ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Ritalin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Ritalin (methylphenidate)

Old 06-18-09, 12:00 AM
ADDvanced Member

elizadoo47 is on a distinguished road
Blurred vision--does it come and go, or stay?

Help--I posted elsewhere that my daughter is showing signs of diabetes. She pees constantly and she has occasional blurred vision. Then again, she is drinking far more liquid than every before. We parents always had to encourage her to drink more than a bottle of water per day, and now you can't catch her without something liquid in her hand.

Anyway, she has been complaining of blurred vision. It comes and goes. She says sometimes it happens at the computer (close up) now and then, and a couple of times it happened when she was sitting watching TV, she couldn't read the subtitles. And last night she was with her friend and she (daughter) couldn't read the menu board but her friend could. But when my daughter was tested last year, her vision was 20/10--better than perfect.

Is this a possible side affect from the Ritalin (acutally she's on Focalin, same kind of thing)? Will this get worse? Will it get better? Right now it's an annoyance but nothing that will stop her from taking the meds, she actually asks for the meds if she has to go to work (3x week). I'm just concerned that the blurred vision might be a sign of something worse going on. Or is it because she has been taking the meds occasionally, as opposed to daily? When she first started taking them 2 months ago it was every day when she was in school and she had no vision problems. Now, 1 month out of school and taking them sporadically, she is having the vision problems.

Thanks.
Old 06-18-09, 03:59 PM
Forum Guru

blueroo has a brilliant futureblueroo has a brilliant futureblueroo has a brilliant futureblueroo has a brilliant futureblueroo has a brilliant futureblueroo has a brilliant futureblueroo has a brilliant futureblueroo has a brilliant futureblueroo has a brilliant futureblueroo has a brilliant futureblueroo has a brilliant future
Re: Blurred vision--does it come and go, or stay?

Blurred vision is not a common side effect, whether she's using it regularly or not. You really should take her to a doctor to be evaluated for diabetes.
Old 07-05-09, 09:28 PM

keladry will become famous soon enough

I've worn glasses for most of my life, and after starting on stimulant medication (Adderall) found that my vision changed markedly and rapidly, then changed back. One hour my glasses were too weak, the next they were too strong, that sort of thing.

I tend to drink a lot of water anyway, but my 1.5ish liters/day average went up to 3 or 4 on meds. Increased water consumption and urination is common with stimulants.

As for my vision changes, after discussing it with my doctor and my optometrist we were able to to determine that it *was* blood sugar related, though not due to diabetes. Because stimulants decrease appetite, I often forgot to eat during the day then stuffed my face when the meds wore off in the evening or I remembered that I'd put nothing in my system all day. Blood sugar affects vision, and by not eating all day I was playing havoc with my blood sugar.

Blurred vision can also be caused by high blood pressure, which can be caused by stimulant meds. And, at least according to medhelp.com, can be a direct side effect of Ritalin as well (http://www.medhelp.org/drugs/Ritalin/show/1050).

Ultimately, vision can be affected by a pretty wide variety of things, some serious some not. Talk with her doctor.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-13, 10:22 AM
Jr Member

Rftn10 is on a distinguished road

Actually blurred vision and ritalin use is more common than you think. Blurred vision is definitely a side effect of ritalin.