ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-09, 04:12 AM
ADDvanced Member

samtux will become famous soon enough
ADHD/ADD and mood swings

I am aware i get really quite bad mood swings i am also aware that this is often listed as a add/hd symptom what causes this and how does it present ??

also when do things like this stop being add and move into the relms of another disorder such a bi polar ??

please share your personal experiences !

Sam
Old 06-18-09, 11:05 AM
ADDvanced Member

eleanorabernathy is on a distinguished road
Re: ADHD/ADD and mood swings

i would be interested to know also. I talked to my therapist last time about how it felt like my mood swings were almost like being bi-polar, but not really thinking I was. She said there were different types of bi-polar (two? but this was right at the end, so we'll discuss it next time).
The Following User Says Thank You to eleanorabernathy For This Useful Post:
samtux (06-21-09)
Old 06-18-09, 11:30 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,278 Times in 1,850 Posts
doiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond repute

When i went to my doctor i said i think i have adhd or bi-polar or something similar.She said something about bi-polar being something to do with '...going to london to meet the queen'....... and also'..... buying a ferrari with no money'.'your not going to do that are you?'.Stupid woman!I said 'no,not yet anyway....but what if i try and do it in the future?'......'it seems to me that you treat problems after they have happened when you can treat them sooner.'
I went back to the adhd and she said you dont have it i was like how do you know and she just smirked-What is wrong with these people!!!They have already tried to poison me with anti-depresants......
Good luck (we need it)
samtux (06-21-09)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-09, 01:27 PM

jadedmamajess will become famous soon enough

My ex was bipolar, and I can say that his mood swings were very apparent. He outwardly expressed everything and loudly. During his manic phases, he would act very silly and often stay up all night drinking and doing whatever in the garage. He acted a lot younger then. During his depression, he would be irritable and drink lol, and want to sleep all day. I see my own mood swings as nothing like his... mine are mostly "interior," with some irritability apparent.

In my case, the trigger is usually interior, self loathing for instance or thinking someone doesn't like me. I have been considered as borderline for this reason alone. But I don't fit most other borderline attributes, and my most recent therapist thinks I have dysthymia instead.... my highs never get high, I guess... I'm usually really mellow and level, just hovering in the "sadness."

Anyways, in my opinion, bipolar is less caused by an interior trigger due to their thoughts, but is more out of the person's control. I hope that makes sense, somewhat. Please correct me if this perception is wrong, though.
Old 06-18-09, 01:32 PM
Forum ADDvocate

sarey is a glorious beacon of lightsarey is a glorious beacon of lightsarey is a glorious beacon of lightsarey is a glorious beacon of lightsarey is a glorious beacon of light

I have mood swings, major, intensive ones, I go to a special needs school and they say they all are aware of my "rapid severe mood swings" summin likedat! Im like...
K,sooo I have multiple MH disorders/illnesses...
+ IM A TEENAGER...
Whatdya expect?

I am who I am, and sweetie, your approval isn't needed, no matter how much you think it is!
The Following User Says Thank You to sarey For This Useful Post:
samtux (06-21-09)
Old 06-18-09, 09:17 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

wifeandmom is a splendid one to beholdwifeandmom is a splendid one to beholdwifeandmom is a splendid one to beholdwifeandmom is a splendid one to beholdwifeandmom is a splendid one to beholdwifeandmom is a splendid one to beholdwifeandmom is a splendid one to behold

Here's a pretty quick discussion of how to differentiate:

http://www.additudemag.com/adhd/article/2511.html
The Following User Says Thank You to wifeandmom For This Useful Post:
samtux (06-21-09)
Old 06-19-09, 01:30 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 20,069 Times in 7,227 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute

the difference between the mood swings in adhd and bi-polar are that with adhd the moods are over quickly and don't last days and days.

For myself, my mood can change from happy, to depressed, to furious back to happy all in an afternoon. Bo-polar will have episodes of duration.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ginniebean For This Useful Post:
Haakenlid (07-06-13), Hyperman87 (11-11-14), samtux (06-21-09)
Old 06-19-09, 02:45 AM
Contributor

ADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of lightADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of lightADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of lightADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of lightADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of lightADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of light

Borderline personality disorder also involves mood swings and is frequently misdiagnosed as bipolar. My husband, daugher, and teenage son all have BPD and ADHD. The mood swings of BPD can change at a moments notice and several times during the day at times. Bipolar mood swings last longer.

And you don't have to have all of the 9 criteria for BPD, only 5 out of the 9. Not all cases are as severe as the stereotypical textbook cases that most doctors are familiar with.

There is an article, "ADHD, Bipolar or BPD?" that discusses some of the smilarities and differences at the website www.biologicalunhappiness.com

And to make things more confusing, you can have two or all three of the disorders. I have a friend who has all three and I know of a man who has all three.

ADDMagnet
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ADDMagnet For This Useful Post:
Imnapl (07-06-09), samtux (06-21-09), wifeandmom (06-19-09)
Old 06-19-09, 03:21 AM
Forum ADDvocate

sarey is a glorious beacon of lightsarey is a glorious beacon of lightsarey is a glorious beacon of lightsarey is a glorious beacon of lightsarey is a glorious beacon of light

I also have Borderline as well as ADHD.
Along with multiple other diagnosis but yeah! lol

I am who I am, and sweetie, your approval isn't needed, no matter how much you think it is!
Old 06-19-09, 10:43 AM
ADDvanced Member

Flutterbudget has a spectacular aura aboutFlutterbudget has a spectacular aura about

I was worried I was bipolar, but once I started meds my moods evened out a good bit. Like the other posters said, BP mood swings usually last longer -- several days/weeks in a cycle (I have a good friend who is BP), whereas ADHD mood swings are just related to our more intense personalities in general. So where a NT might swing between beeing slightly irritated, to neutral, to slightly happy, in the course of a morning, we go from being VERY annoyed to being VERY happy to being VERY whatever. We are vibrating at a wider range than NTers.

The meds help me somewhat with the mood swings. But I still get annoyed more easily than most, and I also get more excited/happy than most over good stuff.

"The dizzying highs, the stomach-churning lows, the creamy middles...mmmmm, creamy...." - Homer Simpson

I don't spend much time in the creamy middle!
The Following User Says Thank You to Flutterbudget For This Useful Post:
samtux (06-21-09)
Old 06-22-09, 06:17 PM
ADDvanced Member

eleanorabernathy is on a distinguished road

"...separate from the events of a personís life and outside of [his] conscious will and control.Ē

I didn't really think I was BP. In looking back at the last really high I had--it wasn't separate from the events of my life. It definitely came from meeting someone and having them compliment me on something, and I really took off from there--it lasted several days, maybe even a week, until reality set in and I crashed. Although, the comment above about "buying a ferrari with no money"-- well, I was going great guns about joining this association, and pursuing the classes, then I realized it would take a substantial amount (to me, right now) of money to get to the point where I could take the classes.

About the same time, I attended this annual conference, and as usual, I go there, listen to all this cool stuff going on, come back all energized and excited and hopeful, then the reality of where I work (no one gives a rat's patoot, for the most part) sets in, and I go back to my "normal" Eeyore-state.
Old 12-08-13, 01:56 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

mirandatoritess has disabled reputation

yeah and they are terrible. Make me not want to have the nice energy highs. When people say control your mood or temper, I wonder how to. Often people with ADHD do not understand their own mood swings.
"Heaven has no free wi-fi? Screw this Iím going to hell"
"How do you know hell has wifi?"
"Satan owes me several favors"

Its a beautiful day....... I think I will skip my meds and stir things up a bit"