ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Ritalin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Ritalin (methylphenidate)

Old 05-02-09, 04:29 AM
ADDvanced Member

Arwen is on a distinguished road
Question "coming down" rebound effect of Ritalin?

Hi All

Just started Ritalin not too long ago and I have a few queries , hopefully I can get them answered. At the moment I'm still experimenting with the dose/timing, but Ritalin has been effective in controlling my impulsivity, fidgeting, distraction and ability to focus etc.

I get some nasty rebounds such as headaches, irritability but the one I am most concerned about is the effect of Rtalin wearing off- the 'coming down'. I feel like the world is closing in, and I feel so lonely and down. It was very scary as I was not a very good space. It lasted for about 2-3 hours in the evening. Definitely not something I would want to repeat.

At the moment I take Ritalin 10mg 3 times a day with the last dose around 3-4pm. My psychiatrist recommended I take an extra 5mg dose in the evening around 6pm to taper it off... She said that ideally she would want me on the Ritalin LA but it is not subsidised by the government like Ritalin is. At the moment in Australia Ritalin LA is only subsidised for individuals who have been prescribed medications before 18.

So my question is, how do you cope with a "coming down" effect? Or prevent it in the first place? Please advise, much appreciated! Thanks!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arwen For This Useful Post:
Abi (11-03-10), ndnbutterfly (05-03-09)
Old 05-02-09, 04:46 AM

kzaro is on a distinguished road
Re: "coming down" rebound effect of Ritalin?

Hello Arwen! I might not be of much help cause I'm also new to ritalin and I also experience these come-downs.

So, first splitting the last dose in two smaller helps I think, then I would suggest you to think and relativize before the come down, I mean, before you're in a bad mood etc, just try to be persuaded that it will happen but in a way it's artificial, and also about the fact that there's a part of that which just comes from ADD or hyperactivity.
I know that's not the perfect solution but that helps me a lot to know that i'm always exagerating things. Also at the end of the day, if you can manage to do something distracting, see a friend, watch a movie etc, and try not to think about that it really helps.
Also, if you're not too tired i'd really suggest you to do some sport, even if it's only running 20-30minuts, that really, really helps!
One last thing I've tried a few time but not since I'm on ritalin, is taking l-theanine, I noticed as I said in the other post that it really helps relaxing when I'm very tensed/stressed.
The Following User Says Thank You to kzaro For This Useful Post:
Arwen (05-03-09)
Old 05-03-09, 02:53 AM
ADDvanced Member

Has anyone noticed that if they take only a small dose it makes you tired instead? I took a "last' dose at 7pm last night and still couldn't sleep at 2AM, so I took a 5mg Ritalin and fell asleep in 20minutes. I took a 5mg tablet this morning to get rid of the yuck rebound effects, and have been sleepy... in fact I can't fight it anymore so I will be heading off for a nanna nap... so unlike me.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-09, 05:57 AM
Contributor

γ-quantum has a spectacular aura aboutγ-quantum has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwen View Post
Has anyone noticed that if they take only a small dose it makes you tired instead?
yes. but even a high dose (10mg) makes me tired. 10mg also gives me some sort of 'buzz' though, its not only tiredness... but i can fall asleep MUCH better even on 10mg of ritalin than without it! i havent ever tried it at night though, so i cant tell if the quality and duration of sleep would improve overall. 5mg makes me sleepy without giving me a buzz though, so i guess i could sleep quite well from it.

i am planning to ask my doctor tomorrow if its okay to take 2.5mg - 5mg to see if i can sleep better from it, as i dont wanna just experiment with the stuff by myself. maybe it interfers with the quality of sleep, same as most sleeping pills - you can sleep better on them, but your brain doesnt get the rest that it needs because the sleep cycles are messed up from the drug.

but maybe ritalin for people with adhd actually improves the quality of sleep... i really dont know, but i'll post what my doctor said about it here on the forum.
Old 05-03-09, 08:15 AM
ADDvanced Member

So an update now... as I was too tired to say much before

I only took one dose of Ritalin today as I actually wanted a drug free day (or days) and that dose made me sooooooo tired! I had to stop everything and lie down in bed for a few hours. This is the 3rd time this week Ritalin has made me tired... usually it makes me calmer, but sometimes it makes me very tired... like what the heck? Tired on a stimulant???

