ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-09, 06:45 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

firstdesserts is a splendid one to beholdfirstdesserts is a splendid one to beholdfirstdesserts is a splendid one to beholdfirstdesserts is a splendid one to beholdfirstdesserts is a splendid one to beholdfirstdesserts is a splendid one to beholdfirstdesserts is a splendid one to behold
Extreme procrastination: just another problem or a symptom of ADHD?

I've recently had an epiphany of sorts about how procrastination is such a large and debilitating part of my life and how it relates to my ADHD-PI. I wonder what your experience with procrastination is like.

Visit the Exercise Forum here to check out the Get Fit Club, a group of people changing their lives for the better by caring for themselves enough to exercise.

"Spend a day in my head before you tell me what my problem is!"
Old 04-03-09, 07:07 PM
Zen moderator

Thanked 26,908 Times in 13,069 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Extreme procrastination: just another problem or a symptom of ADHD?

I am not kidding, when I say just thought to myself, "well that's an interesting question, I"LL POST SOMETHING ABOUT THAT TOMORROW".
It's completely insane, if I can put if off I will. I re-arranged my lists of things to do; if it must be done that day, I put a * next to it. So basically my entire life is constructed around procrastination.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
firstdesserts (04-03-09), worlds edge (04-03-09)
Old 04-03-09, 07:08 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,349 Times in 1,288 Posts
mADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond repute

I'll tell you later.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-09, 07:11 PM

mADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond repute

Lol, looks like Stef and I had the same idea. Posting from my phone takes too long, so she beat me to it apparently.
Old 04-03-09, 07:31 PM
Forum ADDvocate

sarey is a glorious beacon of lightsarey is a glorious beacon of lightsarey is a glorious beacon of lightsarey is a glorious beacon of lightsarey is a glorious beacon of light

Yep, it's to do with ADHD
I usually procrastinate, then forget, or procrastinate more.

I am who I am, and sweetie, your approval isn't needed, no matter how much you think it is!
The Following User Says Thank You to sarey For This Useful Post:
firstdesserts (04-03-09)
Old 04-03-09, 07:37 PM

Impulsive71 is on a distinguished road

We can talk about this later... like next March ?
Old 04-03-09, 07:52 PM

kwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to all

I have a paper on my bulletin board that says don't procrastinate! start reading, I just noticed it yesterday.

wheres a pill for procrastination when you need one?
The Following User Says Thank You to kwalk For This Useful Post:
ginniebean (04-03-09)
Old 04-03-09, 07:58 PM

karebu72 is on a distinguished road

When my family has some kind of gathering, they usually tell me to be there two hours before I am actually suppose to be there...that way I only show up 1/2 hour late. I'm not kidding either.
Old 04-03-09, 08:14 PM

vapno is on a distinguished road

When I would write papers in college, I would break them down into segments and schedule those in order to create stress about being behind on a group of tasks sufficient to overcome avoidance/procrastination. I would've broken them down anyways, but it helped.

I'm pretty much always late when I have a meeting or job as long as there's some way to rationalize that I'll have enough time to make it. Back when I interned with an NPO, they had flexible scheduling with most people coming in at 9:30ish but at least one person came in much later. I ended up having to set a be-there time in my mind. Of course, I was usually late by that standard. I made it within a range of that nonetheless!
Old 04-03-09, 08:55 PM

Thanked 3,129 Times in 1,638 Posts
Song of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant futureSong of Mercy has a brilliant future

Oh yeah, big problem with procrastination. In some ways I feel it is the largest factor in the multitude of mistakes/screwups I've done in the past.
Prusilusken (04-06-09)
Old 04-03-09, 09:12 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

firstdesserts is a splendid one to beholdfirstdesserts is a splendid one to beholdfirstdesserts is a splendid one to beholdfirstdesserts is a splendid one to beholdfirstdesserts is a splendid one to beholdfirstdesserts is a splendid one to beholdfirstdesserts is a splendid one to behold

Yeah, I thought so! Now, for example, I do know that after a lifetime of being late always (I was early for my wedding!), if I work at it I can be places on time consistantly. But other forms of or reasons for procrastination are much more sticky. They probably began as coping mechanisms for inattention but grew into full-blown crippling avoidance.

For me, the eye opener was from reading "Do It Now! Break the procrastination habit," by Dr. William J. Knous. Though the types of procrastination and the reasons for them are psycological, I can see that their genisis is in the ADHD. But all the counseling and books I have read hasn't touched it (I remember that I had started to read this book before, but took it back to the library without finishing it!). All - I mean all - of the types of procrastination the book describes are things I deal with/am guilty of!

