ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > General Medication Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Medication Discussion This section is to be used for general medication discussion and other medications not broken out in their own respective forums.

Old 05-04-09, 01:10 PM

cnicholls is on a distinguished road
I'm New -- Ephedra Self Medicating Question

So I went to a therapist and she told me I have ADHD.
I have been taking 50 mg of Ephedrine (diet pills) for at least 10 years. I drink lots of caffeine in a day, that has effected my colon causing blood in my stool. I ended up having diverticulitis. At any rate she said that I had been self medicating and that I need to get medication. She recommended going off of Ephedrine, Then she told me she had to go on medical leave for 6 weeks. OMG! So I stopped taking ephedrine and it was a nightmare. I slept for what seemed like the entire weekend, I took caffeine in the form of Excedrin like crazy to stay awake. It in turn makes me shaky and anxious with a short fuse. I crash hard on caffeine when that’s all I am on. I have been terrible to my wife and kids so much that they left the house and went to her mom and dads. I went to a Phyc to see if she would get me something. She told me she doesn’t like using stimulants (ephedrine seemed work really well) so I have the choice of Wellbutrin or Stratera to start out with. I feel like I am dieing without the focus I get from ephedrine I have been “clean” for 5 days and I cant stand it. I have a huge project that has to get done and my *** is sitting here reading this forum all morning. What should I do?

My main question is this for you with ADD like me who have skiped to the end already

1. Go with Stratera ?
From reading don’t think I can deal with the side effects. Was on Zoloft and had sexual issues and I cant deal with that.

2. Go with Wellbutrine ?
My wife is on it for depression, she seems to be tiered and it has taken weeks to notice any change at all. Right now if I don’t perform I am going to loose my job! I cant deal with that at all.

3. Screw it all and stick with Ephedrine or by Phentermine online?
Old 05-04-09, 01:31 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

ndnbutterfly has a spectacular aura aboutndnbutterfly has a spectacular aura about
Re: I'm New -- Ephedra Self Medicating Question

Hello cnicholls! Welcome to the forums!

1. Go with Stratera ?

Personally my doc made me go the Strattera route first. I had too many side effects so couldn't handle it. However, there are plenty of people here that have great results from it.

2. Go with Wellbutrin?

My doc wanted to treat my depression before even addressing my ADD and this was the first things I tried. It worked wonders for my depression but did nothing for my Add symptoms and disorganization.

3. Screw it all and stick with Ephedrine or by Phentermine online?

I don't know much of anything on this issue. But there may be others here that can help.

Is there not another doc you can go to? Good luck and let us know!

"Live like it's your last day on earth"
Hope does not disappoint!!
Old 05-04-09, 10:54 PM
Contributor

Grey Kameleon has a spectacular aura aboutGrey Kameleon has a spectacular aura about

The differences between Strattera and Wellbutrin:

1. Strattera is an ADHD medication, Wellbutrin is not.

2. Wellbutrin is a successful antidepressant, Strattera is not.

3. Strattera is notorious for awful side effects. Wellbutrin is. . .not so much.

4. Wellbutrin, in some forms, is a little cheaper.

There are other differences, and it varies from person to person, but these are my observations.

I would personally be very wary of any therapist or doctor who 'doesn't like using stimulants'. That's a red flag. If you don't have a history of substance abuse or cardiovascular problems, then stimulants are cheaper, safer, quicker, and less likely to cause side effects.

They are also much older than any of these new antidepressant-type formulations, and you don't have to take them every day if you don't want to. You will have much more control over the dosage.

Your choice, though. I've never really been on either (took Wellbutrin for 30 days), so I'm not comfortable giving a lot of advice.

Dx: ADHD-PI (possible misdiagnosis), Anxiety Disorder NOS.

Rx: Just ran out.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-09, 01:12 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

kattsqueen is just really nicekattsqueen is just really nicekattsqueen is just really nicekattsqueen is just really nice

in my opinion you should change doctors and find one who is not opposed to using first line treatment for add,, Stimulants

Personally taking diet pills was how i found out i had add....

or should i say when I started to suspect it-- felt calm focused and aware immediately

I thought thats what it felt like to feel high!!!

after a couple of months and about 20 lbs later my doctor did what he needed to do as diet pills fen-phen was only recommended for short term use back in the early 80's
He discontinued the prescription luckily i adjusted to the change as i went back the the way i was used to feeling.. Lack of focus anxious and depressed.

In no way would i recommend you take phentermine off the internet but I would take my evaluation which was paid for by yourself and or your insurance and find a doctor who would consider stimulants for you if you are healthy enough to use them

My son has to pay for a new evaluation because his was done 12 years ago and he hasnt been on meds for almost 9 years--- Another child whose add has carried over from his childhood into his adult years how bout that!!
Ps. I was diagnosed at the same time my son was in 98''

However my blood pressure went way high within a few months and once again my meds were stopped... So here i am 53 years old diagnose since 1998 and have only been treated for about 5 months
Old 05-06-09, 01:56 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Ruby85 has a spectacular aura aboutRuby85 has a spectacular aura about

Clearly, you are addicted to ephedrine. Please, please don't go back to it. You'll only be prolonging the agony when you have to come off it again. Used for weight loss, ephedra should not be taken for more than 6 weeks at a time. I don't even know what to say about taking it for 10 years (especially in combination with caffeine). That stuff is not meant to be taken long term!

I'm sure you know all this. I know the cravings are bad, but please try to stick it out. Otherwise you'll be addicted for life.