Up until half an hour ago I felt like crap and very down, I'm not sure how much was the drug and how much is my actual emotions. The down lasted 3 hours! Is this normal? I know that all stimulants have rebounds, but 3 hours of feeling like this is the pits!

Think I'm ditching the Ritalin, can't stand feeling like this. Is it too early to give up (1 week)? I mean, the 'cure' is to keep taking the Ritalin, now I know that I can even take it at night and go to sleep... but I want the option of not taking it, if I want to.
Old 05-03-09, 12:58 PM

kzaro is on a distinguished road

Hello!! I'm experiencing the same thing!!
When I take small doses I'm totally tired and I get no benefit.. For example I tried 4*5mg, so it's 20mg, and I was soo tired all day! And no speed except my heart!
That's why before quiting I'll try I think to take a "significant" dose, I've never tried more than 40mg, I think I'll try 50 and them maybe 60mg and then if it doesn't work well I'll have tried everything!

I really don't unterstand why this stimulant make me feel so tired and stunned...

Honestly, that's strange but like you it's been 1 week, and each day passing I want less and less to take ritalin again...

My only hope is that, with a higher dose I could get the same thing than the first two days : I was really focused so I could work a lot, and then when it wears off I was tired enough to go to sleep fast without being too despressed... I'm in the same case, I don't really know what comes from ritalin and what is symptom from something else, but that's not a good feeling
Old 05-12-09, 02:45 AM
Jr Member

reggi is on a distinguished road

i ve been taking this drug now for a few days and have noticed after about 2 hours (10mgs) i get that "coming down" feeling. its horrid. i dont feel depressed just lost and flat. i hate it. is this the way its gonna be?

when i feel it i take another pill but surely there must be another way of doing this?

i feel like ditching the whole thing...yes, i feel other benefits but geezz..i feel like an addict topping up every two or so hours.

HELP!
Old 05-12-09, 02:49 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,769 Times in 1,006 Posts
Driver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond repute

I've been taking Ritalin for a few months now and I'm all to familiar with the come-down.

That said, what I've found helps is:
  • Eat decent regular meals
  • Avoid refinded carbs - white sugar, white bread, white ...
  • Take a multivitamin daily.

When I do above, I don't get a bad come-down.
pADDyjay (07-23-09)
Old 05-12-09, 03:02 PM
Contributor

andyum is a name known to allandyum is a name known to allandyum is a name known to allandyum is a name known to allandyum is a name known to allandyum is a name known to all

A couple of things that have worked for me to reduce the come-down effects:

1) I take a smaller amount but more frequently. I started at 10mg 2x per day. I now do 5mg every three hours (3 to 4 x per day as needed). I don't feel tired doing this like others.

2) I found, mostly by accident, that if I wait a bit in the morning to take my first dose, it seems to go smoother through the day. I used to take my first dose when I was getting ready for work around 7:30AM. Now, I sometimes wait until about 9AM. I have no idea why this would be the case but it seems to help.

3) I do sometimes take a smaller amount of 2.5 mg (instead of 5 mg) later in the afternoon.

4) Above all, getting a good night sleep seems to be the most effective way of reducing the come downs for me. And, eating well like Driver points out.
Old 05-17-09, 07:33 PM
ADDvanced Member

elizadoo47 is on a distinguished road

Not on Ritalin, but Focalin (basically the same thing) my teen daughter does best taking her largest dose (7.5 mg) in the morning, after a good, solid breakfast. Then, about 4 hours later, she does a smaller dose (5 mg) and by mid-afternoon, a small (5 mg); then, around 6-7 pm, a tiny dose of 2.5 mg).

If she is eating very well she can sometimes leave off the tiny dose at the end of the day.

I thnk eveyrone has a different metabolism. My daughter is like a jet: jets use about 70% of their fuel just getting off the ground, the remainder is used in cruising. For my daughter, she needs the greatest "bump" early in the morning, and throughout the day, she just needs small boosters.
The Following User Says Thank You to elizadoo47 For This Useful Post:
JenSMP (10-20-10)
Old 05-17-09, 08:28 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,784 Times in 1,933 Posts
Imnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond repute

Your body's reaction to medication is influenced by several things:
hydration, restful sleep, nutrition, exercise, general health and comorbid disorders. How are you doing in these areas?

