ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Medications for Co-Existing Conditions > Anti-Depressants
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-09, 12:52 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Ruby85 has a spectacular aura aboutRuby85 has a spectacular aura about
Antidepressant without weight gain?

Has anyone been on an antidepressant that did not cause weight gain and/or lethargy? I have atypical depression, but I avoid AD's because of these side effects. A few years ago, I tried Lexapro for a week, but discontinued it because it made me exhausted and I gained 3 pounds in a week, even though I had no appetite and I was hardly eating.

So does anyone know of an AD that doesn't cause weight gain, and that won't interfere with Dex IR? I have to be very strict with calories and exercise because I gain weight so easily. I'd really like to treat this depression though; it's getting in the way of things, as you might imagine.
Old 04-02-09, 06:59 AM
Contributor

muldoon has a spectacular aura aboutmuldoon has a spectacular aura about
Re: Antidepressant without weight gain?

Wellbutrin, but using that in additon to the stims you already are may not be the best choice.

Virtually ALL SSRIs inflict the same damage: Apathy, sexual dysfunction, somnolence, lethargy, & weight gain. I gained over 80 lbs. on Paxil over the course of 9 years. I also fell asleep at the wheel countless times and had a minimum of 10 hours of sleep a night to "function" the next day.

Of course, not "everyone" will have these symptoms, but SSRIs have now been around long enough to gather a great deal of information regarding side effects of the masses.

SSRIs stopped my anxiety and panic, but did nothing to rectify depression. I still do not know how serotonin is considered a "feel good" neurotransmitter. In my case, it was clearly Dopamine that was needed for a plethora of reasons. Stimulants provided that.

A small dose of Wellbutrin may do good and not interfere w/ your Dex. In fact, it may enhance it...if your problem is depression. If it's anxiety related, it might not be the best idea. Ask your doc about the possible combo.
Old 04-02-09, 08:57 AM
Jr Member

worlds edge is on a distinguished road

My psychiatrist claims that Pristiq won't cause weight gain, or a lot of the other side effects associated with Effexor, even though both have the same active ingredient. Though I'm not certain I believe him, I'm quite scrupulous in taking it. I've only been on it for about a month, so I suppose it is too soon to tell, but I've not noticed any change.

Of course, Wyeth (the manufacturer of both Effexor and Pristiq) came out with Pristiq at the end of the 2008, and Effexor's patent expires in 2010, at least in the US. Must be a coincidence.
Old 04-02-09, 11:18 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

hollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nice

surely theres more feedback than this... Don't ad's help some people... I just started cymbalta and I'm not going to take if it will put weight on me, thats not worth it... Come on , I've heard depression causes delayed thinking and lethargy , doesn't ad's combat that and return you to baseline. Jesus.
Old 04-02-09, 07:21 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Yeah, I've already told my doc that I'm biased against SSRI's, and she said that an SNRI might be better. I know to stay away from tricyclics for sure, since they're known for causing extreme weight gain. Paxil is also known for its weight gain properties ("Paxil packs it on"), so it's no wonder you gained a lot of weight from it.

Hollywood, I also find it ironic that many anti-depressants cause side effects that mimic the symptoms of depression. Seems kinda counter-productive, ya know? That's why I often wonder if there's any point in trying to treat the depression, because the treatment will only make me more depressed.

Muldoon, it's definitely depression (atypical, to be precise), not anxiety. I don't get panic attacks or anything. Anyone ever had success with any AD (SSRI, SNRI, NDRI, I don't care) that didn't cause weight gain or lethargy? There must be someone, otherwise no one would take these meds, right?

*hopeful*
Old 04-02-09, 11:00 PM

hollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nice

honestly , I think wellbutrin may be the most proven effective option, hey it will give you energy and may prolong the stims effects if you can grip the edgyness...Whatever, I may not even keep taking cymbalta... I can focus.....it's just the crap stress I can't deal with .......Screw it , I'll just apply for more jobs in arizona where the sun shines year round,.
Old 04-03-09, 12:11 AM

beachwalker is on a distinguished road

AD's that dont stack on the pounds? I have given up on SSRI's TCA's and SSNRI for this reason. my last trial with milnaciprin looked quite promising but at an effective dosage for me (ie 200 mg or 4 tabs a day) the pounds started to slowly stack on, be it a hell of a lot slower than SSRI's, TCA's and Effexor , and the price became prohibitive in my current situation.

