ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Education This forum is to discuss issues related to ADD and higher education.

Old 04-10-09, 09:35 PM
Jr Member

ibrahimali90 is on a distinguished road
Focus Methods

Can someone post methods to help me focus in class?

I need to know how to keep myself from daydreaming and listen and observe every word that the professor is saying.

I don't believe in taking focus pills as I will develop a physical dependency over them.

Is there a natural way to stay focused?
Old 04-10-09, 11:59 PM

dololly will become famous soon enough
Re: Focus Methods

I had the same problem focusing in college and now I am having the same problems focusing at work. Have you thought about investing in a tape recorder? I had the same problem in college, I couldn't focus, and I would observe the professor during his lecture. I told a classmate that I was having problems in class and she suggested a tape recorder. The next time I was in class, I had a tape recorder and it recorded his lecture. I felt so much better knowing that I could pay attention, but I didn't have to listen to each word because I could take the tape recorder home and play it when I wanted to. It also allowed me to keep any of his lectures so that if I needed to reference back to something, I could. I hope this suggestion helps you.

Personally, I would not take a focus pill for various reasons.

That I know of, there is not a natural way to stay focused. The only thing that has helped me focus at work is that I developed a new system on how I do my work. I think that has helped me, but it is nowhere near perfect.
Old 04-12-09, 03:50 AM

Melvin is an unknown quantity at this point

Try and listen for important points the lecturer makes and make a note of them.

Don't stress about trying to understand everything, it's not possible. Relax and enjoy yourself, thinking you will make a mistake is the biggest mistake you can make!

You won't observe hardly anything he's saying unless you're engaged in the material, so it helps a lot to have studied and struggled with the material before you go into class, so when you get there and he starts explaining something you didn't understand, you can go "aha!, so that's what that is all about" etc., and the joy that comes with learning something new will hopefully give you motivation to keep listening.
The Following User Says Thank You to Melvin For This Useful Post:
kattsqueen (04-12-09)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-09, 08:06 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,468 Times in 641 Posts
FinallyAnswered is a splendid one to beholdFinallyAnswered is a splendid one to beholdFinallyAnswered is a splendid one to beholdFinallyAnswered is a splendid one to beholdFinallyAnswered is a splendid one to beholdFinallyAnswered is a splendid one to beholdFinallyAnswered is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibrahimali90 View Post

I need to know how to keep myself from daydreaming and listen and observe every word that the professor is saying.

I don't believe in taking focus pills as I will develop a physical dependency over them.

Is there a natural way to stay focused?
Ibrahim....unfortunately, I think you're trying to row upstream without wanting to use the paddle. I'm 47 and recently diagnosed and I always knew I had a serious issue with daydreaming. I never found a way around it, unless it happened to be a subject I had great interest in. I don't think anyone in here can really give you a "AHA!" idea that will all of a sudden have you paying attention in class. Proper diagnosis and treatment is really the only way.

I think many people have the perception that they are "weak" or "giving in" when they have to rely on medication to function at "normal" levels, but try to look at it from this perspective.

If a person has diabetes and needs insulin, are they weak because they are dependent on insulin to live a relatively normal life? I have high blood pressure and need to take meds daily to keep me from blowing a head gasket.

Don't bite off your nose to spite your face. You don't want to blow your education because you refuse to give in to medication. Dopamine is lacking in the inattentive brain. "Normal" people are dependent on dopamine too, it's just that their brains produce enough of it to allow them to go through life unaided by medication.

You wouldn't hesitate to use a leg brace to allow yourself to walk more normally, so don't hesitate to use the PROPER medications to allow yourself to think and concentrate more "normally".

Good luck!
APSJ (04-29-09), Melvin (04-12-09)
Old 04-12-09, 04:00 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Marspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond repute

If you need the medication, you need the medication. Good luck on natural focusing. I've been trying for years and nothing is helping. Not the fish oil (helps with asthma though). I wish I had had fistfuls of meds when I was younger.
That reminds me, there's something natural that helped me sort of. Green tea.
It sometimes helps me to focus. I belive it's the theobromine not the caffeine. (Or something else, but it's not caffeine). Read up on theobromine And it's not all brands of green tea either. I had most success with a particular brand of jasmine tea. (green tea with jasmine). Lord knows why. I bought green tea pills thinking they would help but not really. Maybe they are too refined? I don't know.
Old 04-29-09, 02:26 AM

Lopeman is on a distinguished road

try and make sure the class you're taking is at least somewhat interesting to you.
Old 04-29-09, 08:46 AM
Nondescript Moderator

Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,694 Posts
APSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I can't help with that, but something like this thing might:

http://www.livescribe.com/smartpen/index.html

Quote:

I've been taking ritalin for over 15 years, and have no trouble taking breaks from it, and frequently don't take it on the weekends. I haven't noticed any withdrawal symptoms or any other signs of physical dependence. I know one person who has been taking it for upwards of thirty years, also with no signs of physical dependence.
Old 05-05-09, 12:51 PM

Snow_Fox is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Erm.. If this is your *only* reason you really need to reconsider your stance on medication.

