ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Vyvanse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate)

Old 06-08-09, 11:01 AM

BillSlappy is on a distinguished road
odd side effect, Vyvanse eliminates most of my seasonal allergy symptoms

I am crazy allergic to pollen (tree pollen especially) and perhaps allergic to some other outdoor triggers. I finally realized I had ADHD about three months ago, (I'm 30ish) so my doctor perscribed 50mg of Vyvanse for me. This is the first time I have ever taken any such medication.

One thing I noticed is when I am on Vyvanse I can breathe very freely. All of the congestion and sinus problems I have this time of year have nearly been eliminated. If I stop taking vyvanse (I dont take on the weekend sometimes) the allergy symptoms come right back, like I turned on a switch. In the morning before the Vyvanse kicks in, and at night, the allergy symptoms return, but while I'm on Vyvanse, I have no problems whatsoever.

This is kind of weird, as I haven't seen this side effect listed anywhere online for Vyvanse. Anyone else have this very positive side effect?

It is at the point, where I'd take this drug just for that side effect alone, my allergies are so bad! But luckily Vyvanse is also making me very motivated and focus as well. I am very lucky I think for it to be working so well, given it is the first medication I have ever tried.
The Following User Says Thank You to BillSlappy For This Useful Post:
MoJo80 (06-20-09)
Old 06-10-09, 06:28 AM
Contributor

γ-quantum has a spectacular aura aboutγ-quantum has a spectacular aura about
Re: odd side effect, Vyvanse eliminates most of my seasonal allergy symptoms

yeah, that's quite a 'normal' side-effect.

stimulants cause the bronchus to dilate; this is why e.g. ephedrine (a stimulant that has stronger physical effects with less effects on the mental state) was widely used for treatment of asthma. it is now a prescription drug because methamphetamine can be synthesized from it... but it is still available in otc cold medicine combinations to relief blocked nose and breathing problems; in germany, aspirin complex contains ephedrine + aspirine, and "wick's daymed" contains the stimulant drug phenylethylamine for the same effect.

vyvanse, adderall and the like wouldnt be used to cure a cold or whatever, because the effects on the psyche are much greater than in phenylethylamine or ephedrine. L-amphetamine could in theory be used to relief colds and asthma, though, i think.
Old 06-10-09, 01:17 PM

jadedmamajess will become famous soon enough

ha, that's interesting! I stopped taking my allergy pill around the same time as starting Vyvanse last week, and haven't had my seasonal allergies as usual...
Old 06-10-09, 01:48 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

kattsqueen is just really nicekattsqueen is just really nicekattsqueen is just really nicekattsqueen is just really nice

huh? another reason why my son should get his appointment made..
already diagnose about 12 years ago but has not been on meds for about 12 years..
allergies drive him crazy this time of year,,,

thanks all
katts
Old 06-20-09, 01:14 AM

MoJo80 is on a distinguished road

Well holy crap....I think your right about Vyvance eliminating my allergies. I thought it was the nasal spray my doc gave me, but now that I think about it, my allergies went away around the same time I started taking Vyvance. For the first time in my life I have no allergies!

Your right about the stimulants helping with cold symptoms too. I think I caught a cold a while back, but it barley phased me.

This stuff rocks!
Old 06-20-09, 03:09 AM
Contributor

KDLMaj is a jewel in the roughKDLMaj is a jewel in the roughKDLMaj is a jewel in the rough

I haven't noticed as great an effect on vyvanse, but when I was on adderall I never had to take sinus medication- it did the work for me.
Old 07-15-09, 10:11 PM

burman is on a distinguished road

I haven't had to use my Flonase to breath properly since I've been taking Vyvanse.