ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 04-30-09, 04:29 PM
Jr Member

plenbike is on a distinguished road
New Generic Adderall: Dextroamp-Amphet ER: How are they working for you?

Because I'm not sure why i'm not responding to it.

I've been diagnosed with ADHD not long ago and worked my way up to 3 tablets of 10mgs of Adderall. It worked great but the duration was too short, effective only for about 2 hours. I talked to my doctor and she prescribed Adderall XRs at 20mgs, to be taken no more than twice daily. I took one yesterday, nothing. I took two today (40mgs! the most I ever took) in a 2 hour space, nothing. Aside from the bathroom, I haven't noticed the other side effects I usually get: loss of appetite, dry mouth, and sometimes small tremors. These are things I don't miss, but I think it's relevant. I also find it odd that I yawned a few times--aren't these stimulants? I really hate that I have to depend on meds, but I've settled with the fact that they're the best solution, at least for now. So what gives?
I have taken a 20 mg Adderall XR capsule some time ago and it worked fine so I'm not so sure if this is happening because of the switch from tablets to capsules, not to say I'm sure it isn't. The prescription label reads Dextroamp-Amphet ER 20 MG CBRR, and I heard this is a new generic that came out ealier this month. Has anyone tried these? Any diffferences with the kind you took before it?

I should also say my tablets were generic too (label read amphetamine salts) and even if for a short amount of time, like I said, they worked.

so again, what gives? can anyone see why these pills aren't helping my adhd symptoms, or doing anything for that matter?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to plenbike For This Useful Post:
m1trLG2 (05-27-09), musicman64 (09-15-09)
Old 04-30-09, 09:45 PM
ADDvanced Member

BJC81 will become famous soon enough
Re: New Generic Adderall: Dextroamp-Amphet ER: How are they working for you?

They are working great. I was paying $25.00 a month and now I am paying $5.00 dollars a month.
I was so so so happy that there is a Generic Adderall!
Old 05-01-09, 09:44 AM

burning8timer is on a distinguished road

tablets are IR and capsules are ER

what were you taking before, the adderall IR tablets?
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-09, 05:20 PM
Jr Member

Nothing, I was recently diagnosed.
Old 05-01-09, 05:29 PM
Jr Member

lol, I'm glad for you, bg, thanx for posting.

.. then it probably isn't because of the new generic.
Old 05-01-09, 05:31 PM
Jr Member

sorry burning, I misread.
Yes, I took the tablets before the capsules.
Old 05-02-09, 08:35 AM

LobsterMan is on a distinguished road

I recently went to get my 25mg XRs refilled this week, and I noticed that the price was quite a bit lower than it usually is. Upon closer inspection, the bottle said "Dextroamp-Amphet ER 25 MG", so I guess the generics are starting to make their rounds.

http://www.tevapharm.com/pr/2009/pr_837.asp

Upon first impression, they seem to have more or less the same effectiveness as the shire brand formulation, but I'm still curious as to everyone else's experiences and opinions.

They also look just about the same as shire brand xr's, but the text on them is of slightly lower quality and clarity
The Following User Says Thank You to LobsterMan For This Useful Post:
iliveinsalemor (05-19-09)
Old 05-19-09, 12:16 AM

SueT is on a distinguished road

They aren't working. My son has been on this generic for 9 days and he is falling apart. I call the pharmacy and I am puting him back on Name Brand Adderal XR.
He experienced head aches, mood swings, extreeme anger, he had trouble concentrating in school. I will find out for sure when he is back on the Adderal and then I will be all over the drug company.
Old 05-19-09, 01:34 AM

greylochdruid will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: New Generic Adderall: Dextroamp-Amphet ER: How are they working for you?

Hello everyone. I have never taken the brand name adderall or adderall xr. I have only taken the generic XR. Took a week or so to get used to them but I will be the 1st to tell u that they are working for me. My spouse likes the medicated me wwwayy more than the unmedicated me. He can have a conversation with me now and I am actually THERE and paying attention. I did have the a few emotional moments a little bit in the beginning but now that I take them more or less at the same time every day they are awesome. I have combined type add/adhd. You guys know the questionaire that psych doc's give you thats like 25 to 30 ??s. Well 22 of my answers in the questionaire were positive for add/adhd. I tried methylin ER generic. IT SUCKED @$$!!! I had bad mood swings and was irritable. The duration for me is usually abt 5-6hrs for generic XR give or take a hr. Usually depends on when I eat also. I take 30mg a day total. Three 10mg pills. Usually abt 4 to 5 hrs apart. When I am off work I usually only take 2 of them. The lady that is talking abt her son spazzing out. It sounds like the dosage is to high or something. Ask the doc to lower it 5 mg and see what happens. I usually dont feel the crash at all except in the evening when its wearing of and its time to go to bed.
The Following User Says Thank You to greylochdruid For This Useful Post:
Tendtodigress (02-21-13)
Old 05-19-09, 01:38 AM
Jr Member

