ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > General Medication Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Medication Discussion This section is to be used for general medication discussion and other medications not broken out in their own respective forums.

Old 05-12-09, 10:18 PM

buffy is on a distinguished road
Will my ADHD meds make me fail a drug test

Hello all, have a question that I hope someone can help with. I work in a profession that requires me to have random drug tests. I am concerned that the Vyvanse I am taking may give me a positive test. I know that they ask you ahead of time if you are on any prescription medicines, but I would prefer not to disclose my condition/medications to anyone at work.

Not everyone is so open minded, and I dont need any aggravation at work if they think i am "unstable" or something.

Will a dose of vyvanse pop as drug abuse, or is the regular dosage small enough that a drug test will not detect it as "speed" or amphetamine? Should i just keep a copy of my prescription in case i test postive, or disclose ahead of time.

( I know some of you will say that the ADA will prevent me from being discriminated against, but in the real world discrimination is often subtle.)

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-12-09, 10:31 PM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 14,557 Times in 5,758 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will my ADHD meds make me fail a drug test

Quote:
Should i just keep a copy of my prescription
This one - if it is a legal perscription for you it is not considered an illegal drug it is considered a perscription medication.

Here is a description of my expereince being drug screened while taking Aderall

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to meadd823 For This Useful Post:
starkiller006 (02-12-13)
Old 05-12-09, 10:39 PM

r_and3g is on a distinguished road

I don't know the answer to this for sure, but I think that if you submit you prescription to the lab who is testing you, then they know you have it in your system legally and won't disclose that to you employer. It seems like a privacy issue to me. Your employer can't call up your doctors office and find out what medicines your on, so why would they be able to get that info from a drug testing facility. I would call up the facility your company sends people to and ask them what the law is, they should know.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-09, 02:47 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Ruby85 has a spectacular aura aboutRuby85 has a spectacular aura about

Yes, Vyvanse will show up in a drug test. You'll test positive for amphetamines whether you admit to it or not, so you're better off telling them in advance. As long as you have proof of a legal prescription, you'll be fine.

If you keep quiet, it will look like you're abusing amphetamines and trying to get away with it. When you test positive, you'll have to explain why you were keeping it secret. It will just make you look suspicious in the end. Bite the bullet, disclose the information to the person who needs to know, and keep your job. They'll find out anyway.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ruby85 For This Useful Post:
Canadian Mess (07-16-13)
Old 05-13-09, 05:56 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

firstdesserts is a splendid one to beholdfirstdesserts is a splendid one to beholdfirstdesserts is a splendid one to beholdfirstdesserts is a splendid one to beholdfirstdesserts is a splendid one to beholdfirstdesserts is a splendid one to beholdfirstdesserts is a splendid one to behold

This sort of thing is a constant source of apprehension and irritation -- nameless, faceless, clueless, and unacountable officials, beaurocrats, and polititian, etc. who are so prone to imposing untennable demands and restriction on already overburdened people.

Visit the Exercise Forum here to check out the Get Fit Club, a group of people changing their lives for the better by caring for themselves enough to exercise.

"Spend a day in my head before you tell me what my problem is!"
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to firstdesserts For This Useful Post:
Annwn (05-27-09), Rftn10 (07-16-13)
Old 05-13-09, 06:03 AM
ADDvanced Member

kara59 has a spectacular aura aboutkara59 has a spectacular aura about

Dear Buffy,

Disclose ahead of time. Provide legal documentation for rx from your doctor and then you are good to go.

You have nothing to feel ashamed of, please try to not impose this on yourself or the company for which you are interviewing with.

Best of luck! kara59
Old 05-13-09, 09:49 PM

buffy is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the input.. One thing wasnt clear.. do you think I should disclose to my employer, or to the screening company?

I carry a firearm and have never had any disciplanary problems at work. Just afraid that some will not understand and somehow think I am not stable or something.
Old 05-14-09, 12:36 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

The lab should ask you before the test if you are taking any medications that could give you positive results. That's when you say "Yes, and I can provide valid documentation for it."

Your employer does not need to know. But it's vital that the drug-screening lab has this information ahead of time.
Old 05-26-09, 08:56 PM

jonjon is on a distinguished road

DO NOT disclose this info to your employer !!

unless you have no other options, it doesnt matter if its legal or not some jobs have certain medications that are off limit to employees. get the facts from someone at your company who really knows the answer. you might find yourself out of a job.

i drove a truck for a couple of years before taking stimulants and thought about getting back into it recently and found that this type of med is off limits and i wouldnt be able to get hired because of department of transportation regulations.

now i know your not a truck driver but i have to imagine the rules for whatever job you have are far more strict if your walking around with a loaded gun.
im not familiar with "drug testing lab confidentiallity" but i would ask the lab these questions directly before telling anyone anything.
Old 05-26-09, 11:52 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure the lab has to keep it confidential. Results of a drug test would be part of your medical records, no? If you test positive for a controlled substance and you don't have a prescription, the lab can inform your employer that you're using illegal drugs, but they can't say which drug specifically. However, if you have a valid prescription, the lab can't tell your employer anything.

If you take a drug test, your meds will show up as a positive result. So you'll have to give the lab an answer, one way or another. You can keep quiet if you want, but the drug will show up in a tox screen anyway.
Old 05-27-09, 01:14 AM
Contributor

Annwn is a jewel in the roughAnnwn is a jewel in the roughAnnwn is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby85 View Post
Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure the lab has to keep it confidential. Results of a drug test would be part of your medical records, no? If you test positive for a controlled substance and you don't have a prescription, the lab can inform your employer that you're using illegal drugs, but they can't say which drug specifically. However, if you have a valid prescription, the lab can't tell your employer anything.

If you take a drug test, your meds will show up as a positive result. So you'll have to give the lab an answer, one way or another. You can keep quiet if you want, but the drug will show up in a tox screen anyway.
I don't think it is clear that you are ever a "patient" of the drug testing company. I am not sure they use proper nurses or that what they are doing constitutes "health care".

It seems like this should be the case, but I have not been able to find any information that backs it up.
Old 07-16-13, 03:50 PM
Jr Member

Rftn10 is on a distinguished road

Buffy , I work for a very large police dept in the north east. I get drug tested randomly also. I want to take Ritalin but is afraid that my job will find out. I don't trust them enough to tell them I have add. aDA laws are all fine and dandy but they don't protect you from your employer in putting restrictions on you.
Old 07-16-13, 03:53 PM
Jr Member

Rftn10 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffy View Post
Thanks for the input.. One thing wasnt clear.. do you think I should disclose to my employer, or to the screening company?

I carry a firearm and have never had any disciplanary problems at work. Just afraid that some will not understand and somehow think I am not stable or something.
Buffy me and you may work for the same law enforcement agency, I will leave it at that. I am in the same situation as you are . Did you pass your test?
Old 07-16-13, 06:44 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,201 Times in 3,051 Posts
ana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond repute

Buffy was last here in 2009, I don't think you'll get an answer. Maybe someone else can help you, cause while amphetamines like vyvanse will show up on a test, i have heard that ritalin will not. It's a completely different drug, and one they aren't usually looking for.