ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 04-21-09, 07:00 PM
Jr Member

momwithadhd is on a distinguished road
Sleepiness on Adderall

Okay so I just found out at the age of 30 that I have ADHD. Well I have done the testing and the results was that I have ADHD, Anxiety and Depression. Well I take 20mg of Adderall XR in the morning and around 1:30pm I am suppose to take 10mg of the regular Adderall. That was because I was coming down from the XR when it was time for my 5 year old to get home from school. And of course when I was coming down I was a grouch and wanted complete silence and I want to be left alone. Well I can't have that kind of life because my husband is deployed. Well thats when the doctor gave me the 10mg of the regular adderall to keep me from crashing. And when I did crash it would be after the kids was in the bed. Well I have been on it for almost 2 months. The 20mgs started to act like it wasn't working. So he bumped me up to 40mg in the morning of the XR and 20mg in the afternoons of the regular one. Well I found myself staying up till after 3 am. And I can't have that. Plus with the 40mg I found my self like having to keep busy. So droped myself down to 30mg in the morning and 20mg in the afternoon. Well I forgot to tell him I was running low on the 10mg tablets. So I was taking the full 40mg for a week. And I found myself just wanting to lay down and sleep. Well since I have the anxiety I have to take a Xanax with my Adderall. If I don't I have bad anxiety attacks when the adderall starts working. So I take those together and I am fine. So I went to the doctor and told him that I am finding myself wanting to just sleep after I take the Adderall XR in the mornings. He said that the 40mg was to strong. So he droped me down to 20mg. I am still wanting to fall asleep shortly after I take the Adderall XR. I stop taking the afternoon dose because I need sleep with a 1 year old and a 5 year old. So I decided to give myself a couple days break from the adderall. After about 3 days I took one and it worked like it was suppose to. I never got sleepy or nothing. Took another dose the next day same way. Well today I took another one this being the 3rd day in a row and I found myself sleepy. But I asked the Psychiatrist who was telling me my test results that it is normal for ADHD medication can make you feel sleepy one day and keep you on track the next. But he say I should diffently talk to my doctor about it. Has anybody else had this problem or what?

Or let me guess I am a very odd person who is the only one going through this. LOL
Old 04-21-09, 07:07 PM
Forum Guru

Old School MBD has a spectacular aura aboutOld School MBD has a spectacular aura about
Re: Sleepiness on Adderall

You are not alone. Although it does not effect me in the same way as you, I have read others on here complain of the same thing.

Hang in there, it may take several DR visits to get your dosage correct. But its well worth the hassle!!
Old 04-21-09, 08:40 PM

cairysse is on a distinguished road

not really related, but hom many mg of xanax do you take? and perhaps you could try vyvanse bc its longer acting and i think its also prescribed for narcolepsy, maybe. and your pdoc told you to talk to your dr about the sleepiness? like a medical dr? hows your diet and exercise? do you have a dog? lol. seriously though i get sleepy on my adderall too sometimes and i attribute it to a hectic schedule and poor diet. i dunno, like the last person said, you are not alonw!
Old 04-21-09, 10:02 PM
Jr Member

Well I have went from 20mg being to weak to 40mg being to strong according to the doctor. But now the 20mg makes me sleepy if I take them everyday. But if I take just the 20mg of the XR only when needed it does fine. It makes me feel like I took a nice long nap or maybe even a vitamin. I don't feel like I am anything. I just want to get the right dosage in me so I can stay the same way every day. LOL
Old 04-21-09, 10:22 PM
Jr Member

