ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Vyvanse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate)

Old 05-26-09, 03:43 PM

vague107 is on a distinguished road
Getting off vyvanse - how long till I feel better?

Hey everyone, I'm getting off vyvanse completely - cold turkey - because i've been experiencing chronic daily migraines recently and they are quite debilitating. Vyvanse makes me feel like complete crap and I believe it has been a huge contributor. Right now I just want to take a break from all ADHD meds. I'm only staying on my wellbutrin and I'm not taking anything else to replace vyvanse.

So naturally I know I will feel like crap, be tired, unmotivated, and probably get more headaches for a while - withdrawal symptoms, right? How long should I expect this to last? And are there any vitamins I can take to help me feel better? (tyrosine seems to exacerbate my headaches so it's out of the question).

I'm currently trying to supplement with Magnesium and Calcium, because vyvanse also gave me a really bad case of jaw clenching - which is probably the root cause of my chronic daily migraines (since I wake up with them, and a sore jaw too...) so I'm guessing vyvanse gave me TMJ disorder (Temporomandibular Joint for those that don't know), because I've never had this before. Anyone know if I get off vyvanse, if that will go away? I'd hate to have that as a permanent side effect...

thanks in advance for any help!
Old 05-26-09, 11:45 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Ruby85 has a spectacular aura aboutRuby85 has a spectacular aura about
Re: Getting off vyvanse - how long till I feel better?

Depends how long you've been on Vyvanse. You probably won't experience withdrawal, as that only happens if you're addicted and if you've been taking very high doses for a very long time. With normal use, you might feel some minor rebound effects at first, like being tired or hungry, but that should be it.

Personally, I felt fantastic after I stopped Vyvanse. Admittedly, I was only on it for 6 weeks, but it made me feel so awful that going off it was like being reborn. I felt better right away.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ruby85 For This Useful Post:
425runner (04-12-12), vague107 (05-27-09)
Old 05-27-09, 11:44 AM

I've been on vyvanse for ~8-9 weeks. Looking back, it was so horrible that I don't even know why I managed to stay on that long. I kept trying to see if I'd "get used to it" and if the initial bad side effects would ever go away like some said they would. I can't even believe this is a children's medicine actually...

So far this is my 2nd day off and I've just been really sleepy. I think my headaches/jaw clenching are improving (hopefully)! That's been more than a nightmare. I was worried yesterday because it was my 1st day without it but the entire day just felt like a "vyvanse crash" - killer headache, nauseous, extreme brain fog.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-09, 11:00 AM
Contributor

penguin has a spectacular aura aboutpenguin has a spectacular aura about

Hi,
A friend had issues. It took 3 days and he was back to "normal".
Enjoy, Ken
The Following User Says Thank You to penguin For This Useful Post:
vague107 (06-03-09)
Old 06-03-09, 12:56 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

kiosk is a jewel in the roughkiosk is a jewel in the roughkiosk is a jewel in the rough

u shouldnt stop cold turkey...is a harsh chemical change for the brain to go thru.....but if you can manage then more power to you...

hydration (lack of) is a huge contributor to migraines on Vyvanse.
Old 06-03-09, 01:11 PM

I managed to stop cold turkey and I've been off for 9 days now and counting...I've never felt better! I was drinking 100-120 oz of water on vyvanse and STILL getting headaches!! So mine were definitely due to clenching my jaw, because they were tension headaches right around my temples - the classic place for people who clench. Unfortunately the clenching itself seems to be the hardest habit to break now. Hopefully after more time off vyvanse, it will eventually go away. It was literally ruining my productivity so much that all I could do is lay down all day in a dark room...so I had to actually fork out $750 for a custom mouth guard for clenching at night (since the store bought ones are all for grinding).

So yeah...vyvanse definitely was no good for me and I'm SO glad I finally decided it was enough and got off of it. We've upped my wellbutrin dose back to what it used to be prior to vyvanse and it seems to be helping my symptoms, although I won't know for sure until school starts again.
Old 06-03-09, 01:56 PM

KalibTweli is on a distinguished road

All you people who were feeling horrible and quit, what dose were you on?

And to the OP, you were obviously having side effects of excess DA. You were taking wellbutrin and vyvanse? I know this is not unheard of, but these are two powerful dopaminergics, especially D-amp. To top that off you were taking tyrosine on top of it, a precursor to both dopamine and norepinephrine.

Vyvanse didin't give you TMJ, it was an excess of dopamine of which jaw clenching and headaches are a common side.

