ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 06-23-09, 05:30 PM
Jr Member

coolhand129 is on a distinguished road
Adderall and Heavy Aerobic Exercise

I am currently on 30 MG Adderall XR 2 x a day. I take the first one when I wake up and usually exercise in the morning. The question is whether heavy exercise of long duration is dangerous while on the medication?

For example, running over 10 miles in warm weather? Or doing a 1 hour hard spin class followed immediately by a 6.2 mile run on a treadmill. Or like yesterday, 45 minutes of weights, followed by a 1 hour spin class and later in the day a 10.25 mile run in warm weather outdoors. I have been doing this for years but have been on the medication for only 6 months.

The reason I ask is that I sweat so incrediably on adderall that there is no way I could possibly drink enough fluids. When I run 10 miles on the road, I do not drink anything until I finish.

I recently had a physical, EKG, doppler of the heart and full blood workup. All was normal including the electrolytes.

Still I wonder if I am endangering my health.
Old 06-23-09, 09:51 PM
Jr Member

Orcas_are_neat is on a distinguished road
Re: Adderall and Heavy Aerobic Exercise

I am in no way an expert or doctor or anything. I'm just someone who's been taking adderall for almost six months now.

My doctor and the pharmacist just said that I should eat before I take my dose (30 mg) because it tends to mess with the stomach and lower blood sugar. When I exercise (hour and a half tai chi classes, not nearly as intense as you ), I make sure that I eat something before hand. That way I don't feel faint (something I usually never feel unless I am on adderall and haven't eaten) during exercise.
Old 06-23-09, 10:49 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

PedroDaGr8 is a glorious beacon of lightPedroDaGr8 is a glorious beacon of lightPedroDaGr8 is a glorious beacon of lightPedroDaGr8 is a glorious beacon of lightPedroDaGr8 is a glorious beacon of light

Keep an eye on it and listen to your body. Adderall a) can let you push yourself much harder than you used to and b) make you sweat so much that you can give yourself heat stroke. You need to make sure you keep an eye on it and do WHATEVER you can to mitigate the effects. Drink electrolytes before your 10mile run and DEFINATELY after. During, just listen to your body. It's better to cut a run short, than end up collapsing.

I know what you are saying about the sweating though, I feel I EASILY sweat twice as much if not more while on Adderall than while off of it.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-09, 03:49 AM
Jr Member

iluvreesespuffz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroDaGr8 View Post
Keep an eye on it and listen to your body. Adderall a) can let you push yourself much harder than you used to and b) make you sweat so much that you can give yourself heat stroke. You need to make sure you keep an eye on it and do WHATEVER you can to mitigate the effects. Drink electrolytes before your 10mile run and DEFINATELY after. During, just listen to your body. It's better to cut a run short, than end up collapsing.

I know what you are saying about the sweating though, I feel I EASILY sweat twice as much if not more while on Adderall than while off of it.
this..

not only tht but also drink sum gatorade or something since it can help replace lost sodium and electrolytez.