ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Dexedrine/Dextrostat
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Dexedrine/Dextrostat (dextroamphetamine)

Old 04-17-09, 04:01 PM

bird88 is on a distinguished road
New guy on dex trial seeks answers plz.

Hey greetings

New guy here, and pleasure to be amongst like minded people, sure am glad this place exists
So I'm 22 years old with ADHD of the worst kind,which sucks Been recently diagnosed,about time! Dont wanna bore you guys with to many details.
So i'm currently trialing Dex(BEST THING EVER) and have a few questions concerns with this wonder drug which hopefully some of the more experienced can help with as specific info is near impossible to find.

1.Does it seriously become useless after a set time? , is that a realistic possibility if so that scares the **** out of me

2.Days off? do you guys take them, i had one today and was awful. Reminded me what a retard i am without it.Couldnt see myself taking many days of it unless vegging out to do nothing, but i love to be able to do stuff to the best of ability and dont really have much or any ability without the drug to function or do stuff to the level i would like .

3.The Psych im seeing seemed to be pushing that the drug was not a long term thing and that we are trialing it and taking a more behavioral approach, to correct things i assume to keep me as a patient for more $$$. I personally find this insulting as i'm an old dude who has tried everything naturally possible and believe this disorder has nothing to do with lack of trying or going about it wrong, just simply i cant damn concentrate. And Dex is the only thing keeping me sane without it i feel crap, and hate my otherwise wasted potential,adhd traits, with out it i feel like have nothing to lose.
If i made my viewpoint clear, that the Dex has been the only thing to help,the light at the end of the tunnel, and that i believe Ive tried infinite behavioral stuff to no effect and am reluctant to spend money on something that is unlikely to work. Could he deny my needs and interests?
or does what ever the professional decides for whatever reason they choose if any, take precedence over the patient?

Thanks in advance
you guys rule
Old 04-17-09, 10:32 PM

demitriden will become famous soon enough
Re: New guy on dex trial seeks answers plz.

what manufacturer is your dex? or what does the pills look like?
Old 04-18-09, 03:58 AM

Australian generic brand, just 2x5mg twice daily, and looks like a dex tablet white and small....

Standing on a razor's edge, lost in space and time.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-09, 12:42 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Ruby85 has a spectacular aura aboutRuby85 has a spectacular aura about

No, it's not destined to become useless after awhile. Some people develop a tolerance, but some don't. If it's working for you, let it work for you and stop worrying!
The Following User Says Thank You to Ruby85 For This Useful Post:
weezie79 (04-21-09)
Old 04-21-09, 01:46 AM
Jr Member

weezie79 is on a distinguished road

Yeah with all the negativity out there it's hard not to get caught up in feeling "naughty" for benefiting from dex use.

I upped my dose from 5mg TID to 10mg TID myself after 10 days and was embarassed when I told my psych. He was actually pleased I did it and told me not to be paranoid... he said getting the right dose is often difficult and it's up to the user to know whether it's working or not.

10mg per dose seems about right as it allows me to focus on tasks. I don't get a euphoria... that only lasted for the first 3 days and was a "sedate" eurphoria (if that makes sense).

When you are prone to anxious, negative thoughts it's hard not to simply enjoy the positive effects it has.
Old 04-21-09, 06:15 AM
ADDvanced Member

kara59 has a spectacular aura aboutkara59 has a spectacular aura about

Hi bird88,

Welcome to the forum.

I have been on the same dose of dexedrine for over three years now (two 10 mg. spansules daily) and have had effective coverage throughout that time.

I do not take medication breaks, unless I am sick, I normally do not take the med so I can sleep all day.

I also have monthly therapy appointments where behavior modification options are discussed as a means of coping tools.

For me, a combonation of medication, therapy and overall self-care (diet, sleep, exersize) is what works best.

Best of luck to you, kara59
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kara59 For This Useful Post:
bird88 (04-21-09), Melvin (04-21-09)
Old 04-22-09, 03:25 PM

Thanks for the good answers guys
really apreciate it

Standing on a razor's edge, lost in space and time.
Old 04-23-09, 06:56 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,620 Times in 802 Posts
Michiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond repute

1.Does it seriously become useless after a set time? , is that a realistic possibility if so that scares the **** out of me

The dexedrine I take is immediate release, so I have to take it up to three times a day. I also take Strattera which I guess is supposed to be longer acting (?)

You may need something to help jog your memory to take your meds, but don't under estimate the ability to get into a routine. Yes dexedrine might wear off, but hopefully you'll be able to remember to take your meds before you 'bottom out.'

2.Days off?
As you said, usually on the days when I'm just vegging out I don't need them. But generally I find I have to take at least one dose. Otherwise I feel very lethargic and 'foggy' without them.

3.The Psych im seeing seemed to be pushing that the drug was not a long term thing and that we are trialing it and taking a more behavioral approach, to correct things i assume to keep me as a patient for more $$$.
Well you may have to seek another doctor if you disagree with his/her plan of care. You're certainly entitled to that.