It is hard to clearly separate the ADHD from the psyc in procrastination but the emotional and character flaws I exibit are real and undeniable. From fear of failure to being a snob, I never would have made the connection without what's in the book. I admit I am still a little dazed by what I have recently discovered.

Please tell me I'm not alone here!

Visit the Exercise Forum here to check out the Get Fit Club, a group of people changing their lives for the better by caring for themselves enough to exercise.

The Following User Says Thank You to firstdesserts For This Useful Post:
APSJ (04-04-09)
Old 04-03-09, 09:15 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwalk View Post
I have a paper on my bulletin board that says don't procrastinate! start reading, I just noticed it yesterday.

wheres a pill for procrastination when you need one?
Right on! Same here! Both things!

Old 04-03-09, 09:40 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Crackerjack is a jewel in the roughCrackerjack is a jewel in the roughCrackerjack is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdesserts View Post
From fear of failure

This was a big one for me. Still is to a degree for some things.

With others, I noticed I kept putting off things even if they were incredibly simple to do (cleaning anyone?). Things came to a head when I repeatedly tried to file a single piece of paper and kept putting it down. It got to the point where I actually locked into place in midstride and couldn't move.

When I thought about what was going on, I realized my thought pattern ran along the lines of "I'll do this now...no, I'll do it later." At first glance, it seems pretty subtle and harmless - after all, who doesn't think this from time to time? The problem was it kept piling up.

My solution was to actively re-insert the "I'll do it now" part, so now my thought generally run along the lines of "I'll do it now...no I'll do it later...no, I'll do it now." Sometimes you'll see me put something down, start walking away, then I'll do a 180 and pick it back up again.
"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering."

-- The Doctor, "Dr. Who: The Face of Evil (1977)

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Crackerjack For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (04-03-09), APSJ (04-04-09), firstdesserts (04-03-09), ginniebean (04-03-09), Safora (04-05-09)
Old 04-03-09, 10:10 PM

Thanked 13,642 Times in 5,040 Posts
ADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond repute

I have SOOOO done that and more than once. I'll pick the thing up, think I can do it later or after I have done something else, lay it down, leave the space... only to return in a minute because I KNOW how I am.

This is a place where my NT partner can be a real gift. We watch the early morning news together. Generally, at commercial breaks, he will identify the tasks that need completing through the day. He actively watches to see if I am on task and is very gentle about re-directing me if I am off task.

We tend to watch the evening (10 p.m.) news as well. During breaks, he will go over the tasks for the next day. He has been very careful to take up the subject of uncompleted tasks in a matter of fact manner and carefully. No blaming statements and a simple "let's decide to prioritize this for tomorrow."

I also carry a simple paper calendar with me. I have a PDA but don't use it much. If something is important, I post a note about it, usually on the bathroom mirror. But I am getting better at looking at my calendar in the evening so that I can see what I need to do the following day.

Never forget. "Normal" is just a setting on the washing machine.
Do you really want to be a setting on the washing machine?
If you do, wouldn't you rather be the spin cycle?
The Following User Says Thank You to ADHDTigger For This Useful Post:
firstdesserts (04-03-09)
Old 04-03-09, 10:14 PM

Okay, now for a serious post, not a lame joke like earlier.

I too am a procrastinator. I definitely have a fear of failure, a huge fear of failure. Failure isn't very stimulating, but winning is, so I'll keep to what I do well, and work on that boring thing later.

I definitely see where ADD is a huge factor in procrastination. Not only do I get distracted easily by things that are more stimulating, but I'm impulsive, so sometimes I jump into something too quickly, put myself out there, and then procrastinate because now I don't know exactly where to go or what to do. Also, I'm an over-thinker, with a hyperactive mind, so I spend a lot of time thinking about all of the potential scenarios surrounding what it is I need to do, and put it off.

I also used to really enjoy the pressure, the stimulation and challenge, of putting something off until the last minute, then swooping in and doing it with seconds to spare. I don't like that anymore, but when I was younger, I really did. Now I don't need the stress.

There is also the lack of executive function, and the billions of previous "failures" in my life, which lead me to put things off, sometimes hoping that I'll miraculously get better at whatever it is, so that I can avoid failure this time.

You aren't alone, FD.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mADD mike For This Useful Post:
APSJ (04-04-09), firstdesserts (04-03-09)