Symptoms of excess dopamine, even in the frontal lobe, can resemble symptoms of ADHD. Brain fog, forgetfulness, spaciness. This is due to down regulation of acetylcholine. Wellbutrin by itself can cause this, and is known to do so. If you started taking vyvanse to cure any of the above symptoms you were having from WB, you were going in the wrong direction.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KalibTweli For This Useful Post:
425runner (06-16-11), JJT211 (08-09-12), kiosk (06-03-09)
Old 08-09-12, 08:48 PM

JJT211 is on a distinguished road

Seriously, any Dr prescribing you both Wellbutrin and Vyvanse is a moron
Old 08-10-12, 07:21 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 16,405 Times in 7,406 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJT211 View Post
Seriously, any Dr prescribing you both Wellbutrin and Vyvanse is a moron
You would have to provide some eveidence for these statements because there are so many people on both wellbutrin and a stimulant.

AND **bleep off**

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Content ID (08-11-12)
Old 08-10-12, 08:05 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,827 Times in 1,053 Posts
TheChemicals has disabled reputation

vyvanse has withdrawals? Must be rare.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheChemicals For This Useful Post:
Content ID (08-11-12), sarahsweets (08-10-12)
Old 08-11-12, 03:52 PM
Contributor

karbouris has disabled reputation

I did have withdrawls off any ampetamine. Ive been on most of them. Im in bed for 3 days, my legs jerk and I was abnormallg hungry lol.
Old 08-14-12, 02:19 PM
Jr Member

mww254 is on a distinguished road

I wouldnt say there are withdraws, but when a drug is supplementing chemicals in your brain, your brain stops producing as much of those chemicals, so it takes a while, once the drug is no longer taken, for the brain to start producing those chemicals again.
So quitting cold turkey is much harder. Maybe take a natural/herbal otc supplement occasionally just to help ease the adjustment. It shouldnt be too long if you werent taking very high doses for an extended period of time. Thats why I'm hesitant to ask about increasing my dosage.
Old 09-11-12, 09:35 AM

erichardson86 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vague107 View Post
Hey everyone, I'm getting off vyvanse completely - cold turkey - because i've been experiencing chronic daily migraines recently and they are quite debilitating. Vyvanse makes me feel like complete crap and I believe it has been a huge contributor. Right now I just want to take a break from all ADHD meds. I'm only staying on my wellbutrin and I'm not taking anything else to replace vyvanse.

So naturally I know I will feel like crap, be tired, unmotivated, and probably get more headaches for a while - withdrawal symptoms, right? How long should I expect this to last? And are there any vitamins I can take to help me feel better? (tyrosine seems to exacerbate my headaches so it's out of the question).

I'm currently trying to supplement with Magnesium and Calcium, because vyvanse also gave me a really bad case of jaw clenching - which is probably the root cause of my chronic daily migraines (since I wake up with them, and a sore jaw too...) so I'm guessing vyvanse gave me TMJ disorder (Temporomandibular Joint for those that don't know), because I've never had this before. Anyone know if I get off vyvanse, if that will go away? I'd hate to have that as a permanent side effect...

thanks in advance for any help!
I am getting off Vyvanse and I have three more days. I have been on them (different add meds, concerta ratlin and straterra) for about 4 years now. I was taking 40 mg of Vyvanse and am now down to 20 and I will be off. I am very scared that I will not be able to get things done, be on time, remember things, and manage my impulsiveness. I have been taking supplements to build the chemicals back up in the brain naturally. I hate that I could possibly be dependent on this medicine. It has been great in a lot of ways and worked well with my mood stabilizer, Lamictal. I drink and smoke pot though and have a history of alcohol abuse in my family. I think ADHD somewhat exists, but I do think that we should all be able to function without medicine. I mean I got through highschool I got through college and then thought I needed ADD meds to get through graduate school. However, I was partying and not focusing at all on that, just liked the way I could get through the day and get a lot done, but I was still exhausted. I know I will be sluggish and eat a lot ( I don't want to gain weight either).

I am so glad someone else is suffering from the TMJ !!!! That is one of the main reasons I am getting off of it. Are you sure that an overdose of dopamine causes that? And yes, when I drink on Vyvanse and Lamictal I get bad hangover headaches and feel way more foggy than ever. I can't make good decisions and Lordy was I more anxious. It's like the medicine would get out of me around 5pm and I would be hungry of course I am a vegetarian and the medicine makes you not want to eat as much as others do (I think?). I have dermatillamania, which is an OCD where you pick at your skin for me it's my acne. Of course there are psychological issues connected to that completely, but when the medicine would get out of me...it was a lot worse. Man can I focus on that forever!

