ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-09, 11:20 AM
Jr Member

needtonap is on a distinguished road
What Are You Reading This Summer---If You Can Concentrate Enough to Read?

I read four books in June. This was a huge deal for me, as I have been having a lot of trouble concentrating and am sometimes unable to read.

Even if you can't go on vacation and take a beach book, it's still nice to read outside in the summer. Fiction is usually the best because it is a nice escape from the real world.

What are you currently reading or what have you read in the past that you recommend?

My favorite book of the summer is Everyone is Beautiful by Katherine Center. Not exactly chick-lit, I would call it wife-and-mom-lit.

I'm going to the library sometime this week. Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 07-09-09, 11:29 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Thanked 1,092 Times in 420 Posts
Archon has a reputation beyond reputeArchon has a reputation beyond reputeArchon has a reputation beyond reputeArchon has a reputation beyond reputeArchon has a reputation beyond reputeArchon has a reputation beyond reputeArchon has a reputation beyond reputeArchon has a reputation beyond reputeArchon has a reputation beyond reputeArchon has a reputation beyond reputeArchon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What Are You Reading This Summer---If You Can Concentrate Enough to Read?

It really depends what you like. I'm in a non-fiction stage at the moment but "Survival of the Sickest" I found to be a very interesting read. It's a very easy to read about some medical anomalies and the evolutionary pressures that helped them come into being. Sort of a "Freakonmics" of the medicine.

I'm currently reading "Logic: A Graphic Guide" and it is pretty phenomenal, though I find logic a fascinating to begin with. Certainly the way in which to book is broken up makes it much easier on the eyes than page after page of text.
Old 07-09-09, 11:48 AM
ADDvanced Member

superstressed will become famous soon enough

My therapist wants me to read The Shack-Where Tragedy Confronts Eternity by William P. Young. I hope it's not boring. It's supposed to be inspirational.

Last edited by superstressed; 07-09-09 at 11:50 AM.. Reason: Grammar Correction
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-09, 04:25 PM
ADDvanced Member

Ethereal will become famous soon enough

Reading is just about the only thing I can focus on even without meds, have read constantly since I was 4 years old. I just finished "Moon Palace" by Paul Auster, and am now reading "I Know This Much is True" by Wally Lamb and "Americana" by Don DeLillo.

I don't know what you like to read, but I strongly reccomend John Irving's books if you want fiction, they're amazing, and everyone I've reccomended them too have loved them. Highly addictive, though, luckily he's written a number of books, and they're long.
My friends have University diplomas- I have diagnoses. At the moment, the "experts" agree on me having ADD, severe insomnia and eating disorders- and I was recently diagnosed with Bordeline Personality Disorder.

I couldn't just settle for one disorder. Nahh, I had to overdo it, like I overdo everything.
Old 07-09-09, 04:40 PM
Contributor

NekoGirl has a spectacular aura aboutNekoGirl has a spectacular aura about

Delivered from Distraction, Dr's Hallowell and Rately; You Mean I'm Not Lazy, Stupid, or Crazy, Kelly and Ramundo; ADHD in Adulthood: A Guide to Current Theory, Diagnosis, and Treatment, M. Weiss, Hechtman, and G. Weiss; and a bit of Dr Bob's Guide to Stop ADHD in 18 Days (ok, so I was curious). The first three books I'm really liking, though.

On my queue: The Disorganized Mind, Rately; and The Tesseract, Alex Garland (the guy who wrote The Beach, which was pretty decent).

God, I feel like such an ADDork with all those ADD books!

"The back of the class is where I was / Keeping quiet, playing dumb..."
Old 07-09-09, 09:08 PM
Jr Member

Host is on a distinguished road

I am new to the diagnosis, but when the meds are working I am reading "More Attention, Less Deficit" by Ari Tuckman. I don't plan on becoming a ADDork but it was recommended to be by many people and so far it has enlightened me quite a bit.

