ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Dexedrine/Dextrostat
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Dexedrine/Dextrostat (dextroamphetamine)

Old 05-22-09, 07:42 AM
ADDvanced Member

Arwen is on a distinguished road
Dex rebound causing severe irritability... "speeded up"

First day on dexamphetamine, took a 5mg tablet with my Concerta 36mg this morning. Psychiatrist wanted to to combined dex with Concerta to improve my focus and distractability as Concerta was not helping with that.

Didn't notice anything extra in terms of focus or anything on the dex, feel completely OK physically.

5 hours in my heart starts palpitating (not anxiety), 6.5 hours later I start getting very irritated, I get internally very hyper (annoyed a quite few people as I was too 'quick' in my actions and speech, and I felt that they were too 'slow'- I wasn't actually thinking this, but my body was faster than my brain) and impulsive.

Have never experienced the extreme irritability on any of the other medications before dex, the irritability wore off about an hour ago (9.5 hours after taking the dex).

In hindsight, maybe I was a lot more co-ordinated on dex and only started 'scrambling' when it was leaving my system.

So my question is, could this mean dex is not suitable for me as I seem to be getting 'speeded up' on dex as it wears off?

Thanks!
Old 05-22-09, 11:58 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,096 Times in 1,196 Posts
StoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant future
Re: Dex rebound causing severe irritability... "speeded up"

It takes a couple days to get used to the effects of dex.
Maybe your body thought the dose was a little too much, try taking half of the 5mg.
The first day when I tried it, I had severe headaches. Now everything is working great.
I don't think you need the Concerta when taking dex..it sounds your body was way too stimulated with the combo.
Good luck.

Dx: Adhd Combined type, Asperger's Syndrome, Mathematics Disability (10/4/10)..Panic Disorder, Atypical Depression, Agoraphobia, paranoia.
Rx: Dexedrine IR 2.5-5 mg PRN (starting on 1/21/12).
Past meds: Namenda, Focalin IR, Ritalin IR, Adderall IR, D-Amp IR, Nicotine/Swedish Snus.
Boycott Teva/Barr, CorePharma, Mallinckrodt (Methylin)

REST IN PEACE
The Following User Says Thank You to StoicNate For This Useful Post:
Arwen (05-25-09)
Old 05-23-09, 01:45 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Ruby85 has a spectacular aura aboutRuby85 has a spectacular aura about

I don't think the problem is Dex, I think the problem is the Dex/Concerta combination. Two stimulants should never be taken together like that. It's common to take an extended release med like Concerta in the morning, and then supplement with an IR booster like Dex in the late afternoon as the Concerta is wearing off. But taking them both at the same time? Bad idea, you were way overstimulated.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ruby85 For This Useful Post:
Arwen (05-25-09)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-09, 03:00 AM
ADDvanced Member

I'm going to see how Dex works for a few more days, my psychiatrist had recommended I take Concerta and Dex together, especially on days when I needed more internal focus.

Concerta was not very helpful with my internal chatter and distractability and from the psychiatrist's experience Dex was a lot better at this.

I seem to be quite sensitive when the medicines wear out, Ritalin IR causes severe depression and Dex IR causes severe irritability... but weird thing is only when it leaves the system... it has effects when it is working. The Ritalin rebound continued to occur even 2 weeks after I started it and it was getting quite dangerous so I was changed to Concerta.

Anyone else have this problem?
Old 05-25-09, 03:05 AM

Thanked 1,779 Times in 1,010 Posts
Driver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond repute

I have difficulty understanding why your doc wants you to combine the two stimulant medications in such a way.

As for your coming down symptons: sounds like it could be a blood sugar crash. I get the same if I take my meds and forget to eat.
Old 05-25-09, 03:10 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

^^ Me too. When he said "together" are you sure he meant in the same mouthful? Maybe he meant Concerta in the morning and Dex in the afternoon. I never heard of taking both at the exact same time.

And it's normal to experience some irritability when the drug is wearing off, as long as it isn't too bad.
Old 05-25-09, 03:15 AM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver View Post
I have difficulty understanding why your doc wants you to combine the two stimulant medications in such a way.

As for your coming down symptons: sounds like it could be a blood sugar crash. I get the same if I take my meds and forget to eat.
Concerta was assisting me with my impulsivity, fidgeting, hyperness but doing nothing for my ability to focus internally. The psychiatrist said that dex would help with that. Which I *think* it has. Only issue is the irritability, which seems to still be there.

Not sure whether it is hypoglycemia, could be but I do eat my meals regularly as I normally have trouble remembering to eat (even before meds).

The psychiatrist wanted me to have a smoother, longer coverage which only Concerta could offer (in Australia). She did mention compounding dex, but wasn't a fan of it.
Old 05-25-09, 03:19 AM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby85 View Post
^^ Me too. When he said "together" are you sure he meant in the same mouthful? Maybe he meant Concerta in the morning and Dex in the afternoon. I never heard of taking both at the exact same time.

And it's normal to experience some irritability when the drug is wearing off, as long as it isn't too bad.
Yes, I'm POSITIVE.

The psychiatrist wrote the instructions in a note: "Take 1 x 5mg Dex in morning with Concerta, and see how this is for focus."

Apparently some psychiatrists are starting to do combination therapy like this as there has been literature that it has been beneficial?
Old 05-25-09, 03:23 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Wow, that's bizarre. I think I would jump out of my skin if I took that much at once. Could you not switch to one medication that helps with all of your symptoms?
Old 05-25-09, 07:20 AM

Thanked 1,779 Times in 1,010 Posts
Driver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond repute

This is a first for me, and doesn't even make sense as Dex is an IR, and Concerta an XR, so the dex is gunna wear off after a couple of hours.
Old 05-25-09, 07:41 AM
ADDvanced Member

Yeah I can take up to 3 x 5mg dex a day together with my 36mg Concerta... but she said to start off with one first to see how it fits with me and whether it helps.

I am wary of being overstimulated, so *if* it does work I probably will minimise the use of the dex as it is mainly for my personal benefit (less internal distractions etc), whereas Concerta was more like a safety issue (impulsivity etc). The 5mg dex + 36mg Concerta seems ok so far, haven't really been stimulated.

My GP said he was sure I was experiencing rebound from the dex and not being overstimulated as he has seen a marked difference with me being on dex and Concerta compared to just Concerta and pre-medication.

Not sure, need to give it a few more days and call my psychiatrist. Thanks anyway.
Old 05-26-09, 07:01 PM
Contributor

bobC has a spectacular aura aboutbobC has a spectacular aura about

mixing amphetamine + ritilan based stimulants is generally a bad idea.

Generally if more coverage is needed then the XR provides. A smaller IR dosage of the same type of stimulant is used.

Since the underlying mechinism is different between amphetamine + ritilan their effects are synergistic. The overall stimulation is more then each would normally cause. If you look on the forums a user lars had some experience with low dosages of ritilan with amphetamine.

BobC