ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 06-12-09, 02:03 PM
ADDvanced Member

willwill30 will become famous soon enough
How much does your heart rate increase?

For those of you on 10mg of Adderall, how much does it increase your heart rate? Is it noticeable?

I haven't started taking mine yet and that's the only thing that makes me nervous about it. I guess it's from having panic attacks over the years, I typically try to avoid anything that makes my heart beat faster.
Old 06-12-09, 02:32 PM

lilhotADDmama is on a distinguished road
Re: How much does your heart rate increase?

Are you taking IR or XR? Also brand or generic? Who is your manufacture is you are taking generic.

The reason I ask is when I was taking Barr/Teva 10mg generic, my heart rate was super high, and so was my blood pressure- which are both usually perfect rates.

Due to this and other side effects- I went off IR adderall and have started taking 30mg of Adderall XR- it works without the speed/racy feelings. I don't want to scare you- everyone is different- but for me personally, I don't have panic attacks and the feelings I got from the barr/teva were scary- I just had to keep myself in check. I never had these problems with Shire's Adderall IR.
Old 06-12-09, 02:44 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilhotADDmama View Post
Are you taking IR or XR? Also brand or generic? Who is your manufacture is you are taking generic.

The reason I ask is when I was taking Barr/Teva 10mg generic, my heart rate was super high, and so was my blood pressure- which are both usually perfect rates.

Due to this and other side effects- I went off IR adderall and have started taking 30mg of Adderall XR- it works without the speed/racy feelings. I don't want to scare you- everyone is different- but for me personally, I don't have panic attacks and the feelings I got from the barr/teva were scary- I just had to keep myself in check. I never had these problems with Shire's Adderall IR.
I think they're 10mg IR. They are generic and I think Barr (blue, oval shaped). Maybe I should half them and take 5mg, wait an hour or two and then take the other half?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-09, 03:30 PM
ADDvanced Member

Fierwing is a jewel in the roughFierwing is a jewel in the roughFierwing is a jewel in the rough

I haven't had any noticeable difference from 10 mg IR (Corepharma brand), nor has my doctor's office seen an increase in pulse or blood pressure on follow up visits. I did feel very slightly like my heart was racing the first one or two times I drank caffiene on top of it, but that faded (although I still try to take it easy).
Old 06-12-09, 03:52 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,079 Times in 1,185 Posts
StoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant future

Adderall is known to give the body a jittery feeling from the levo-amphetamine salts, which might lead to panic attacks in some people.
If you're really are worried ask your doctor about Dexedrine (generic or brand), since it's pure dextroamphetamine and generally is a lot smoother (no jittery feeling).
I used to have really bad panic attacks, but haven't had any since starting Dex.
Hope everything goes well for you.

Dx: Adhd Combined type, Asperger's Syndrome, Mathematics Disability (10/4/10)..Panic Disorder, Atypical Depression, And Multiple Phobias.
Rx: Dexedrine IR 2.5-5 mg PRN (starting on 1/21/12).
Past meds: Namenda, Focalin IR, Ritalin IR, Adderall IR, D-Amp IR, Nicotine/Swedish Snus.
Boycott Teva/Barr, CorePharma, Mallinckrodt (Methylin)

REST IN PEACE
Old 06-12-09, 07:23 PM
ADDvanced Member

After my last post I took a Xanax and half of a Adderall, and I think the Xanax totally overpowered the Adderall because I felt kinda woozy. After two more hours I took the other half of the Adderal, and still nothing. I'm thinking the Xanax is still overpowering it, I haven't noticed any improvement at all in concentration or motivation. And for the topic of this thread, I also haven't noticed any increase in heart rate either (that's the only good part). I guess tomorrow I will start over and take the Adderal without the Xanax.

I'm a little disappointed, I was hoping to feel some benefits at least a little bit.

Another thing, usually by this time of the day I am starving for dinner, but I have no appetite whatsoever right now.
Old 06-13-09, 05:15 PM
Jr Member

Sierra23 is on a distinguished road

Mine increases a lot.... resting heart rate is always above 80 (usually hovering around 90ish) while on Adderall. Its most noticeable though when I'm doing any kind of physical movement.. like walking up a flight of stairs or walking a bit faster than usual if I'm in a hurry. It tends to go up to 120-130 from the slightest increase in physical activity =/

I had a holter monitor put on last week though. The first day I had the monitor on, I hadn't taken Adderall for 3 days. The next day, I took my 20mg XR in the morning. So.. they're going to see if its just my heart thats weird or if the drug is having a bad effect on me (I also have chest pains/trouble taking full breaths sometimes ever since I started taking it...).
Old 06-13-09, 06:34 PM
Contributor

Hoshi has a spectacular aura aboutHoshi has a spectacular aura about

I've only taken 20mg IR (corapharma).... but yeah, it increases my heart rate. At first, I think I remember feeling the increase in my heart rate. But now I don't even notice it.