I am 1mg of Xanax. But I have to take those with the Adderall because the heart beating fast causes my body to have a panic attack or an Anxiety attack. But the sleepiness just started like a week ago. Before that I took 1mg of Xanax with each dosage of Adderall and I was fine. Yes I have a dog. I have two. A pit and a shizu. My daily work out when I am not at a doctors office is chasing after my 1 year old and trying to keep the house clean. Trust me I know how to do exercise from just cleaning a house. Last summer I before all this started I weight almost 200lbs. I lost that weight when I went home to visit my parents for the summer while my husband was deployed. I cleaned there 3 story house everyday from top to bottom. So I know how to exercise without going to the gym. Plus I have to take it easy with the gym and stuff because when I was in labor with my now 1 year old son I got a epidural. Well from getting that epidural I got Bacteria Menigitis. The days before they found it. They thought maybe I had pulled a muscle in my neck. They gave me pain meds for that and a muscle relaxer. But when I was getting worse everyday and the medicine I had wasn't working it was Thanksgiving day they ( my parents who was in visiting to see the new baby and me. And my husband ) called a ambulance for me. So they found it on Thanksgiving day. They said I was one day from being dead. Since I had the pulled muscle symptoms. So since I got that my chemicals in my body have been all out of whack. Medicine I use to take before the menigitis I can no longer take because I have a reaction to them. But I have learned to live with the back pain. Its like that is the menigitis calling card it left on my body. So working out at a gym is hard on me. Because right now with my husband deployed I can't be laid up in the bed in pain and on any kind of pain meds. I have a 1 year old and a 5 year old boys. But before I found out I was pregnant with my 1 year old I was taking Xanax .5mg twice a day and Doxphen twice a day. I quit both of those as soon as I found out I was pregnant. The anxiety didn't come back till a year after my son was born. I was laying in the bed and bam I had a bad panic attack. The medicine that my regular doctor tried me on was the anxiety and depression medicine in one pill. But the first one she tried me on I had a reaction to. The second one she put me on I had a reaction that ended me in the ER. Thats when the doctor told me that no doctor at the Naval hospital will give me the strong medication I need. So I had to go see a loony doctor. My first appointment when they ask you the 50 million questions I got asked if I have ADHD. I told him no. Then he asked if I had ever been tested I told him no. So he handed me this paper and told me to circle which ones thay fit me. I seriously looked at the guy and asked him if he had a hidden camera in my house because that paper explains exactly how I am. Well thats when I found out that Anxiety and Depression can go into hiding. It can stay hiden for months or years. But when it shows back up it comes back 10 times worse. So that is what happened with me. Now far as food I am mainly a vegetable and fruit eatting kind of person. I know I can't eat what ever I want to and stay little. So I have to work to stay skinny.
Old 04-26-09, 06:42 PM
ADDvanced Member

jeffpuffer will become famous soon enough

If you need to medicate the side effects of adderall with xanax, than you just shouldn't be on adderall period. That's ridiculous.
Old 04-26-09, 08:42 PM
Jr Member

I have ADHD and Anxiety. The way I first started taking the medications was. I would take the adderall in the morning and when it got to making my heart beat to fast I would take a Xanax. Well he told me to take them together. And since all ADHD medications brings out your Anxiety if you have it worse I need the Xanax. I have done the offical testing for ADHD, Anxiety and Depression. And I have all three. So right now he has me on the ADHD medicine and the Anxiety medicine. But he did change my ADHD medicine to Focalin XR. Never heard of it. I tried getting it filled on base and they don't carry it. So I have to go out into town to get it. And this weekend we had a motor cycle rally right at the top of my street so it was kinda hard to leave my house this weekend.
Old 04-26-09, 11:14 PM
Contributor

muldoon has a spectacular aura aboutmuldoon has a spectacular aura about

It looks like you're jumping all over the place with your doses. Your brain can't adjust when you do this.

If you have anxiety to the point of panic attacks, take care of the anxiety problem 1st. If you're going to treat your anxiety w/ Xanax, then focus on one med @ a time until you get that problem under control. After your anxiety is in check, wait awhile to let the possible side effects of Xanax fade & you have established a stable dose that works. It's harder to live with panic attacks every day than ADD symptoms.

Maybe then try re-introducing Adderall or Focalin @ smaller doses until you get the relief from your ADD symptoms. Keep a dose for awhile and stick to it. If it's ineffective, then have your doc bump it up a little until you strike a balance.

A good psychiatrist knows that stimulants can make anxiety worse in someone who already has a bad case of it. Who is doing the prescribing? Your Psychiatrist or a GP? You have a Psych but he/she is letting someone else do the prescribing and dose adjustments? And it looks like they doubled your dose when you said it wasn't working. When you're on a small dose like 5 or 10mg and it doesn't work, then doubling it is within reason. But not when you're taking 30 and it gets bumped to 60. I just don't get this. It's no wonder why you are getting panic attacks.

