ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-09, 10:41 AM

lockedmyselfout will become famous soon enough
Book Help.

Ive recently started reading you mean I'm not lazy, stupid or crazy by Kate Kelly and Peggy Ramundo. The book is great and I have found out a lot of things I didn't know about add. It has helped a lot and I recommend it to anyone who wants to be more aware of what occurs in the brain of people with add.
The only problem I have so far with the book (Im about half way through) is that it seems to be based for mainly adults. Being a young adult I feel the need to find a new book that relates more towards college students (relationships, school, etc)
Does anyone out there know of any books about add that are written mainly for young adults and college students
Old 05-08-09, 04:34 PM

firefly25 is on a distinguished road
Re: Book Help.

I agree. I recently got diagnosed and most resources I have found are either for children, parents of children, or adults trying to balance career and household. Since I'm none of those I haven't found something that really helps.
Old 05-08-09, 04:44 PM

yeah i really feel like college students have one of the highest needs for education and help with their add. we have a lot of stressors in our everyday life.
anyhow with some research i found a book called ADD and the College Student By Patricia Quinn. all i have found about this book so far is that it is $14.95 at Barnesandnoble.com.
i am going to try to find this book at my local library after im finished with my other book. i'll let you know how it goes
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-09, 04:51 PM
Nondescript Moderator

Thanked 6,566 Times in 2,692 Posts
APSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond repute

When I was in Jr-high or high-school I read "Keeping A Head in School" by Mel Levine, and found it very helpful. Its written for young adults, and although its been a while since I read it, I'd highly recommend it. It includes information on the causes of LDs and ADHD(or as Levine calls them "learning differences"), as well as specific techniques for approaching school work and social situations. It doesn't exclusively focus on ADHD, but if I recall correctly a lot of the techniques are general enough to be helpful to both students with ADHD or LDs(or both).

http://www.allkindsofminds.org/Excerpt.aspx?productid=7

Last edited by APSJ; 05-08-09 at 04:53 PM.. Reason: typos. must remember not to use "quick reply" ; added link
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to APSJ For This Useful Post:
firstdesserts (05-08-09), lockedmyselfout (05-08-09)
Old 05-08-09, 07:53 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

firstdesserts is a splendid one to beholdfirstdesserts is a splendid one to beholdfirstdesserts is a splendid one to beholdfirstdesserts is a splendid one to beholdfirstdesserts is a splendid one to beholdfirstdesserts is a splendid one to beholdfirstdesserts is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedmyselfout View Post
i am going to try to find this book at my local library after im finished with my other book. i'll let you know how it goes
Don't forget interlibrary loans - a great perk of being in school!

Visit the Exercise Forum here to check out the Get Fit Club, a group of people changing their lives for the better by caring for themselves enough to exercise.

"Spend a day in my head before you tell me what my problem is!"
Old 05-08-09, 08:03 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

firstdesserts is a splendid one to beholdfirstdesserts is a splendid one to beholdfirstdesserts is a splendid one to beholdfirstdesserts is a splendid one to beholdfirstdesserts is a splendid one to beholdfirstdesserts is a splendid one to beholdfirstdesserts is a splendid one to behold

Mel Levine's "The Myth of Laziness" is also helpful. It deals with ADHD in the many ways it presents itself in several points of view.

"Late, Lost, and Unprepared" is written primarily for parents of students but addresses organizational issues that occur in college as well.

"The Short Bus" is about ADHD and other LDs in relation to society, but also brings up interesting points about relationships and the cognitively challenged.

Visit the Exercise Forum here to check out the Get Fit Club, a group of people changing their lives for the better by caring for themselves enough to exercise.

"Spend a day in my head before you tell me what my problem is!"
The Following User Says Thank You to firstdesserts For This Useful Post:
lockedmyselfout (05-08-09)
Old 05-08-09, 11:51 PM

thanks a lot. both those books sound pretty helpful. interestingly they are written by the same author.
Old 05-11-09, 09:58 AM
Nondescript Moderator

Thanked 6,566 Times in 2,692 Posts
APSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedmyselfout View Post
thanks a lot. both those books sound pretty helpful. interestingly they are written by the same author.
I don't think that's coincidental. In my opinion, Mel Levine has an amazing understanding of what life is like for students with conditions such as ADHD and LDs, in addition to being a physician/researcher who has meaningfully contributed to the scientific understanding of them. He's been enormously influential on the field of special education as well, and I know a number of people in the field who think his teacher education program, and general approach to the issue, are the best that there is.