There are other options:
Agomelatine or Valdoxan: Servier just released a melatonergic that outscores Effexor, Lexapro and Cymbalta on all important fronts it seems and sounds like it is made for the ADHD stim uses with sleep body clock issues! I havnt tried it yet but look forward to giving it a go.

Tianeptine: best AD I know so far, also competes with Xanax as a anxiolytic, probably because it is a non sedating anxiolytic (so good for up tight depressives), I never gained weight on it and even lost weight on it very easily whenever I wanted to, and if anything it improves the sex life from a male perspective IMO. Some complain of insomnia and more vivid dreams & nightmares though I didnt have this problem with it despite taking it with dexedrine (which it synergises very nicely with IMO) and enjoyed the more colourful dreams side of it, I didnt get nightmares, but ohh boy I did seem to catching up on a years worth of dreams in a month (perhaps that was needed ie more REM sleep or whatever).

Aurorix: works well for some people but can be a bit problematic with combining drugs being in the MAO class, combos including stims can be problematic though being reversible I found you just need to reduce stim dose and tritararte slowly as an AD it worked better for me in the first few months and then seemed to run out of steam but weight gain was not an issue.

Wellibutrin or Zyban (Bupropion) has been mentioned though if you can still get it Amineptine or Survector in my experience is a much cleaner and a more effective SDRI that actually inmproves your sleep and energy (I found it the best AD to exercise on and do active things on). That is why it is now hard to get I suspect (cynical yes), it would of put the boot in Zyban as a AD but not for stopping smoking which Zyban really helps with. Perhaps my good response to Amineptine was partially due to its efficacy as a SDRI in treating ADHD as well as depression. Amineptine is now difficult to find unless you regularly pass through India a friend told me.

3 of the above drugs are Servier (french company) neuro type drugs. If you can wait a little if you are in USA or Australia the new AD Agomelatine or Valdoxan sounds outstanding, I know there is always a fair bit of over hype and excitement when a totally new antidepressant just hits the market (probably because the drugs we currently have are so ineffective or side-effect ridden (ie TCA's and MAOI's) once you start approaching some effiicacy.

Due to the enormity of the human phase trials done by Servier on Valdoxan and the length of the process (due to repeated knock backs by European authourities based on minor details) many people have given agomelatine a spin and even some of the most sceptical types are saying yes at last a real antidepressant, practically no significant nasty side effects noted yet (give it time, but even if it doesnt have much side effects but if it works better than the others, competing drug companies that are more cashed up than servier, will try to bring it down as they did with Amineptine). I remember one official critiicism on Amineptine was that it could trigger or facilitate orgasms in older women with minimal stimulation (**** it must be a bad drug!)

Servier is reknown for thinking out of the square with AD medication. and it appears they consider getting fat and losing your ability to want to have sex is not the hallmark of a drug that could be honestly called and antidepressant. How the orther drug companies missed this idea I dont know, but well after all, in my culture beer is sold as a powerful antidepressant like drug and aphrodisiac! so no wonder we call drugs that make you emtionally numb, fat and asexual powerful antidepressants!
Sorry, but I find it hard to struggle with ADHD and depression for years with problematic medication all of it sold as the latest wonder drug and then not get cynical! Will Valdoxan be part of this pattern? They didnt even release Tianeptine in Australia or the USA! and I had to import it at high cost!