Sometimes if I'm climbing steps or something, I notice it. The only time I really felt in danger is when I had been playing hurling for like 30 mins with non-stop running, jumping, swinging the big hurling stick, and shouldering people out of the way... I started to feel like I could not get my breath and my chest felt tight.

XR, however, made my heart pound like helicopter blades and made me short of breath. IR didn't. If your heart is healthy, I wouldn't worry too much. Just keep a watch on your physical activity and make sure your heart rate doesn't get too high when you're running/working out/whatever.

Mine is normally 85bpm to 100bpm resting on Adderall.
Old 06-13-09, 09:56 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

kiosk is a jewel in the roughkiosk is a jewel in the roughkiosk is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by willwill30 View Post
I guess tomorrow I will start over and take the Adderal without the Xanax..
how much of the xanax did u take with how much adderall?
Old 06-13-09, 10:16 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiosk View Post
how much of the xanax did u take with how much adderall?
My Xanax is .5mg, not a very high dose. My Adderall (10mg) I split up, I took half with the Xanax, and then the other half an hour later.

I took the Adderall this morning without any Xanax at all, but I can't say I really noticed anything, then about three hours ago I took my second dose with my dinner. Strangely I can feel the second dose, and I do notice my heart rate is a little faster, I feel a little "shaky" too.
Old 06-14-09, 06:55 AM

CDRacingZX6R is on a distinguished road

In the same boat. Have a high natural resting heart rate (85-95) or so. With Adderall it likes to go up to 90-105 or so resting. And it goes up fairly easily. Mainly because I've been out of good cardiovascular shape for many years.

Doctor told me to take a few months and try to get a cardio routine going and see if I can bring it down a bit. Otherwise he wants to control it medically. So I'm working my butt off, but I've only see a little results so far.
Old 06-14-09, 01:12 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

PedroDaGr8 is a glorious beacon of lightPedroDaGr8 is a glorious beacon of lightPedroDaGr8 is a glorious beacon of lightPedroDaGr8 is a glorious beacon of lightPedroDaGr8 is a glorious beacon of light

I have noticed about a 10 bpm increase in my heart rate during really hard core cardio. It used to top out at low 170s now it will top out at low 180s. Resting, I dunno.
Old 06-14-09, 06:21 PM
Jr Member

osiris is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by willwill30 View Post
For those of you on 10mg of Adderall, how much does it increase your heart rate? Is it noticeable?

I haven't started taking mine yet and that's the only thing that makes me nervous about it. I guess it's from having panic attacks over the years, I typically try to avoid anything that makes my heart beat faster.
I have heart issues so this was my primary concern as well. I began taking Adderall two weeks ago and it hasn't been a problem. The first few days, I did feel odd fuzzy "spasms" in my chest as many other people have described. They didn't hurt and didn't really cause concern, they kinda tickled.

I've been consistently checking my pulse and blood pressure (I have a cuff at home) while taking Adderall and while there was a rise at first, it's given way to a fall since I'm losing weight on the meds and thus lowering my blood pressure.

On a final note: my doctor advised that I take 1 or 2 Aspirin each day while starting Adderall, to keep my blood pressure in check.

Good luck!
Old 06-14-09, 09:30 PM
ADDvanced Member

undermythumb will become famous soon enough

I'm not taking Adderall, I'm actually on Dexedrine right now but my heart rate has increased on Dexedrine, Strattera and Concerta. My resting heart rate is 75 and the highest it went to resting was 116. I know that I need to lower it through exercise and healthy eating; it seems to increase no matter what medication I'm on and I think it's because my heart is out of shape :/
Could it be partly to do with exercise and/or diet for you?
Old 06-14-09, 10:03 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by undermythumb View Post
I'm not taking Adderall, I'm actually on Dexedrine right now but my heart rate has increased on Dexedrine, Strattera and Concerta. My resting heart rate is 75 and the highest it went to resting was 116. I know that I need to lower it through exercise and healthy eating; it seems to increase no matter what medication I'm on and I think it's because my heart is out of shape :/
Could it be partly to do with exercise and/or diet for you?
Mine is averaging about 85-90bpm while on the Adderall. It's at 90 right now, but I just came back inside and I'm hot and sweaty. If it went up to 116 resting I would probably have a panic attack.

I'm not overweight or anything like that, but I probably could use some more exercise.