iliveinsalemor is on a distinguished road

really? they are good? i am taking name brand but my next refill will be for the generic. I am glad they are getting, mostly, pos. reviews. I pay about $35/month for 60 20mg with BCBS. How much do people taking similar dosages who also have insurance?
Old 05-19-09, 01:55 AM

greylochdruid will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Re: New Generic Adderall: Dextroamp-Amphet ER: How are they working for you?

I pay 10$ a month for mine. I have United Health Care through my spouse's insurance. If I take the brand its $45 a month. Seriously though. Give it 2 to 3 weeks to see if it really works ok for you.
The Following User Says Thank You to greylochdruid For This Useful Post:
iliveinsalemor (05-19-09)
Old 05-19-09, 02:11 AM

craig0ry is on a distinguished road

It is a 25 dollar difference between the generic and the brand name for me. Next time I refill, I am going to get the brand name and see if there is a difference. From day 1 I have been using the generics and they seem to be making an improvement in me, but I keep reading these "horror" stories about the generics on here.
Old 05-27-09, 08:31 PM
Contributor

m1trLG2 is a splendid one to beholdm1trLG2 is a splendid one to beholdm1trLG2 is a splendid one to beholdm1trLG2 is a splendid one to beholdm1trLG2 is a splendid one to beholdm1trLG2 is a splendid one to beholdm1trLG2 is a splendid one to beholdm1trLG2 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by plenbike View Post
Because I'm not sure why i'm not responding to it.

I've been diagnosed with ADHD not long ago and worked my way up to 3 tablets of 10mgs of Adderall. It worked great but the duration was too short, effective only for about 2 hours. I talked to my doctor and she prescribed Adderall XRs at 20mgs, to be taken no more than twice daily. I took one yesterday, nothing. I took two today (40mgs! the most I ever took) in a 2 hour space, nothing. Aside from the bathroom, I haven't noticed the other side effects I usually get: loss of appetite, dry mouth, and sometimes small tremors. These are things I don't miss, but I think it's relevant. I also find it odd that I yawned a few times--aren't these stimulants? I really hate that I have to depend on meds, but I've settled with the fact that they're the best solution, at least for now. So what gives?
I have taken a 20 mg Adderall XR capsule some time ago and it worked fine so I'm not so sure if this is happening because of the switch from tablets to capsules, not to say I'm sure it isn't. The prescription label reads Dextroamp-Amphet ER 20 MG CBRR, and I heard this is a new generic that came out ealier this month. Has anyone tried these? Any diffferences with the kind you took before it?

I should also say my tablets were generic too (label read amphetamine salts) and even if for a short amount of time, like I said, they worked.

so again, what gives? can anyone see why these pills aren't helping my adhd symptoms, or doing anything for that matter?

Same problem... no answers... i'm left with about 15 days of pills that do nothing for me and make me miserable while not helping my ADHD at all. I feel like I'm going insane and have no control over my thoughts.
Old 05-30-09, 03:33 PM

dkaiser will become famous soon enough

My insurance only allows me to purchase the new generic "dextroamp-amphet er 20 mg" which I guess is made by Teva? So far I haven't noticed any different, and my total prescriptions are under $25 now which is not bad. I have been avoiding the message boards since taking the new stuff so as to not be influenced by what everyone else is saying. So far, not much difference but I'm interested in what actual differences people are experiencing.
The Following User Says Thank You to dkaiser For This Useful Post:
Tendtodigress (02-21-13)
Old 05-30-09, 03:38 PM
Contributor

Wintermute is a jewel in the roughWintermute is a jewel in the roughWintermute is a jewel in the rough

If I only ever get generic, then I'm not going to purposely try the brand name out of curiosity unless I'm having problems. Why fix something something that isn't broken, ya know? So far the generic tablets have been working great, and I'm probably starting XR on the first, and I expect to get the generics.