ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Education This forum is to discuss issues related to ADD and higher education.

Old 04-14-09, 01:09 PM

ADDSOUL is on a distinguished road
College Alternatives For ADD Inattentive Teens?

Hello everyone, this is my first post here and I just want to say the forum is very informative

Okay, so I am a college freshman, 19. I was diagnosed with ADHD inattentive type in August '08, as I started college, after suspecting for some years that I have ADD. As some would said here; I have hit a wall academically. I have always been perceived by my peers and adults alike, that I more intelligent than the average person. That perception would correct. It is when I have to make a deadline, do a piece by school projects, and parts of Algebra where that perception begins to become questionable.

I coasted through high school, depressed. From what I have read about inattentive types high school is where we fall apart; shockingly, I did to. It didn't help that my parents put me in a far more academically challenging school district. In middle school and elementary school I was at the top or near the top of my class. I was in actually in honors classes before my district switch. I went from honors to either near failing or failing grades in the same subjects I use to excel in; some high grade few and far between those 70s. I wasn't exactly a social butterfly. Although I found social groups that I was interested in; outside of school. Social awkwardness is a problem for me. I actually managed to graduate early. A real triumph considering out the 16 reports cards I received in high school only three of those had a GPA above 3.0.

At the moment I am in my last semester of my freshman year in college. I am on the cusp of absolute failure. I mean, 'You don't have to go home but you got to the hell up out of here' kind of failure. One can not coast through college, like one can coast through high school. I want to be a writer, editor or a lawyer.

I take adderall. However, I am either building up a tolerance to it, need to make a switch or up the dosage I think. It is only 10mg. I have been working with a coach/counselor. These help, obviously not enough. I recently took a few test for further diagnosis. It found I have depression(duh), anxiety(didn't need a test to tell me that), in addition to ADD.

I'm motivated to do the things I am interested in but the sense urgency I should be feeling right now isn't there for college. My ADD is not under control. Schedules and timers, all of that works at first, then I lose site of keeping myself on them. I get sick of people questioning if I care, I do. My parents don't get ADD, nor do they want to understand. They don't want to talk about, nor do they want to help cope with it. It's not that they don't care, ADD, to them, means that I am a special education short bus kid. I know that's not the case; right now, I don't need to them to understand. I just need to succeed. I thought I would succeed through college but that is hanging in the balance right now. I have hope I can finish this semester, though, I need a back up plan in case I don't.

In short, What alternatives are there to college for ADD people?
Old 04-14-09, 01:23 PM
Forum Guru

Old School MBD has a spectacular aura aboutOld School MBD has a spectacular aura about
Re: College Alternatives For ADD Inattentive Teens?

I am adhd (hyper type), but here are my suggestions:
How about Technical Trade School, or an apprenticeship in a union trade????

I tried college fresh out of high school, and it wasn't for me! Then when in my mid thirties, I went to auto mechanics school and graduated with an A.A.S. in automotive technology (3.1gpa). The trade schools are more hands on than just going to get a general degree. There are related english and math courses if you go to a community college, but they are related specifically to what you are studying.

Unions offer trade apprentiships where you recieve hands on training in a good paying field.
Old 04-15-09, 03:42 PM

Greystar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDSOUL View Post

I take adderall. However, I am either building up a tolerance to it, need to make a switch or up the dosage I think. It is only 10mg. I have been working with a coach/counselor. These help, obviously not enough. I recently took a few test for further diagnosis. It found I have depression(duh), anxiety(didn't need a test to tell me that), in addition to ADD.

I'm motivated to do the things I am interested in but the sense urgency I should be feeling right now isn't there for college. My ADD is not under control. Schedules and timers, all of that works at first, then I lose site of keeping myself on them. I get sick of people questioning if I care, I do. My parents don't get ADD, nor do they want to understand. They don't want to talk about, nor do they want to help cope with it. It's not that they don't care, ADD, to them, means that I am a special education short bus kid. I know that's not the case; right now, I don't need to them to understand. I just need to succeed. I thought I would succeed through college but that is hanging in the balance right now. I have hope I can finish this semester, though, I need a back up plan in case I don't.

In short, What alternatives are there to college for ADD people?
You really should talk to your doctor about the fact that the medication doesn't seem to he helping.

Don't give up on school. I gave up on school when I was 19 and took a union job doing easy, but mind-numbingly boring for about 7 years (note: it was a labor union, not a trade union. If you learn a trade, the work will generally be more interesting and challenging than what I was doing). The pay and benefits were excellent, but that doesn't make doing something that makes your miserable any more bearable.

After 7 years of hating what I was doing every day and being utterly miserable, I decided that it was time to do what I wanted to do. I quit my job and am now back in school and dealing with my probable ADD as best I can (I haven't been diagnosed, so I can't say that I have it for sure).

You absolutely can coast through college, but if you're coasting through it you're doing it wrong (in my opinion anyways). You should be learning something that interests you and is a challenge. I could coast through an English or History degree, because I enjoy them both and am good at both, but they're not what I want to do for the rest of my life.

What is happening to you right now might be a good wake up call for you. You obviously are seeing that your meds aren't helping, so get that sorted ASAP. That should help a bit, but don't expect everything to be easy.

Everything has always been easy for me, so when I run into something that's not (Calculus at the moment), I get really frustrated, but I've learned to deal with that a little better. A good friend of mine who has _really_ bad ADHD has been a lot of help, because I can talk to her and she knows exactly what I'm going through and encourages me a lot when everything is bothering me. Her doctor said he's never seen ADHD as bad as hers, yet she has a BA in English, BS in Biology an MS in Microbiology, so if she can accomplish all that, anyone can certainly accomplish their goals if they get the help they need.

Just remember, something not being easy for you does NOT mean that you're not capable of doing it. It just means that it's worth doing!
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-09, 09:10 PM

ADDSOUL is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your responses, they were helpful. I will work through college as all is not lost with; it just feels that way because I have never, ever done this bad. After a look around this site and talking to my dad I discovered he has Asperger's. Undiagnosed, however, symptoms are shocking accurate.