I refused to even consider add as the reason I was failing in part because I thought even if I was diagnosed with add I would not take any medications which I could become addicted to.

Then I met a guy who does heroin every night and will go into horribly painful withdrawls if he does get his heroin.

Then I realized he has better grades then I do. We share many views and we highly respect each others advice (something I find rare these days people who actually listen to the advice you give them.. I admit I'm no acception to listening to good advice at times).

However, as I came to realize how he gets heroin, how he is a responsible individual, and he would never harm a fly even in withdrawls unless the fly was trying to kill him. I came to realize whatever it takes to stay in college I will do it. I got tested and am on vyvanse right now.

ironically I never told my doctor I was worried about addiction and vyvanse is suppose to have a pretty low abusability...

I don't understand how I got by without medication. I realized the FULL extent of how bad my situation was. I was WORSE then many drug addicts out there before I started medication.

I could barely get myself out of bed in the morning, I loved school to no limit.. but, no matter how much I did my homework for the first few days of a semester... I eventually quit after 3 days. I procrastinated on everything. I moved 3 times (once from my dorm to living iwht my gf and her room mates) Then her and I moved from her roomates to my best friends for a few weeks over the summer. then from his house to our appartment (we had to get away from her old room mates and paid my friend to stay at his appartment over the summer since he didn't use it).

After moving from my friends to our appartment boxes sat in our apartment for literally 2 months or so until I freaked out at how bad our apartment was and moved them all out of the living room into our spare bedroom. I always let things get horrible (I never let food sit thank god... but, I didn't move stuff once I sat it down unless I needed it..) papers littered our apartment for a while.. it literally looked like someone just through the manufacturign equipment out of a meth lab.

We managed to clean several times but, it always got just as bad again. I failed 3 semesters of college. Even this semester I "failed" although I'm salvaging two classes.

I find the days when I don't take my medication can either go pretty normally or sometimes I feel horrible because I'm reminded of just how bad I was emotionally and mentally before I started medication. Only recently have I begun to feel like I'm even a real person and not just detached from the real world.

Everyso often when I don't take my medication I'm fully reminded of that feeling.

I would also like to point out that I hate all the negative connotations that surround the term "addict". Many people may disagree here.. but,
Religion is an addiction if you truely get anything out of it, Video games are an addiction, Working is an addiction, hell PROCRASTINATION is an addiction, music is an addiction.

At one point in time for no apparent reason I found I couldn't go to sleep without listening to the radio and songs I had to consider "good" had to come on before I could sleep. (eventually I got an ipod and made a lullaby list although they were different songs). Later on I realized I had to play games for 3 or 4 hours while listening to music to sleep, Some people are addicted to driving fast. sky diving and adrenaline.

I believe everyone has some sort of addiction. I believe addiction is just a survival coping mechanism. Now keep in mind I'm discussing mental addiction. However my point remains the same..odds are your most likely already mentally addicted to something, Physical dependency isn't a good thing and niether is uncontrolled addiction. However, if you are RESPONSIBLE you can avoid addiction.

I sometimes do my meds 4 days in a row and the take 3 days off. I sometimes do em day on day off. I always do my best to avoid tolerance and so far my perserverance is rewarded.

*IF* you have a religion which prohibits medication, I apologize for lecturing. If there are other issues which prohibit medication I apologize for lecturing.

If your only reason for not wanting medication is the possibility of addiction.. Your killing yourself.

(I should also note addiction runs in my family. My Grandmother is a coke addict, my parents drink nightly, my biological father was an alchoholic who couldn't hold his liquer and went crazy when drinking it But, even my mom and step dad drink nightly. They can quit when necessary at the drop of a hat so you can argue they aren't "addicted". But, they waste their life away in a drunken stupor so.. I consider that "addicted" despite their financial success in life.)

Which brings me to another issue.. so many people drink alchohol and think somehow amphetamines are "more addictive".

I hate these people who have begun to belittle human kind. I hate the automatic assumption humans are weak and can't handle substances which alter the state of mind. I personally believe addiction is a real problem, but, responsibility must come into play at every point in your life. Balancing your need for medication with your possibility of addiction.