Hope this helps somebody
Beachwalker
The Following User Says Thank You to beachwalker For This Useful Post:
DichotOhMy (02-01-14)
Old 04-03-09, 12:48 AM

blackpen is on a distinguished road

different ADs affect people in different ways, even if they are from the same class and/or work on the same chemicals. lexapro might have caused u to to gain weight/ made u tired, but that doesnt mean that another ssri will do the same thing.

also, the reason why u gain weight so easily and why ur so tired, believe it or not, is most likely BECAUSE of ur deppression. so ADs may make u tired/gain weight at first but after a couple weeks the side effects should go away and in a couple more ur depression will go away (hopefully, if ur on the right medicine). and you wont have these problems

hope this helps
Old 04-03-09, 05:51 AM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpen View Post
different ADs affect people in different ways, even if they are from the same class and/or work on the same chemicals. lexapro might have caused u to to gain weight/ made u tired, but that doesnt mean that another ssri will do the same thing.

also, the reason why u gain weight so easily and why ur so tired, believe it or not, is most likely BECAUSE of ur deppression. so ADs may make u tired/gain weight at first but after a couple weeks the side effects should go away and in a couple more ur depression will go away (hopefully, if ur on the right medicine). and you wont have these problems

hope this helps
The "selective" portion of most SSRIs affect #1: The appetite regulation center of the brain, and #2: The sleep/wake cycle regulation center.

No matter how many T-bone steaks, baked potatoes, and pieces of chocolate cake I had for dinner, I was never completely full. Hunger and intense cravings emerged an hour later. I have never had less energy and eaten more calories to compensate for the exercise I wasn't alert enough to do than while on SSRIs. Food & sleep were my life. Oddly enough, many people I know who have tried or are on an SSRI speak of strikingly similar experiences...
The Following User Says Thank You to muldoon For This Useful Post:
La Sleepy (06-16-12)
Old 04-03-09, 09:47 AM

oddly enough this is my third day on cymbalta and I'm not feeling worried and stressed as usual. I work in a family business , I only work here because 3 years ago my mother had terminal cancer in stage 4 and I had to fly home after college graduation and I ended up working with my father by default. Since then I've always been adhd but never had depression really more so worry and stress that was always pretty manageable. Since that time working in my fathers company I became subject to too much negativity and my thought pattern changed...Nothing like hating myself or wanting to die more of just I got hostile and angry over time as months went by....I became hopeless which is not like myself.... Strangely I feel calm today on cymbalta.... I haven't felt this normal since college.
Old 04-03-09, 07:30 PM
Contributor

Hollywood- Glad it's working for you. Keep in mind an SSRI helped me tremendously @ first. However, after 9 years of it it the negatives simply outweighed the positives. Not everybody stays on them long term like I did (40mg for 9 years), but chances are, if you do, you will notice the infamous SSRI sides.

Good luck and try to keep the dose low.
Old 04-03-09, 09:44 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Wow, thanks for all the helpful posts, guys! I really appreciate the thorough responses!

Hollywood, I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. No wonder you had such a hard time afterward! I'm glad the Cymbalta is helping you though.

Just to clarify, when I say I gain weight easily, I mean it takes very few calories to make me gain weight. I'm very short (only 5'1" tall), so I have a slow metabolism. If I exercise daily, I can maintain my weight on 1500 calories a day. If I don't exercise, 1200 calories is maintenance. It's a pain because most nutrition experts say that women should eat at least 1200 cals a day when dieting. I weigh about 125 pounds now, which is 20 pounds above my ideal weight, so I'd have to eat even less to maintain a more appropriate weight. And I'm not one of those people who can walk the dog and call that exercise. Evidently, I did not inherit my mother's ability to lose 10 pounds just by walking up a flight of stairs. Instead, I inherited my dad's ability to gain 10 pounds by eating a peanut.

beachwalker, I've never heard of those meds that you recommend! It's good to hear that there are other options out there, though. There's hope yet! I guess they still haven't made it to the U.S. And I don't blame you for being cynical. I'm cynical myself, and I haven't even been through what you and many others have been through with AD's, because I'm too cynical to even try them!

blackpen, have you had success with an AD that didn't give you bad side effects in the long term? If so, please share your experience! I know you're right that AD's need a few weeks to really show any benefit, but I'm worried about gaining 20 pounds in the first 6 weeks, while I'm waiting for the drug to reach peak levels. Then if it turns out that it's not the right medication for me, I'm stuck with those 20 pounds!
Old 04-06-09, 02:55 AM

Ruby85
I didnt mean to suggest only lesser known antidepressants but I found these to work for me on the issue of stopping weight gain in the context described.

