ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Strattera
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Strattera (Atomoxetine HCI)

Old 06-17-09, 02:06 PM
ADDvanced Member

willinabox is on a distinguished road
Inattentive ADD and Strattera

Hi I am ADHD-I SCT(sluggish cognative tempo) and I was wondering if Strattera worked for any of you attentives out there.

I have tried both ritalin and adderall with only moderate results. I develope a huge tolerance to these, hate the ups and downs, and I dont like my personality when I am on the drugs, and my anxiety gets much worse.

I have a constant daily struggle for energy which I used to self medicate with heafty amount of caffeine. If I am not interested in something I become incredibly tired and can fall asleep immediately.

Nutrition/diet/exercise are all there too. I am thinking strattera might do the trick.
Old 06-17-09, 06:48 PM

HypnicJerk is on a distinguished road
Re: Inattentive ADD and Strattera

Not for me. I just cannot get on board with the Strattera (it's been 5 weeks titrating up to 80mg, and with side effects I cannot make it to 120mg). This is my first ADD drug, but I'm definitely one of the inattentive types. I have no energy, motivation or drive, and it does nothing for my laundry-list of ADD-I symptoms: inattentiveness, head-in-clouds distractibility, lethargy/tiredness/exhaustion, procrastination, boredom, frustration, confusion, carelessness/disorganization, impatience, indecisiveness, capacity for work/stress, or to help me regain my love of, and need for, adrenaline activities (motorcycling, mtn. biking, martial arts, mongolian archery, downhill skating, etc.--but an injured back doesn't help). And I also have this impulsive, explosive temper with overall moodiness & irritability. All contained inside one dopey, foggy head with co-existing depression and anxiety. I had such high hopes for the Strattera. But it hasn't done a thing.

I wish you more success than I am currently having with it.
(Wikipedia) A hypnic or hypnagogic jerk is an involuntary (twitch) which occurs...just as the subject is beginning to fall asleep. Physically, hypnic jerks resemble the "jump" made when a person is startled. Often accompanied by a falling sensation,it is commonly caused by irregular sleep schedules. (I'm not a rude, contemptible person who can control others with his mind.)
The Following User Says Thank You to HypnicJerk For This Useful Post:
TheRealShow (10-14-12)
Old 06-17-09, 11:15 PM
Fantastic super duper mod

Thanked 1,619 Times in 801 Posts
Michiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond repute

On it's own, I can't say I really noticed a huge improvement. However, I forgot that Strattera takes awhile to build up. I think Strattera needs to have a boost from something like dexedrine. That's what I take and when I notice I can do so much more..
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-09, 12:54 PM
ADDvanced Member

willinabox is on a distinguished road

damn this seems to be a really hit or miss drug

but Yeah I have heard good things about strrat with stims. but im allready on lexapro for anxiety and Im trying not to take a buffet of drugs in the morning at 21 years old.

I was really intrigued about how many people who were taking strattera realized improvements in forgetfullness, organization, working memory, and multi-tasking. I am as bad as you can get in all these categories.

But since I am adhd - sct I need the boost too cuz i will fall asleep during the day.
Old 06-26-09, 12:20 AM
Contributor

ben72227 will become famous soon enough

I'm an ADHD-Inattentive guy myself. I took Strattera for awhile, but the urological side effects were WAY too intense (i.e. painful orgasm, problems urinating, etc.) and ultimately I felt it was much less effective at treating the symptoms of the ADHD than stimulants. I've been taking Adderall XR for a few years now, and it works well for me, though I'm thinking about trying out Vyvanse/Dexedrine eventually.