ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 04-14-09, 12:32 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

twinch42085 has a spectacular aura abouttwinch42085 has a spectacular aura about
Should I eat before or after?

Hi all,

-I have a question on the effectiveness of adderall (whether IR or XR) and if it makes a difference how the medication works if you eat a meal before or after taking the medicine???

-I have tried both ways. From what I can tell with my experience is that eating before taking the medicine helps me better. The adderall is more intense and lasts longer. This stands true as long as I wait at least an Hour after eating.

-I take 20mg XR. When I do not eat I experience a uncomfortable hunger and the adderall does not last as long.

-Opinions????

Thank You,

Twinch
Old 04-14-09, 12:36 AM
Forum Guru

Old School MBD has a spectacular aura aboutOld School MBD has a spectacular aura about
Re: Should I eat before or after?

I need to eat first (or wihin an hour) or I may forget to eat for quite some time!
Old 04-14-09, 12:51 AM

dntel will become famous soon enough

I like the way it releases after eating a small meal. I also like to take my dose 45 min - 1 hr after eating. It might just be in my head, but I feel that the effect lasts significantly longer. Also, I hate taking medications on a completely empty stomach.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-09, 10:10 AM
Contributor

tlhengel is on a distinguished road

Hmm. I never thought of waiting a while after eating before taking my meds. I'll have to try that!

I agree that food helps the Adderall, although some swear that theirs only works on an empty stomach. I've tried it without food and it didn't kick in until I ate something 2 hours later.

I have a routine every morning. I have a cup of coffee then wait a 1/2 hour. I take my Prevacid and wait 20 minutes. I take my Adderall, Vit B & D (I don't know if it makes a difference if I take them right before or right after I eat. I've done both.), and then eat 1 hardboiled egg and maybe a banana if I'm still hungry. My meds kick in within a half hour.
Old 04-14-09, 03:01 PM
Contributor

tlhengel is on a distinguished road

ok. I did my experiment with some odd results.

I did some things a little differently. I had two cups of coffee this morning before I took my Prevacid. I waited my usual 20min before eating. I decided on a piece of toast with peanut butter. Waited about an hour and took my vitamins and Adderall.

I took a lower dose than usual. Long story but I've been splitting my 25 mg to try and get 20mg, but today I took closer to 15mg because it was 2 hours after I usually take my meds.

It was slower on the uptake. A little over an hour compared to my usual 1/2 hour but so far it feels stronger...more like taking 20 or 25mg. We'll see if it lasts longer. Usually my meds poop out in the evening and I supplement with caffeine but maybe I'll get lucky and won't have to.

I'll probably try this again tomorrow and stick with my usual foods and 1 cup of coffee and Adderall dosage, but wait 1 hour after eating to take my meds.
Old 04-14-09, 03:07 PM
Forum ADDvocate

xraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud of

Try your Adderall with protien!
Then add complex carbs about an hour later....guarantee, superior results.
Good luck!
You must eat!

Old 04-14-09, 03:16 PM
Contributor

The ADHD Fan is a glorious beacon of lightThe ADHD Fan is a glorious beacon of lightThe ADHD Fan is a glorious beacon of lightThe ADHD Fan is a glorious beacon of lightThe ADHD Fan is a glorious beacon of light

There are some mixed results with this one:

Some studies suggest that drugs like Adderall are more prone to slower absorption due to food intake: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12240794 than something like Concerta, so in that case, I'd recommend taking the Adderall away from the food window as much as possible (i.e. 1-2 hours before breakfast).

However, another test seemed to indicate that food status for Adderall wasn't such a big deal: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12432966

Vyvanse, which is a chemical "cousin" to Adderall, seems to be relatively immune to the co-administration of food with regards to absorption patterns and ADHD symptoms, but this is probably more due to the 1-3 hour lag time connected with the conversion process of the drug to its active form.

In short, I think a compromise might be the best strategy, say take Adderall 30 min before breakfast and then eat a lighter meal that will clear faster (a number of studies use fattier foods to test the absorption patterns, and these foods are notoriously slow to clear the digestive tract).
Old 12-19-10, 10:57 AM
Jr Member

moke64916 is on a distinguished road

I've noticed for me if I eat before taking my adderall, it takes a lot longer to kick in. And when it has it isn't as intense. The good part is that it will last longer. If I don't eat before taking it, it kicks in fast, I get the full effect, but it won't nearly last as long.
Old 12-19-10, 01:13 PM
Banned

Jester is a jewel in the roughJester is a jewel in the roughJester is a jewel in the rough

Eat whatever you can whenever you can.
Old 12-19-10, 05:56 PM
Forum ADDvocate

425runner has a spectacular aura about425runner has a spectacular aura about

Like "xraylady33" said, eat a high protein meal before taking the Adderall. That's what I've found works the best! Having a meal high in protein boost dopamine naturally so you'll have more to go with the med.

I usually eat protein, low carb during the day and have carbs at night to help me relax and sleep. Hope this helps..
The Following User Says Thank You to 425runner For This Useful Post:
Tgumps (04-03-13)
Old 12-19-10, 08:46 PM
Banned

Jester is a jewel in the roughJester is a jewel in the roughJester is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 425runner View Post
Like "xraylady33" said, eat a high protein meal before taking the Adderall. That's what I've found works the best! Having a meal high in protein boost dopamine naturally so you'll have more to go with the med.

I usually eat protein, low carb during the day and have carbs at night to help me relax and sleep. Hope this helps..
Meh I guess that works for you guys, doesn't work for me. If I eat a high protein meal I get such a bad stomach ache that I have to dose codeine in the middle of the day to relieve my pain. When I eat my meal I always throw out the egg white to make sure I don't get too much protein.
I'm a hard gainer too when it comes to lifting weights. I once tried to take a protein supplement like my friends did and ended up crawling in pain in the gym washrooms for 1 hour until my parents brought me the painkillers. Never did that again afterward. My kung fu teacher said he drinks 6 raw eggs in the morning before training and I said to my self my God, if I do that I'll end up to the ER.

That's me!
Old 12-19-10, 10:00 PM

shelly7783 is on a distinguished road

I have only been taking addreall for three weeks, but I haven't really played around much with the eating aspect. I take my first 10mg dose at 5:00am, the same time I have breakfast, which is always a protein shake and string cheese. I take my second 10mg dose 4 hours later at 9am, then my third dose with lunch at 1. Maybe I will try taking the first dose without food, and eating an hour after once I get to work.

I work four 10 hour days instead of five eight hour days a week. So I definitely need my 3 doses, I just wish I could make the effects last a little longer. I might try going 4 1/2 hours between doses, maybe even 5? Idk, I'm still trying to figure out what works best.

I already eat a high protein diet. Not low carb or anything, just extra protein with good fats and whole wheat carbs. And I do work out every day on my lunch hour, I read somewhere that can cause the drug to wear off faster? But I don't want to stop working out then.