If you tackle one problem @ a time you're more likely to get better results. Your system is being bombed with different meds/doses in a short time frame and you can't stay stable that way. Make sure you're eating/drinking enough and getting enough sleep when you're supposed to be sleeping, and try not to get into the mentality that the meds will CURE everything.
Old 04-26-09, 11:57 PM

headspace is on a distinguished road

Just some friendly advice. Keep your dose low...Take "Med Vacations" to decrease tolerance. Stay away from caffeine. I also suggest pairing medication with other "basic essentials" I use to keep "balanced approach" to dealing with stress. Exercise, meditation and a support group to keep you in check. It's just my opinion but the Xanax route is a slippery slope. I agree with the suggestion to try Vyvanse as well although it has not a friendly medication for insurance companies with adults. Good luck!
Old 04-27-09, 09:13 AM
Jr Member

The first medication he gave me was Xanax. But my I was in the process of testing for ADHD. Well I have started getting more involved with my husbands unit and things on base. So I have to have classes to be certified. Well thats when I noticed for sure I had the ADHD. I can't tell you the first thing about the first class. I explained that to my doctor. He gave me 20mg of Adderal XR. I was to take that every morning. It does it job well. But I have to take a Xanax with it to keep the Anxiety and panic attacks undercontrol while on any ADHD medication. Then I started noticing that at the same time everyday I would turn into a grouch. I wanted complete quietness in my house. And if you have a 1 year old and a 5 year old you know that does not happen. Specially with daddy gone. So he gave me the 10mg of regular adderall to take in the afternoon so I would not fully crash from the Adderall till the kids was in the bed. Then the 20mg go to where it wasn't working so he bumped me up to 40mg in the morning and 20mg in the afternoon. That was to strong because I felt like a zombie. So I changed my doseage to 30 mg in the morning and 20 in the afternoon I was doing fine. Till about a week ago. I got to where if I took the Adderall everyday it made me sleepy. But if I would skip days of not taking it and then take it I was fine. Well he said the dosage was to strong so he put me back down to 20mgs and 10mgs. Well found the same stuff happening. If I took it everyday it made me sleepy. But skip a day or two I didn't get sleepy. I told him about that. So he gave me the other medicine and I haven't found anybody out there that has taken this one. So I am kinda scared to take it. But I like just taking my meds when I need to. That way I don't get dependable on them. And the doctor that gives those to me ( I call him a loony doctor). I aso see a shrink too.
Old 04-27-09, 09:14 AM
Jr Member

I do take medication vacations. With my ADHD I only take that when I need them. I don't take them everyday.
Old 04-27-09, 09:16 AM
Jr Member

Oh and I was on Xanax for 2 years before I found out I was pregnant with my now 1 year old. I never had the first with draw or anything. Infact my depression and Anxiety went into hiding as they say. And stay hiden for over a year and then came back but came back 10x's worse.
Old 04-27-09, 09:20 AM
Jr Member

I have been medical diagnosed with ADHD, ANXIETY AND DEPRESSION. I have done the testing and I have all 3. In order to treat the Anxiety I have to take Xanax. In order to treat the ADHD I have to take that medication. And in order for me to better myself by going back to school I need both medications. I never knew I had ADHD till a couple months ago. And that explained why I haven't went to school to get a career. And if you have Anxiety or depression you are not suppose to take the ADHD medication. Well the way my loony doctor told me to take them works fine. I don't have attacks while on the ADHD medications.
Old 04-27-09, 09:32 AM
Forum Guru

Old School MBD has a spectacular aura aboutOld School MBD has a spectacular aura about

One side effect of Adderall is a lessening of anxiety, which can lead to depression.
I had a slight, untreated bout with anxiety/depression just prior to starting my Adderall treatment 5 weeks ago. So far so good, no anxiety/depression (which are cousins of adhd, and often confused with adhd)

Last edited by Old School MBD; 04-27-09 at 09:43 AM.. Reason: clarification of relationship between depression and adhd
Old 04-27-09, 01:55 PM
Jr Member

Well I haven't had like a Anxiety attack in a while. But I guess you can say its the fast heart beating that causes me to freak out. I don't like that feeling. So that is why I take the Xanax with it. But its like when I take the adderall if I have a goal to do something the Adderall keeps me on that track and not think about anything else. Like yesterday I took one and my mind was set on cleaning my whole house and doing all the laundry. Well what do you know I cleaned from top to bottom of my house and got the laundry all done. So its like the adderall doesn't let you sit and think about any kind of attacks coming on. LOL