ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 07-06-09, 04:25 PM

Michelle87 is on a distinguished road
I can't swallow pills and have to crush my adderall. Is this dangerous over time?

I know a lot of people like to crush adderall and snort it, but I have to crush it and dissolve it in a glass of water because I cannot swallow pills. I have tried swallowing them since I was a kid and I just can't do it

Are there any potentially negative side effects of doing this every day? Heart problems?

I started taking generic adderall ir 5 months ago, starting with 10mg a day, and I now take 40mg a day. I take it an hour before class on weekdays and I don't take any on the weekends. I built up a tolerance to it fast at first but have been on 40mg for a while now.

I'm just worried that this will cause problems in the future. I'm not dependent or addicted to it so I would have no problem quitting, but I'm getting straight A's in college and would hate to stop taking it.
Old 07-06-09, 05:28 PM
Contributor

Grey Kameleon has a spectacular aura aboutGrey Kameleon has a spectacular aura about
Re: I can't swallow pills and have to crush my adderall. Is this dangerous over time?

I used to have that problem, so I understand. Barr Adderall can still be a problem because it starts dissolving as soon as I touch it, so the rough edges get caught in my throat. Melatonin supplements are still really hard. I'll usually chew something and put the pill in my mouth before swallowing it.

Heart problems? You might absorb it more quickly, and that might be making your tolerance go up. Have you talked to your doctor about this? I guess it would be kind of awkward now, but I would still advise it.

Dx: ADHD-PI (possible misdiagnosis), Anxiety Disorder NOS.

Rx: Just ran out.
Old 07-06-09, 05:57 PM

Lukw10 is on a distinguished road
Re: I can't swallow pills and have to crush my adderall. Is this dangerous over time?

Instant Release (IR) Adderall will be dissolved in the stomach in literally half a second as it does in the water you are dissolving it in thus this is completely fine. I suggest you learn how to swallow pills though as this could be useful in the future.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-09, 05:01 PM
Contributor

Grey Kameleon has a spectacular aura aboutGrey Kameleon has a spectacular aura about

Yeah, that's probably closer to the truth. I don't know much about the stomach.

Dx: ADHD-PI (possible misdiagnosis), Anxiety Disorder NOS.

Rx: Just ran out.
Old 07-07-09, 06:10 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Mincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to behold

As long as you arent putting the powder under your tongue I think the transit time to the brain would still be the same, am I right?
Old 07-12-09, 06:42 PM

cunanse is on a distinguished road

It's the same as swallowing whole if it's IR. If you crush and snort/smoke, it's a completely different deal. Not recommended therapeutic routes of administration. Heck, I used to suck on the IR's like Jolley Ranchers on my way up to campus. It's all the same, as long as it's getting processed in the GI tract.
Old 07-14-09, 09:34 AM
Forum Guru

Old School MBD has a spectacular aura aboutOld School MBD has a spectacular aura about

How about hiding it (or crushing it) into applesauce?
Old 07-14-09, 11:39 AM
Committee of One

Thanked 4,140 Times in 1,772 Posts
Retromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond repute

It would be nice to inform your doctor that you are ingesting it this way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle87 View Post
I know a lot of people like to crush adderall and snort it, but I have to crush it and dissolve it in a glass of water because I cannot swallow pills. I have tried swallowing them since I was a kid and I just can't do it

Are there any potentially negative side effects of doing this every day? Heart problems?

I started taking generic adderall ir 5 months ago, starting with 10mg a day, and I now take 40mg a day. I take it an hour before class on weekdays and I don't take any on the weekends. I built up a tolerance to it fast at first but have been on 40mg for a while now.

I'm just worried that this will cause problems in the future. I'm not dependent or addicted to it so I would have no problem quitting, but I'm getting straight A's in college and would hate to stop taking it.
-- Oscar Wilde
Old 07-14-09, 11:50 AM
Forum Guru

Old School MBD has a spectacular aura aboutOld School MBD has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retromancer View Post
It would be nice to inform your doctor that you are ingesting it this way...
Good point!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maby it's time to try Aderall XR (or generic) which comes in a capsule.

Capsule=no taste!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Easy to take!
Old 07-14-09, 01:58 PM
ADDvanced Member

phEight is a glorious beacon of lightphEight is a glorious beacon of lightphEight is a glorious beacon of lightphEight is a glorious beacon of lightphEight is a glorious beacon of lightphEight is a glorious beacon of light

How about you try this... whenever you are eating breakfast or lunch or whenever it is you take your pills, whatever it is you're eating, chew it up all nice... and before you're ready to swallow toss your pill in your mouth, and then swallow. I'm almost certain it'll go down just as if you were swallowing the food alone. If you don't take it at any of those times, use any type of food.. granola bar, a banana, it doesn't matter... it makes taking pills a breeze.