Phaedrus

Old 05-17-09, 09:29 PM
Jr Member

ridkidLA is on a distinguished road

I just started last Thursday and am experiencing the same thing! I am also taking Klonopin for anxiety/sleep (an absolute miracle drug for me) but mainly just at bedtime and maybe .5 mg during the day. My timing with the Ritalin is about an hour and 45 minutes after the dose, I start to get tired. At 2 hours exactly I feel like I am about to pass out. Now I am taking 1x10mg pill every 2 hours, up to 40 mgs a day. I just need it long enough to last through the work day. I hit the gym after work, so I prefer to have my last dose around 2:30-3:00 in order to keep my heart from racing out my chest. For me, the magic answer has been .5 mg of Klonopin right when my last dose is up at the 2 hr mark. It's easy breezy from there - no weird come downs. I just feel relaxed and able to focus through the rest of the afternoon. My MD is totally fine with this combo as long as I don't exceed his max dosages on either pill, which I definitely stay way under. I really didn't want to try stimulants since low doses of Wellbutrin and Effexor gave me insomnia and I felt like a lunatic. I started with .5 on the Ritalin and it literally was like a tranquilizer. I was shocked at how tired it made me! I see pros and cons of the Ritalin. I am giving myself a few more days to see if I want to continue or not. It sounds like we are all kind of experiencing the same thing. Is Adderall better? I’ve heard some stimulants work better with certain body chemistries than others.
Old 05-21-09, 12:55 PM

Edith is on a distinguished road

I have very similar thing - low doses get me really tired. Ive tested now different doses and times, also making notes about all other stuff. But still, im not very happy, that good effects last so little and coming down is very long. Its not normal. Ive tryed 5, 10, 15 and yesterday I took 20 at once. I had great focus about an hour and then I started to feel more and more tired. 5 mg is just a good sleeping pill. Today I took 10 2x (3 hours between) and it was quite as same as 20, just not as jittery. I actually got couple of things done I wanted to get done for some time, so its good. But this sleepiness comes too fast! I wish I could feel so well all day as I feel in those best Ritalin moments. I eat and drink a lot of water, also taking vitamis. My come dows are not that bad as many people describe here. I just feel sleepy and kind of indifferent, like I dont care a thing. Its better than feeling depressed I guess .
Ive taking it a little over a week and Im also thinking now, that is it worth it if good effects last so little time.
Old 05-21-09, 08:21 PM
ADDvanced Member

My experience on Ritalin was that the headaches went away after 5 days on Ritalin, and the sleepiness was mainly if I was understimulated. If I was quite stimulated (I have high stimulus ADHD) then the sleepiness didn't set in. Also if I took too little Ritalin I could feel sleepy.

After 2 weeks on Ritalin I changed to Concerta as the Ritalin rebound of depression was too difficult and dangerous to handle. Not as effective in areas, but at least not causing depression.
The Following User Says Thank You to Arwen For This Useful Post:
Imnapl (07-23-09)
Old 07-23-09, 11:46 AM

SemiColon will become famous soon enough

So happy to find this forum as I'm experiencing similar problems.

I have Crohn's Disease and suffer from a lot of fatigue. I also have depression and anxiety problems.

I finally talked to my primary physician about all of this and he put me on a few medications:

•Wellbutrin (for depression) 100mg twice daily
•Ritalin (for fatigue) 10mg twice daily

When he mentioned the Ritalin, I was confused as to why I would need it...didn't know much about it.

The first few days I took it, I felt great. Then, I started noticing that after my second dose in the afternoon I felt horrible. It was almost as if my depression worsened.

I have a follow up with my doctor on Tuesday but, in the meantime, am scared of the horrible side-effects after my last dose.

As Imnapl mentioned, I am focusing my efforts on getting better sleep at night, drinking more water during the day and watching what I eat.

I feel like I am alive for the 2-3 hours after each dose, but then the bottom drops out and my quality of life is very low.

Without it, I am tired. With it, I have a few hours of energy, but then hit rock bottom.

Not really looking for answers...just curious to read other experiences and if there is a light at the end of this medical tunnel.

Cheers,

SC
The Following User Says Thank You to SemiColon For This Useful Post:
Imnapl (07-23-09)