ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > General Parenting Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Parenting Issues The purpose of this forum is to discuss general parenting issues related to children with AD/HD(ADD & ADHD)

Old 08-06-09, 03:29 PM
Forum Guru

MuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud of
Re: Proud Moments

My 8 yo son was recently diagnosed with ADHD and after some experimenting just started Concerta this past weekend. He is doing chess camp this week and I asked the teacher today how his behavior was. (I didn't say anything about him having ADHD to them previously) The teacher said that he was fine, no problems at all and was actually one of the best ones in the class. He seemed puzzled that I was even asking.

This is my son who has been unable to sit in his seat in school without jumping around and blurting out answers and in general just being way too 'busy'.

I am really hopeful that this coming school year is going to be great!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MuscleMama For This Useful Post:
Dannywallnuts (05-26-10), Justtess (08-06-09), meridian (05-29-10), MyGuysMom (08-07-09), Valerie3 (08-18-09)
Old 11-02-09, 09:59 PM
Forum Guru

MuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud of

My son was the only child in his class accepted into the gifted program at school that starts in 3rd grade. So far this year is going well for him!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MuscleMama For This Useful Post:
Dannywallnuts (05-26-10), meridian (05-29-10)
Old 11-08-09, 10:12 PM
ADDvanced Member

Normal Mom is just really niceNormal Mom is just really niceNormal Mom is just really niceNormal Mom is just really nice

My Son is doing very well in his Karate tourney this weekend! He has made it into the finals tomorrow
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-09, 03:47 AM
Jr Member

Kimbo is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: Proud Moments

Kellan got a "Lovely work" certificate at school yesterday!!! This is the kid that they said they will have to hold back because he just cant concentrate and sit still. Second day on Ritalin and he is different kid at school.
this morning we were terribly late......again.......but at the same time at least he put his shoes and socks on only the 2nd time I asked....and that is a HUGE thing in our house.
Please go and have a look at his certificate, it is posted on my blog Chaotic Kellan - A healthy dose of ADHD It is just a blog about our journey through the wonderful world of ADHD, and gives a little insight into a normal home turned upside down by an awesome little boy

YAI!!!!! so proud

Mommy Madness !!
A healthy dose of ADHD - Blog
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kimbo For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-09, 01:57 PM

NUTZYMAMA80 is on a distinguished road

My daughter gives me reasons to be proud of her everyday!

This morning she got up before me and wanted to play video games (big no no)... and didn't... amazing for my daughter.

Yesterday I found out she had befriended the new boy in class, he has Downs and is partially blind, and when some others were picking on him she defended him saying... and I quote "you guys don't have the right to pick on him just because he's different. How'd you like it if I said Ooo your hair's the same colour of poop, or you have big teeth, like a buck tooth beaver. Grow up and Shut up" She may have had recess taken away for the rest of the week (hell for her) but all I could think was 'That's my baby' .

Whether she has composed another song for me or laid in the grass to show her sister the shapes formed by the tree branches against the sky, despite the trials we face everyday...
I'm proud of the unique way she views the world. (And introduces her world to others).

I'm just proud I get to know her!

Last edited by NUTZYMAMA80; 12-11-09 at 02:23 PM.. Reason: 1st one didn't work the way I wanted it to.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NUTZYMAMA80 For This Useful Post:
Dannywallnuts (05-26-10), meridian (05-29-10), psychokitty (11-21-13)
Old 12-15-09, 12:06 PM
ADDvanced Member

MyGuysMom is a jewel in the roughMyGuysMom is a jewel in the roughMyGuysMom is a jewel in the rough

My guy was a narrator in the 3rd grade assembly today - Journey Around the World. He did the introduction to a medley of Russian folk songs. The auditorium was packed with parents and other students, and he walked up to the microphone and spoke slowly and clearly and with expression. He generally does well with public speaking (he's great at reading poetry aloud in class), but this was a big assembly. Later, he danced the samba with his class. He probably does not have a future as a Latin dance sensation (LOL), but it was so cute to see him up there.

Nutzymama - that is great that your daughter spoke up. Sorry she was punished - I only hope that the kids who were picking on the boy were punished too. Actually, I don't think she should have been punished at all. This seems to be a great opportunity for a teacher to speak to kids about how to treat others, and also praise her for speaking up. Now, maybe they would have liked it to be articulated differently, but these are kids. You can work on how it is presented, but I don't think the impulse to speak up and defend another should be stifled.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MyGuysMom For This Useful Post:
Dannywallnuts (05-26-10), meridian (05-29-10), NUTZYMAMA80 (12-16-09)
Old 01-05-10, 12:08 AM
Forum Guru

Justtess has much to be proud ofJusttess has much to be proud ofJusttess has much to be proud ofJusttess has much to be proud ofJusttess has much to be proud ofJusttess has much to be proud ofJusttess has much to be proud ofJusttess has much to be proud ofJusttess has much to be proud ofJusttess has much to be proud of

I have been wanting to post here regularly so I would get in a daily habit of finding something I'm proud about him even though our relationship is going through a really tough time right now.

