ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 05-27-09, 08:43 PM

Leo123 is on a distinguished road
Adderall makes me hungry!

I started taking adderall 2 days ago and I've noticed that it allows me to focus a lot better. It allows me to control/ignore my neurotic thoughts. However, one thing that surprised me and relieved me is that the medication actually makes me hungrier. I read that people usually lose their appetite - but mine actually increased - which is good because I'm somewhat skinny to begin with. I naturally lean towards not eating much - no snacks in between meals.

My psychiatrist told me to start with 10 mg each morning, increasing to a second dose at noon on the 4th day. Is this a standard dosage? The doctor told me that I don't have to take the medication on the weekends but he wants me to take it on every weekday. I'm not comfortable doing this as I'm worried that the effectiveness of the medication will wear off the more I take it(and I'm not employed at the moment so I don't need it every day). Thus becoming more dependent on this stuff. I mean it's a stimulant similar to cocaine so it's bound to become less effective right?

My understanding of this medication is that it doesn't really build up in your system correct? If that's the case then I should be able to take it only whenever it really is necessary? Also would it also be OK just to take 1 pill a day rather than 2?
Old 05-27-09, 09:32 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Maurice is a glorious beacon of lightMaurice is a glorious beacon of lightMaurice is a glorious beacon of lightMaurice is a glorious beacon of lightMaurice is a glorious beacon of lightMaurice is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Adderall makes me hungry!

Funny you should mention that. I had forgotton all about it, but when I first began Adderall I also had an improved appetite. Sort of seems backwards to what most people seem to experience.
I don't agree with people taking their meds on a "if I feel like it" basis. Other than where it something like pain. That has always really flipped me out when I first saw people just taking their meds prn. If it is important enough to take, why would you not want to benefit every day?
Old 05-27-09, 11:56 PM

elizabethbdn is on a distinguished road

Wow I have been on Adderall IR generic for years and my dose is 20 mg 5 times a day, it makes me soooo hungry it would be great to know if there are any supplements that could help with the appetite increase any thing natural or herbal.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-09, 12:47 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Ruby85 has a spectacular aura aboutRuby85 has a spectacular aura about

I also experienced an increased appetite on Adderall IR. For me, it was due to anxiety. Adderall put me on edge and made me anxious/irritable, so I had constant cravings for sugary junk to soothe the anxiety.

Although some people find they eat more often on Adderall since they no longer have the appetite to eat big meals. So it might seem like you're eating more, but you might really just be grazing on small snacks throughout the day. I mean, if you can't eat more than a few bites for lunch, it makes sense that you'll be hungry again in an hour, right?

Your dose sounds standard for a new user. Of course you can take one pill a day instead of two, but you might feel the first dose wearing off after about 4-5 hours. Tolerance really doesn't develop that quickly, so it should still be effective even if you take it every weekday. Most people take their meds 7 days a week, and they still do fine.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ruby85 For This Useful Post:
captivagirl (05-28-09), kiosk (05-28-09)
Old 05-28-09, 06:39 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

kiosk is a jewel in the roughkiosk is a jewel in the roughkiosk is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby85 View Post
ome people find they eat more often on Adderall since they no longer have the appetite to eat big meals. So it might seem like you're eating more, but you might really just be grazing on small snacks throughout the day.
absolutely, this also my case and my daughter....
Old 05-28-09, 08:25 AM
Contributor

γ-quantum has a spectacular aura aboutγ-quantum has a spectacular aura about

i initally had this (craving for sweets / being more hungry in general) when i took ritalin, too; it seemed to have to do with lower blood sugar levels... same as some other side effects as headache and getting shaky, by the way.

maybe try to eat food with low glycaemic index so the energy lasts you longer... and have some dextrose tabs ready, i really found those helpful in the beginning. if dextrose doesnt only make you feel less hungry, but you also feel an improve to your MENTAL skills or other effects (such as headache or shakes getting better / going away), it is likely that your blood sugar levels are dropping too fast due to adderall.

i heard that any stimulant medication greatly increases the amount of sugar used by the brain; sugar is the brain's fuel, anyway. it takes the body a while to get used to it, but, at least for me, this insane craving and being hungry all the time really got better within a few weeks of taking the medication.
Old 05-29-09, 12:46 PM

eldamus is on a distinguished road

I crave sugar when I take Adderall =) but when it comes to full meals, I have to force myself to eat
Old 05-29-09, 01:36 PM

UziDoesIt is on a distinguished road

its almost seems impossible, since you know. thats not what it does, being an upper and all. =/ anyways i used to do crystal meth long ago.. and i was recently perscribed adderall xr, so just to try it out i took 20 mg , and omg its reminded me of doing lines of speed and there was a comedown WTF. O.o sort of surprising to me considering meth is like one of the worst drugs out there ever. i figure i took way to high a dose. im gonna start with 5mg next time.
Old 05-29-09, 11:33 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Ruby85 has a spectacular aura aboutRuby85 has a spectacular aura about

I craved sugary junk on Adderall too. I wasn't very hungry, but I still wanted sugar. A lot of people have reported that effect from Adderall.
Old 05-30-09, 02:49 PM
Contributor

tlhengel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by UziDoesIt View Post
its almost seems impossible, since you know. thats not what it does, being an upper and all. =/ anyways i used to do crystal meth long ago.. and i was recently perscribed adderall xr, so just to try it out i took 20 mg , and omg its reminded me of doing lines of speed and there was a comedown WTF. O.o sort of surprising to me considering meth is like one of the worst drugs out there ever. i figure i took way to high a dose. im gonna start with 5mg next time.
This is so strange to me. I did meth on and off one summer 12 years ago and my Adderall XR is NOTHING like my experience with meth. I started off on 20mg but I was also switched from Vyvanse.

On meth I NEVER ate food, I had no personality besides anger, and I'd go into the most intense hyper focus to the point that I couldn't hardly function.

With Adderall, I'm still me, I get really hungry (like the op), and I'm able to stay out of hyper focus (usually).

It still amazes me how differently we all respond to meds.

Maybe you should try Vyvanse. Now that stuff got me high!!! Maybe it would do the opposite for you.
Old 05-30-09, 03:19 PM

dkaiser will become famous soon enough

I am jealous you have an improved appetite on Adderall. My biggest struggle with my prescription is the decreased appetite. It doesn't help that I'm just extremely busy in the day, but I usually end up eating the majority of my food in the evening. When I don't take my Adderall, my appetite is normal. Since I'm a student, I take my Adderall every day. On vacations and what not, I may or may not take my Adderall and I don't think there's anything wrong with that. My psychiatrist has no issue with it. Adderall is not something that's keeping you from going berserk or anything, its just a stimulant, so I don't think it's too bad to skip days when you don't need to be "on your best behavior" so to speak.
Old 05-30-09, 04:05 PM
Contributor

tlhengel is on a distinguished road

haha, dkaiser. Some of us would love to have the appetite suppression, me included! I've lost 35 lbs since having my son over a year ago, but I haven't lost a single pound since starting Adderall. The benefit of a functioning brain though far outweighs the downfall of being hungry.