everything is a reason. I am not responding with a suggestion cause I frankly dont have it, just as moral support that I will sleep tonight and think about you, cause I am in a boat that is about to sink. Hang in there, I am barely, but we in a way have to right?
God Bless you....
Old 10-01-12, 12:11 PM
Contributor

Adduce is a glorious beacon of lightAdduce is a glorious beacon of lightAdduce is a glorious beacon of lightAdduce is a glorious beacon of lightAdduce is a glorious beacon of light

Parents may find the following books helpful for their children to learn good study and homework planning skills. The books are all written by the British author Tony Buzan and are aimed at the age range 7-14. They are 1. Mind Maps for Kids : An Introduction, 2. Mind Maps for Kids : Max your Memory and Concentration, 3. Mind Maps for Kids : Study Skills.
Old 02-26-13, 06:57 PM
Contributor

eats_mice is just really niceeats_mice is just really niceeats_mice is just really niceeats_mice is just really nice

Homework... sometimes all kids with AD/HD need is someone to keep them on task. Sometimes that means sitting with them while they do it and gently coaxing them every thirty seconds to go to the next problem. Kids are smart, so make sure they hear you say it!

Sometimes they need frequent, immediate encouragement. Make sure they know you approve of every bit of effort they put into their homework, sometimes after every problem or every answer. Since they are always thinking of now, their motivation should be for something very easily reached in the near future.

Award systems
work better than punishment systems. Star stickers... seriously, they're the best.

You will only cause frustration by making an uninteresting task less interesting by increasing set time limits. Timed assignments, i.e., reading half an hour a night, should always be consistent. They should never be increased as a means of punishment. You'll easily end up increasing it far beyond a reasonable expectation. Instead, take away privileges such as tv / video game time in 5-15 minute increments.

However, the child will only see it fairly if you first give them warnings! Kids need to be warned before punishment so that they are the ones controlling their decisions.

-Former Math Ed Major, caretaker of k-5ers, and 3-time summer camp counselor.

You say I'm weird? Well, I grew up next to a power
plant, what's your excuse?
The Following User Says Thank You to eats_mice For This Useful Post:
LynneC (02-27-13)
Old 03-25-13, 08:37 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

ConcertaParent is a splendid one to beholdConcertaParent is a splendid one to beholdConcertaParent is a splendid one to beholdConcertaParent is a splendid one to beholdConcertaParent is a splendid one to beholdConcertaParent is a splendid one to beholdConcertaParent is a splendid one to beholdConcertaParent is a splendid one to behold

Has anybody found a better resource for teaching learning skills to an 11-year old? DD is at least 3 years behind in math, reading, writing, etc. so I'm looking for something this summer that will help her catch up. Adduce, are you associated with Tony Buzan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adduce View Post
Parents may find the following books helpful for their children to learn good study and homework planning skills. The books are all written by the British author Tony Buzan and are aimed at the age range 7-14. They are 1. Mind Maps for Kids : An Introduction, 2. Mind Maps for Kids : Max your Memory and Concentration, 3. Mind Maps for Kids : Study Skills.
What did NOT work: Vyvanse, Concerta, Strattera, Biphentin, Adderall, Omega-3; EASe therapeutic listening, Multiple Food Elimination Diet, Yoga, working memory training, vision therapy, AttenGo (rip-off), Lumosity, C8-Kids, Neuronet; social skills training & other behaviour therapies.

Last edited by ConcertaParent; 03-25-13 at 08:47 AM..
Old 03-25-13, 09:51 AM
Contributor

Adduce is a glorious beacon of lightAdduce is a glorious beacon of lightAdduce is a glorious beacon of lightAdduce is a glorious beacon of lightAdduce is a glorious beacon of light

Re : Concertaparent

No. I am not affiliated with Tony Buzan in any way.

I personally have found his methods helpful in the past and have bought these books for some of the younger members of my family because there doesn't seem to be many books out there that teach study skills to kids directly.

These books (and any others in the genre of study skills/memory techniques etc.) may or may not be helpful to someone so please don't think that my recommendation was for anyone to purchase anything. Maybe do a little research online if you wanted to find out more.

Last edited by namazu; 07-16-13 at 01:40 PM.. Reason: Error...
Old 07-16-13, 12:10 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adduce View Post
If anyone did have a chance to look at these study books, it would be nice to hear if you or your child found them useful at all.

This website is also useful:
www . study - skills - for - all - ages . com /

Last edited by namazu; 07-16-13 at 01:41 PM.. Reason: Included non-hyperlinked version of URL posted by Adduce.
Old 11-24-15, 06:59 PM

annejennings33 is on a distinguished road

My son has gotten amazing help with his executive function issues (esp. Homework!) from Well Functioning. I would highly recommend reaching out to them, they're great with students who gave ADHD! Executivefunctioncoach@gmail.com