ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-09, 02:08 PM
Contributor

Xeon is on a distinguished road
Repetitive or annoying noises...

Do they annoy the hell out of everyone else too? I especially hate repetitive beeping, clicking, and tapping noises... they don't just distract me, they sometimes make me so uncomfortable, irritable, and I start to sweat and feel sick.

For example, I was in a Barns and Nobles one day and this air conditioning unit in the ceiling was making this horrible squealing noise and I just.... I could hear it from either end of the store and it was so unbearable I had to leave. I just hate noises like that, I just can't seem to filter them out.

Then yesterday my car kept saying the door was ajar and beeping, I had to pull off the interstate and slam all my doors to make it finally stop.

Is this ADD or just a sensory disorder?
Old 05-20-09, 02:56 PM
Contributor

γ-quantum has a spectacular aura aboutγ-quantum has a spectacular aura about
Re: Repetitive or annoying noises...

hmmm, i actually LOVE repetitive noises, as long as they're REALLY repetitive. like, i love a ticking clock or watch... or my computer's fans. if its arrhythmic, i really cant stand it though - like a damaged ball bearing of a fan. i basically hate every noise EXCEPT the totally repetitive ones...
Old 05-20-09, 03:13 PM

slayerm1 is on a distinguished road

some noises go straight through me, chewing noises little noises tht people make like rubbing their fingers on the sofa drives me mad

but sometimes like the person above
i find some repetive noises soothing
for example a fire alarm was set by accident n it was like a repetitive bleeping noise, i somehow found a beat and started to dance to it. everyone else was holding their ears but i was having a great time lol
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-09, 03:52 PM

MastaProcrasta will become famous soon enough

Always driven me mad.

If someone is rattling coins in their pocket, I have to ask them to stop.
Old 05-20-09, 07:32 PM
Jr Member

Scolari Visari is on a distinguished road

Everyone here has listed all the reasons I do not see movies in a theater anymore. Can stand other peoples noise.
Old 05-21-09, 07:52 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

AbsentMindProf has a brilliant futureAbsentMindProf has a brilliant futureAbsentMindProf has a brilliant futureAbsentMindProf has a brilliant futureAbsentMindProf has a brilliant futureAbsentMindProf has a brilliant futureAbsentMindProf has a brilliant futureAbsentMindProf has a brilliant futureAbsentMindProf has a brilliant futureAbsentMindProf has a brilliant futureAbsentMindProf has a brilliant future

I don't usually mind repetitive noises if it's something sort of normal or standard. If it's a very unusual noise, it does distract me.

When I'm trying to concentrate on something, nothing annoys me more than having to hear someone else's conversation. It's just too hard to filter it out. The funny thing is that I can tune people COMPLETELY out if they are talking directly to me. Random conversations in the hall outside my office are enough to make me want to scream.
Old 05-21-09, 11:55 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,008 Times in 504 Posts
chartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant future

Last night at the store I insisted on putting back four carts before I finally found one that didn't make that little sharp thumping noise as the wheel rotated. The clerk that watches over the do-it-yourself checkout stands ('cause, you know, they really don't trust you to do it yourself) which are next to the cart storage was looking at me like I was crazy.
novagal (05-21-09), stef (05-21-09)
Old 05-21-09, 12:14 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,970 Times in 2,474 Posts
novagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartreuse View Post
Last night at the store I insisted on putting back four carts before I finally found one that didn't make that little sharp thumping noise as the wheel rotated. The clerk that watches over the do-it-yourself checkout stands ('cause, you know, they really don't trust you to do it yourself) which are next to the cart storage was looking at me like I was crazy.

I do this! I can get so distracted by those kinds of things I just don't function. I also get nervous at the grocery store if I see someone I know...I'll avoid them like the plague only because if they say anything to me I'll end up coming home with only half of the things on my list. They say "hi", and all sense of focus goes out the window.
Even if I didn't use it in the house?
- Bill Waterson (Calvin and Hobbes)
Old 05-21-09, 04:45 PM
Forum ADDvocate

sarey is a glorious beacon of lightsarey is a glorious beacon of lightsarey is a glorious beacon of lightsarey is a glorious beacon of lightsarey is a glorious beacon of light

I get very ticked off and agitated at repeatitive/annoying noises a lot of the time... *grrr* but then again, I can't talk, I make the noises sometimes!!!

I am who I am, and sweetie, your approval isn't needed, no matter how much you think it is!
Old 05-21-09, 05:11 PM
Jr Member

nocupeveragain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by novagal View Post
I do this! I can get so distracted by those kinds of things I just don't function. I also get nervous at the grocery store if I see someone I know...I'll avoid them like the plague only because if they say anything to me I'll end up coming home with only half of the things on my list. They say "hi", and all sense of focus goes out the window.
I will literly scan down the isle for someone that would recognize me and avoid them like the plauge you referenced. How hard is it to explain to my wife that I forgot the beans, milk, eggs, etc because I saw _____ and they said ______!!!!
Old 05-21-09, 05:12 PM
Jr Member

nocupeveragain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastaProcrasta View Post
Always driven me mad.

If someone is rattling coins in their pocket, I have to ask them to stop.
For me its the change rattling in the cup holder while driving, I will pull over and reagange it if I can't get it to stop
Old 05-22-09, 10:05 AM

radryan1979 is on a distinguished road

From the eating noises to the a rattle in the car, I am the same way with noises. I do enjoy the quiet hum of a fan or air conditioner, but anything that isn't white noise drives me completely batty.