I also think other side effects like tense muscles, shortness of breath, dry mouth, headaches/jaw clenching, and anxiety are the worst. I never felt to antsy on it after a while. I guess my body got used to it. I feel crazy and think I need to go to a treatment center for everything (well getting off all meds, including not drinking while I am trying to get my own brain back).
I would love some words of encouragement from the quitting side. One of my good friends tried to quit and I don't think she gave it long enough.
Also, is anyone else a vegetarian or pescatarian or gone back and forth while on ADD meds? What is there experience?
Also, has anyone used matcha for ADD? I heard the Japanese use this tea and it does wonders.
Thanks and Best...I know this was an all over 'ADD' post haha
The Following User Says Thank You to erichardson86 For This Useful Post:
425runner (09-12-12)
Old 10-09-12, 08:30 AM

hardwork123 is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Getting off vyvanse - how long till I feel better?

HI Everyone, I am new to the forum and I wanted to share how I got off Vyvanse. I was on Vyvanse for 2 years and I took it every day. At first I loved it because I felt like I could rule the world of tasks, finishing and completing a ton of tasks in a day. However after about a year of taking it, I started to develop obsessive thinking. Then it also got to a point where I was getting agitated over simple things and then it made me feel like I was a negative nancy. When i attempted to get off of it, by the 3rd day I wanted to just die, I was depressed for no reason and I was so tired.

How I got off of it!!!!! I was going out of town for a week and realized that I needed to refill my prescription, I went to get it refilled, but my dr. had moved offices and in order for me to get my refill I had to make an appointment to see him at his new office. The next appointment was 2 weeks out and I had 3 pills left and I was leaving for a week. I took it as a sign that it was time to get off of it, but I was scared cause I didn't want to go through withdrawals. Then a light bulb went off in my head!!!!!

I went to the pharmacy and bought a box of pseudoephed I tapered a pill of vyvance for 3 days then on the 4th day I took the pseudoephed. For the next 2 weeks I took a pseudoephed pill everyday, then I ran out of my box of pseudoephed and now I am fine. I have been off of vyvanse for a month and I still get tired easily towards the end of the day sometimes, but I didn;t go through the severe mental pain you can go through by getting off of vyvanse. I feel great for the most part, but I think it may take little bit more longer to for the vyvanse to get out of my system, for I took it everyday for 2 years.

Peace and Love! and good luck!

Last edited by BR549; 10-10-12 at 03:09 PM.. Reason: guidelines
The Following User Says Thank You to hardwork123 For This Useful Post:
425runner (10-09-12)
Old 10-15-13, 07:27 PM

storytheshorty is on a distinguished road

2 months ago I thought I would ever be able to get off caffeine and 70mg of vyvanse. Today I am clean and don't feel too bad. Just wanted to give people some perspective as to how long it takes to feel better and how I did it. First some background, I was taking 500-700mg of caffeine and 70mg of vyvanse every single day for a year. I felt like a complete zombie and my hands would shake. For a month and I half I weaning myself off vyvanse. During the work week I would keep my dosage constant and every weekend I would drop the mg by around 10mg. So the first weekend I dropped down to 60mg and maintained that 60mg throughout the first full work week. Then the second weekend I dropped down to 50mg. 3rd weekend I dropped down to 40mg and so on. Getting off 500+ mg of caffeine during the same time sucked really bad. So I first got off caffeine before I started weaning off vyvanse. It took me 4 weeks to wean off the caffeine and then 5 weeks to taper off vyvanse. It definitely wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, I survived my long hours at work and the key to success for me was weaning myself off. I tried cold turkey 6 months and lasted 6 days and then relapsed on both drugs. Screw cold turkey, stick with weaning off. The key for me was listening to motivational speakers on my iphone and forcing myself to stay motivated. I'm taking the time to recap the last two months because I feel like i owe it to the vyvanse community considering this same forum helped me get through the roughest of times. Im not completely out of the woods yet but I think its safe to say I made it. If there is ONE thing I took away form my experience with this drug its that IT SLOWING TURNED ME INTO SOMEONE THAT IM ASHAMED TO BE. It made me anxious all the time, completely anti-social, never wanted to go out with friends. TAKE AWAY POINT; WEAN YOURSELF OFF THIS CRAP AND YOU'LL BE HAPPY WITH YOURSELF IN 2 MONTHS TIME MY FRIENDS!
The Following User Says Thank You to storytheshorty For This Useful Post:
Sage6102 (05-09-14)