ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 06-13-09, 03:24 AM

snowboardnow is on a distinguished road
Starting treatment soon

I am going to be starting treatment in a few days. My doctor told me I should research treatment options and figure out what I think would be best for me. He is going to offer input but he would like me to come with some information.

I am not sure exactly where to go from here. I have been diagnosed with ADHD primarily inattentive type. I guess I'm looking for some advise for starting this out. The biggest problems I have are organization, day dreaming, and following through.
Old 06-13-09, 01:11 PM
ADDvanced Member

MrJohn has a spectacular aura aboutMrJohn has a spectacular aura about
Re: Starting treatment soon

Hi! I'm pretty new at this but have the same problems.
I'd suggest looking at the treatment forums to start and follow through with looking up the various side effects.
I started with Straterra but had to quit because I couldn't pee and now am on dex for a couple of weeks. It seems one med is good for one and another for someone else so you might need to try more than one.
Straterra, if you don't get any negative side effects, is not an amphetamine at least.
Old 06-15-09, 01:22 AM
ADDvanced Member

dviper785 is on a distinguished road

Hi there,

I have the pretty much exact diagnosis and symptoms as you and Adderall, (d-amphetamines) works great for me. The reason most people avoid amphetamines is because I think, when you take too much, and I don't mean overdosing (like 30-50mg territory per/day), the side effects are similar to what you'll find in a crack ally.

I recommend Adderall for sure, in XR form because it's much more gradual, in 10-15mg taken in the morning. It should last you till 3-5pm. If you have stuff to do in the evenings, go with Adderall (or generics, I use both generics, much cheaper) Instant Release, only 5-10mg.

if your nervous about using an amphetamine, do 10mg XR, and 5mg IR, and see if you need more from there.

At these low dosages, you will be able to completely aviod the VAST majority of negative side effects form amphetamines. You'll probaly only expirience euphoria (not half bad!) and loss of appatite, and maybe frequent urination. Also rememebr to take with food (try to avoid high in fats, DONT take tums <---migrane) to further reduce the side effects, especially minor headaches, and minor stomach pains. (don't be so scared these are side effects of any RX medication out there)

if you look up the medical studies also you'll find that amphetamines have some rock solid evidence behind them to why they work, like with restoring dopamine in the brain.

hope this helps!
The Following User Says Thank You to dviper785 For This Useful Post:
Annwn (06-15-09)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-09, 04:21 AM
Contributor

Annwn is a jewel in the roughAnnwn is a jewel in the roughAnnwn is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the info.

I completed my "results" sessions with my psychologist and when we were done, she said "the very next thing you need to do is call the Dr. and tell her you want a prescription for stimulant medication - use it for a few days, then call me back."

So I go in Tuesday. I am thinking Adderall or Ritalin in the basic forms - nothing exotic or time release.

I like the appetite suppression of Adderall so that is in the lead. Does Ritalin have the same effect? I could stand to lose some weight so if I am taking the stuff anyway...