ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Children's Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Children's Diagnosis & Treatment This forums is for parents to discuss issues related to diagnosis and treament of children with AD/HD

Old 04-21-09, 03:34 PM

Greybeard is on a distinguished road
EEG Biofeedback - Effective?

My wife and I recently starting treating my five year old son (ADHD/PDD NOS) with EEG Biofeedback sessions. The psychologist who runs the program claims that most children with ADHD receiving this type of treatment either (i) need significantly less medication or (ii) no longer need any medication at all. Needless to say, these claims are starling.

So far, my wife and I have been able to reduce my son's medication by 5mg (15+ sessions). I'm not sure if it's a coincidence or it's because of the treatment. We recently had to reduce the treatments, due to a family vacation, and my son's tolerance for the medication suddenly increased (we're up by 5mg again). To me, it *seems* to indicate some degree of effectiveness, but, again, I'm a natural skeptic.

Have any of you had experience with this type of treatment? If so, please share your experiences.
Old 04-22-09, 12:30 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

MGDAD has much to be proud ofMGDAD has much to be proud ofMGDAD has much to be proud ofMGDAD has much to be proud ofMGDAD has much to be proud ofMGDAD has much to be proud ofMGDAD has much to be proud ofMGDAD has much to be proud ofMGDAD has much to be proud ofMGDAD has much to be proud of
Re: EEG Biofeedback - Effective?

Most accounts of these type of treatments show benefits while being treated, then the benefit goes away when the treatment is stopped. Your experience seems to match that. Plus, the treatments are very expensive.

So, you are left with the choice of continuing the treatments or going back to medications. Not much long term evidence showing that the treatments can "cure" anything. Although, the medications certainly don't cure it either.

Good luck.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MGDAD For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (04-22-09), Greybeard (05-04-09)