Out of the blue, I heard my DS16 explain to his dad that boring assignments give him a difficult time. If the subject is interesting to him, he can sail through with flying colors but he has a hard time forcing himself through assignments that he doesn't have the slightest interest in.

Wow, he is not blaming me, the dog, his brother, the teacher, or the scent in the air. It appears he is trying to understand his limitations and take some responsibility for it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justtess For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-10, 08:27 PM
Forum Guru

Justtess has much to be proud ofJusttess has much to be proud ofJusttess has much to be proud ofJusttess has much to be proud ofJusttess has much to be proud ofJusttess has much to be proud ofJusttess has much to be proud ofJusttess has much to be proud ofJusttess has much to be proud ofJusttess has much to be proud of

He is becoming aware! We visited his pdoc today and I encouraged him to explain how the meds are affecting him.

He was able to say "When I get interrupted, I can't continue where I left off. I have to look around and figure out where I was before I can move on."

He also said, "The meds wear off around noon. I procrastinate a lot because I don't want to get interrupted and then waste a lot of time figuring out what I did." and "I don't know what is going on in class in the afternoon because I can't concentrate."

I'm so happy he is noticing this because in the past he would say everything is okay or blame something like a bird flying across the window. (It did not matter to him if I said he needed a quiet room with little distractions)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justtess For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-10, 07:24 AM

mom_jud will become famous soon enough

We have fought for 3 years to get a dx for my son now aged 15 he has finally been diagnosed with ADD during those 3 years he suffered badly with depression and hardly ventured outside the door and getting him to go anywhere (even to his sisters house) was a nightmare.

He has improved so much over the past twelve months since taking Ritalin and last week he went to a Muy Thai class ON HIS OWN - he was very nervous and I drove round the block twice until he felt the time was right to go in, and he did it. I am so proud of him I knew how frightened he was - but he said that if he hadn't gone in he would have been so angry with himself.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mom_jud For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-10, 08:52 AM
Forum Guru

mom_jud, that's awesome!
The Following User Says Thank You to MuscleMama For This Useful Post:
Dannywallnuts (05-26-10)
Old 02-15-10, 04:32 AM

dfwdad is on a distinguished road

My son splits time between my ex and I. He is 9 and getting on the phone and talking to dad is the furthest thing from his mind. He has learned if he just says "love you bye", it usually ends the call. So, it's frustrating to call. But, today!!!! He called me!!!! Just to say HI!!!! I loved it!!!!

gj son
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dfwdad For This Useful Post:
Dannywallnuts (05-26-10), Lady Lark (02-15-10), meridian (05-29-10)
Old 03-25-10, 03:33 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Sit-n-Spin has a spectacular aura aboutSit-n-Spin has a spectacular aura about

I have no idea if my son (almost five) is AD/HD. I'm the one waiting for a diagnosis at this time. However, he has been in various forms of therapy since four months of age. I wrote in the thread on fine motor skills (or the one on IEPs) about how he did get time out for scribbling instead of trying to write because it's so difficult for him. In any case, my mother picked him up from preschool today (I'm still fatigued from starting my Vyvanse), and he's wearing a sticker that reads "Great Listener." I've never seen anything like that from his school before. So, I hope it's okay if I post that here because I'm pretty proud!
Dannywallnuts (05-26-10), Lunacie (05-29-10), meridian (05-29-10)
Old 05-10-10, 06:04 PM
ADDvanced Member

MyGuysMom is a jewel in the roughMyGuysMom is a jewel in the roughMyGuysMom is a jewel in the rough

My guy did an amazing job performing his monologue in Acting 101 today for all the parents. He knew all his lines cold and was very funny, full of expression, etc.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MyGuysMom For This Useful Post:
Dannywallnuts (05-26-10), JenE (05-11-10), Lady Lark (05-11-10), meridian (05-29-10)
Old 05-26-10, 09:01 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,533 Times in 1,807 Posts
Lady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond repute

Steven made the academic honor roll. It's quite an accomplishment since he's only been at his new school since February, and before that he was in 4th grade (his new school bumped him a grade).

I'm really glad that worked. Those would have been terrible last words.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lady Lark For This Useful Post:
Dannywallnuts (05-26-10), livinginchaos (05-26-10), meridian (05-29-10)
Old 05-26-10, 10:36 PM
ADDvanced Member

Dannywallnuts will become famous soon enough

I would first like to thank trevors_mom for starting this thread. We need more positive threads on here. Also I would like to thank everyone who shared a story about their child with us. I am actually tearing up reading these. My nine year old is showing signs of ADHD and a lack of self esteem. I just got diagnosed a few weeks ago. My son is getting diagnosed right now from a social worker at his school, but my shrink recommended he get diagnosed by a health care professional. I made an appointment for him on July 14. He doesn't have a clue this is going on and I feel guilty keeping it a secret from him. But I am proud of him today because he is almost all caught up on his Math homework he kept forgetting to bring home, one more page to go He is such a good boy, I tell him he is special and he says he don't feel special he feels like trash
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dannywallnuts For This Useful Post:
Lady Lark (05-27-10), meridian (05-29-10), psychokitty (11-21-13)