ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Methylin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Methylin (methylphenidate)

Old 04-09-09, 02:46 PM

Wanda112267 is on a distinguished road
Question How do you know if you are on the right med/dosage?

I am newly diagnosed and was started on methylin ER 20 mg due to poor prescription coverage and I don't feel any different. I'm lost in thought, forget where I put stuff. Sometimes I feel a little shaky, but other than that there is no difference. So I am hoping it gets better than this. Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions or input would be appreciated.
Old 04-10-09, 08:36 AM

merovingian is on a distinguished road
Re: How do you know if you are on the right med/dosage?

I think methylin is a solid place to start, 20mgER seems like a good initial dosage. I'd call your doc and see what she says, she will likely recommend increasing your dosage as they generally start you out on the light side and work up, it might even be possible to do this over the phone. Methylphenidate (Methylin) I believe is generally the safe bet and I believe is what children are most often prescribed for ADD. Whether it works or not, I'd ask my doc about trying at least one amphetamine based medication such as adderall or dexadrine to see what the difference is and which you prefer. If you like both I'd ask the doc about the benefits of rotating between the two on a monthly basis to help the body not build up a tolerance to either medications.

To answer your question, the only way to really know if you are on the right med/dosage is to try them all but some meds are similar to others. For instance, I'm hesitant to try Focaline because I didn't like Methylin and I hear they are similar. My medication Desoxyn has no generic at this time so that might not work. You can poke around here for more info... medications. Hope it helps.
Old 04-10-09, 09:29 AM

merovingian is on a distinguished road

Ehh, got my edit for the last paragraph in the last post in too late but here it is...

To answer your question, the only way to really know if you are on the right med/dosage is to try them all but some meds are similar to others so you might be able to save some time.For instance, I'm hesitant to try Focaline because I didn't like Methylin and I hear they are similar. If Methylin doesn't work for you than you can probably skip Metadate, Ritalin, Concerta and Daytrana as they are all Methylphenidate in either IR or ER form. My medication Desoxyn has no generic, no time release form and at this time and is rather expensive so that might not work for some people. I hear Strattera may have some weird sexual side effects for guys and is not a controlled substance for those who are at risk for abusing their prescription meds and there is no generic version at this time. Vyvanse is the ER version of Dexadrine. So if you want to try something different then Methylin and you have to go generic, I think it pretty much comes down to Dexadrine and Adderall which are kinda similar to each other or Focalin which is similar to Methylin, each have both ER and Generic versions. You can poke around here for more info... medications. Hope it helps.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-09, 09:44 AM

kevrudd94 is on a distinguished road

i took my first 10 mg pill today of that short acting, like 4 hours or somthin i didn't feel anythin so i took another half and then i feel like my body is on coffee but my mind is focused and alert. would this confirm an a.d.d diagnoses?
Old 04-27-09, 07:40 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

mijahe is a splendid one to beholdmijahe is a splendid one to beholdmijahe is a splendid one to beholdmijahe is a splendid one to beholdmijahe is a splendid one to beholdmijahe is a splendid one to beholdmijahe is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevrudd94 View Post
i took my first 10 mg pill today of that short acting, like 4 hours or somthin i didn't feel anythin so i took another half and then i feel like my body is on coffee but my mind is focused and alert. would this confirm an a.d.d diagnoses?
No. Your original diagnosis would confirm your diagnosis.

It is important to stick to your Doc's prescription plan and don't start altering doses yourself. It may take some time to find the right medication and dosage level.

Be patient... it could take a while. But once you get there it'll be worth it.

Please ensure you have read the forum guidelines.
Alternatively you can discover the meaning of life.

Old 04-27-09, 07:45 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

mijahe is a splendid one to beholdmijahe is a splendid one to beholdmijahe is a splendid one to beholdmijahe is a splendid one to beholdmijahe is a splendid one to beholdmijahe is a splendid one to beholdmijahe is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanda112267 View Post
So I am hoping it gets better than this. Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions or input would be appreciated.
No, not for me. Bear in mind, that since medication is taken orally, then it's under the influence of your digestive system. Consequently, the can fluctuate on a daily basis.

There's times when my medication just doesn't seem to be working - it's always usually associated with being sick, or eating something that gave me the runs, or lack of sleep.

It all works against your medication.

Also, if you're starting out. Then you're still trying to find the therapeutic level. Give it some time, work with your Doc, and you'll get there in the end.

Please ensure you have read the forum guidelines.
Alternatively you can discover the meaning of life.