Drug companies are also quietly demonstrating they know it too, in that the push towards adding NE reuptake for it is just a backdoor to add a little more dopamine anyway.

Some of the antidepressnats I suggested despite the added hurdles of self importation are still available in USA and Australia in my case. Legality is a grey area but nobody has been brought before a judge to my knowledge. Price is the main hurdle, unless you regularly visit India which I do for as part of my job.

blackpen
I have always found I put on the weight after going on the SSRI or TCA not before when my depression remains untreated and I keep putting it on until dropping the SSRI etc.

However I beleive your comments can be very valid for some, and I am glad you raise them but isnt it a shame we dont know yet what proportion fit the model you propose and what fit the model I propose.

SSRI's TCA's so far are a problem for myself and according to my doctor I respond to them by packing on the pounds etc. Sure, I get numbed out to the depression with the SSRI as well as fat and impotent. My doctor suspects there is a lot like me but nobody is really counting much yet perhaps least of all the drug companies.
Old 04-07-09, 03:36 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

beachwalker, I'm glad you mentioned those drugs. New info is exactly what I'm looking for!

I agree that pharmaceutical companies are guilty of playing dumb in regard to the relationship between weight gain and antidepressants. Until recently, they've been claiming that AD's don't cause weight gain, trying to convince people that their poor eating habits and sedentary lifestyle are to blame. Never mind the fact that their eating and exercise habits didn't change after starting medication. And if they did change, it's just a coincidence that their appetite soared and they became too tired to exercise when they started AD's.

In the past few years, doctors have started to admit that most AD's do cause weight gain. The same thing is happening with the birth control pill. For 40 years, drug companies tried to pretend that the pill didn't cause weight gain and that women were just using it as an excuse to overeat. More recently, docs are admitting that the pill can cause weight gain, often without causing a change in diet or exercise.

Unfortunately, I do not pass through India on a regular basis, lol. Never been there, actually.

I guess SSRI's help a lot of people, or they wouldn't last in the competitive drug industry, but I don't see how they could help anyone with all these side effects. How does anyone tolerate them?
Old 04-11-09, 03:15 AM

Yes I wonder the same, do most people know what the likelihood of these side-effects?
I didnt.

I suspect most people dont as well. No need to pass through India to get any of these drugs though (It is just way cheaper for me when I do). I suspect Valdoxan will hit the American mainstream market (phase 3 trial well underway in USA I think I read somewhere). Just released in Europe and Argentina, been in Russia Ukraine a while now. Regarding Valdoxan (agomelatine) Servier have handled it a lot smarter than they did with Tianeptine. That is in terms of marketing for the rights were brought by Novartis for USA release I have read. So we wait and see, at least the feedback from Europe experience will be valuable if people start packing on the pounds with it, though that has been closely watched in year long big trials

They claim too, with evidence in peer reveiwed journals, it is more effective than SSRI's SNRI's RIMAs and TCA's on 3 of the main depression rating scales on a 6000 people sample and some have been on it for 3 years now.

Ohh I sound like a bloody salesman for Servier (sorry) its easy to get caught in the hype but patience and watching a while is probably prudent.

Aurorix and Tianeptine can be easily brought via online pharmacies but the best price I have seen for tianeptine is $45 for 60 tabs and people uysually take 3 a day. so pricey indeed for me (In India I pay the equavalent of $14 US for the same amount and quality).

Aurorix costs about $45 for 30 300mg tabs at (are we allowed to state the name of online pharma sources here) it begins with Aura based in UK and posts from Instanbul but it is very reliable in my experience and top brand quality.

regards
beachwalker (think its time to walk the dog on the beach, now theres a nice non fattening antidepressant LOL)