ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > General Medication Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Medication Discussion This section is to be used for general medication discussion and other medications not broken out in their own respective forums.

Old 05-27-09, 10:16 AM

rob909e is on a distinguished road
Exclamation quit suboxone 2/m ago now adverse fx w/adderall.

Hello.

Quick Bio.

Been abusing Heroin for 4 years and decided to clean up and get on suboxone. Was on suboxone for about 4 years and now I've been off suboxone for about 2 months.

Meds I'm taking now.

Lisinipril for blood pressure
Prevacid for Acid Reflux
Zoloft (only 50mg a day) for mild depression
Lunesta 3mg help sleep
Adderall 20mg 3x daily

While on the suboxone and adderall I felt like I could finally concentrate and complete a task before starting up 5 more, however, now that I'm off suboxone I feel like the adderall is giving me undesirable effects. I've tried lowering the dose of adderall to almost nothing and still feel "cracked out" bones hurt, SEVERE anxiety, severe depression, achy all day, and just feel like crap.

Why? I've been diagnosed ADHD since I was 8yrs old. I started taking adderall about 1 year into the Suboxone and It REALLY worked wonders for me. Seriously, I could stick with one thing I was working on and actually finish. Maybe it was the combo of the 2 meds working together, I really don't know.

I've called my doctor and told him about this and he prescribed me Klonopin as needed. (about a weeks worth) My doc had also said that I should try to stop taking Adderall all together.

Has anyone Actually quit suboxone successfully while taking Adderall and still continued using the Adderall with out the negative effects?

Any Help would be great.
The Following User Says Thank You to rob909e For This Useful Post:
FinallyAnswered (05-27-09)
Old 05-27-09, 10:32 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,464 Times in 641 Posts
FinallyAnswered is a splendid one to beholdFinallyAnswered is a splendid one to beholdFinallyAnswered is a splendid one to beholdFinallyAnswered is a splendid one to beholdFinallyAnswered is a splendid one to beholdFinallyAnswered is a splendid one to beholdFinallyAnswered is a splendid one to behold
Re: quit suboxone 2/m ago now adverse fx w/adderall.

Heya Rob,

First, congrats on kicking the habit...^5's there.

Next, what you are describing sounds exactly like what I went through when I went off Suboxone, except I was only on it for about 6 weeks. I tapered down to 2mg a day before they stopped it completely. The next few weeks were horrible. I had zero energy, severe depression, no motivation whatsoever and felt like garbage......and all this was before my ADD was diagnosed and treated.

You were addicted to Heroin for 4 years and then on Suboxone for 4 more years.....that's a very long time spent tickling the opioid receptors. I would hazard a guess and say you're not all of a sudden having a bad reaction to Adderall as much as your body is still wondering where the opioids are.....and since you have a total of 8 years of opioid dependence, it may take several months for your body to adjust.

If the reactions continue, ask your doctor to put you on another medication just so you can confirm or eliminate the Adderall as a problem......but speaking as someone who was only on Suboxone for a month and a half, it still took my body a good two months to bounce back.

Good luck.
rob909e (05-27-09)
Old 05-27-09, 10:46 AM

rob909e is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the quick reply!

Yeah even 2 months into no Opiates I still have a day where I feel like crap, Opiate withdrawl. The funny thing is I've self detoxed off Heroin so many times I can't even remember.... Heroin withdrawl Is a million times worse than Suboxone withdrawl, granted suboxone withdrawl lasts almost a month, for me at least, but it's not as bad.

I Havent taked any adderall today and I feel okay. Well a lot better than if I would've taken it. I'm not sweating all the time, aches and pains are almost all gone, I almost feel like someone with ADHD without any meds. I have about 100 20mg Adderalls laying around but just the thought of taking a pill that's going to make me feel..... Like F**K** S(*(t is just crazy!

I have no desire to get high. I have a 4 yearold Daughter who depends on me for everything, since mom walked out when she was 6 months old. So it's a little easier for me to way out. getting high just one more time, or , Be there for Karly, my daughter, who needs at least ONE person in her life who's going to be a positive influence.

I guess the 4 years on suboxone really helped learn how to live a "normal life" a life without wondering if I'm gonna get caught trying to cop, or worse yet..... OD. Like I said I have no desire to get High. I just want to feel normal..... what ever that is.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-09, 12:00 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,464 Times in 641 Posts
FinallyAnswered is a splendid one to beholdFinallyAnswered is a splendid one to beholdFinallyAnswered is a splendid one to beholdFinallyAnswered is a splendid one to beholdFinallyAnswered is a splendid one to beholdFinallyAnswered is a splendid one to beholdFinallyAnswered is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob909e View Post
I have no desire to get high. I have a 4 yearold Daughter who depends on me for everything, since mom walked out when she was 6 months old. So it's a little easier for me to way out. getting high just one more time, or , Be there for Karly, my daughter, who needs at least ONE person in her life who's going to be a positive influence.

I guess the 4 years on suboxone really helped learn how to live a "normal life" a life without wondering if I'm gonna get caught trying to cop, or worse yet..... OD. Like I said I have no desire to get High. I just want to feel normal..... what ever that is.
Well, you do have the ultimate motivating factor...a four year old. Glad to see your decision to jump off the horse coincided with your daughter's birth.....sounds to me like you're committed. I know it was a great feeling for me to get off the Oxys (800+mg a day....I did try cold-turkey a couple of times and it was horrific) and onto the Suboxone, but I realized that my recovery wasn't going to really begin until I got off the Suboxone because I couldn't wait for the next one.

What really worked well for me was the Naltrexone after the Suboxone. That really took away the opioid itch after I got off everything. I knew that even if I craved an opioid, it wouldn't do any good to take it so there was a psychological benefit as well as a physical one.

Perhaps if your doctor prescribed some Naltrexone, maybe you'll find the Adderall doing what it used to do for you? It can't hurt.....and it will help you stay clean when the opi-voices start calling.

Good luck Rob.....
Old 12-31-10, 10:08 PM

BizzyBobby23 is on a distinguished road

I am not a doctor but i am fairly sure that this is just a big COINCIDENCE.

First, the symptoms you are having are from the opiate withdrawal and completely unrelated to the adderall. Although it is a rational conclusion, it is just a coincidence.

Buprenorphine (the opiate in suboxone), works differently than other opiates which means withdrawal is going to be different. In comparison to other full-agonist opiates, Bupe withdrawal is less intense but takes longer. It also takes longer for withdrawal to begin. It is possible that the withdrawal symptoms actually started 5-8 weeks ago and are just now becoming intense enough to notice.

4 years of bupe will require a good amount of time for your body to adjust back to normal.

i would recommend finding an opiate recovery forum or several of them and continue in that direction. from my experiences, i find it impossible that you recovering from 4 years on bupe only took 1 month.

Good luck to ya and keep up the good work!