If it turns out treatment cosistantly works for me, I hope to read the MPEP (would like to become a patent agent), LSAT study guides (would like to go to law school in 2010), various Verilog and FPGA programing manuals (to move forward in my current job as an electrical engineer), and "Thus Spoke Zarathustra" by Nietzsche (for insight into and interesting philosophic mind)

Oh and there are over 100 books on my shelf that I have never been able to read, I would like to get to them too.
Old 07-10-09, 03:49 AM
Zen moderator

Thanked 26,911 Times in 13,072 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

Last year I read this triolgy by a swedish author, Stig Larson. The first book is called "the girl with the Dragon Tattoo". if you like suspense....
(but it's kind of confusing there are several characters with the same last name).
also some of it's a little violent...
Old 07-10-09, 05:25 AM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 15,402 Times in 6,116 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute

"The Complete book of Incense, Oils and Brews" by Scott Cunningham, I just finished one about crystals, gems and metals. . . I am really a non-fiction person myself but don't mind a bit of speculation though.

When medicated I can read what ever I want when not medicated I have a much harder time sitting still but I can read while on a stationary bike or some thing of the sort

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
Old 07-10-09, 10:30 AM
Contributor

jacinta will become famous soon enough

I'm still reading a book I got for Christmas. I hope to have it finished by next Christmas. I take another book to read when I'm waiting at the doctors. I keep finding parts in it that I didnt really read because I wasnt concentrating. If I really want time to go fast while I'm waiting at the doctors I play silly games on my phone - time flies.
Old 07-10-09, 12:11 PM
Contributor

NekoGirl has a spectacular aura aboutNekoGirl has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Host View Post
I am new to the diagnosis, but when the meds are working I am reading "More Attention, Less Deficit" by Ari Tuckman. I don't plan on becoming a ADDork but it was recommended to be by many people and so far it has enlightened me quite a bit.
Host how do you like the book? I'm listening to his podcasts right now after a psychologist (not mine) recommended the book/website to me.

"The back of the class is where I was / Keeping quiet, playing dumb..."
Old 07-11-09, 07:53 PM
Jr Member

needtonap is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NekoGirl View Post
Delivered from Distraction, Dr's Hallowell and Rately; You Mean I'm Not Lazy, Stupid, or Crazy, Kelly and Ramundo; ADHD in Adulthood: A Guide to Current Theory, Diagnosis, and Treatment, M. Weiss, Hechtman, and G. Weiss; and a bit of Dr Bob's Guide to Stop ADHD in 18 Days (ok, so I was curious). The first three books I'm really liking, though.

On my queue: The Disorganized Mind, Rately; and The Tesseract, Alex Garland (the guy who wrote The Beach, which was pretty decent).

God, I feel like such an ADDork with all those ADD books!

When I can read, I am reading You Mean I'm Not Lazy, Stupid, or Crazy by Kelly and Ramundo, too. It's great! It's refreshing too read that I'm not lazy, stupid, or crazy! I like the format and layout. Easy to read.
Old 07-11-09, 10:17 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,558 Times in 770 Posts
Grafter has a brilliant futureGrafter has a brilliant futureGrafter has a brilliant futureGrafter has a brilliant futureGrafter has a brilliant futureGrafter has a brilliant futureGrafter has a brilliant futureGrafter has a brilliant futureGrafter has a brilliant futureGrafter has a brilliant futureGrafter has a brilliant future

For my class Conflict Resolution in Organizations: Interpersonal Conflict, 7th edition, by Wilmont/Hocker

Just for fun!
I am in various stages of the following:Some are completed and simply refer to often.

Users Guide to the Brain - John Ratey
No Opportunity Wasted - Phil Keoghan
The New Male Sexuality - Bernie Zilbergeld, Phd.
Your Sixth Sense - Naparstek
Off the Beaten Path: Guide to Unique Places - Texas Edition - June Naylor
The Atlas of Experience - Swaaij and Klare (really , really cool atlas)
The Invisible Partners - Sanford
Y - The Descent of Men - Steve Jones
Calvin & Hobbes - All of 'em
Madness - A Bipolar Life - Marya Hornbacher
Lone Star Nation - H.W. Brands
Please Understand Me II - D. Keirsey
Nature Girl - Karl Hiassen
The Complete Short Stories of Mark Twain
There are No Accidents - Robert Hopcke
The Psychology of Romantic Love - Nathanial Branden, Phd.
The Complete Works of O. Henry
Taking Responsibility: Self Reliance and the Accountable Life - Branden again
The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Families - Covey
110% - Pat Croce
The Way of the Superior Man - David Deida
Attention Deficit Disorder - A Different Perception - Thom Hartman
How to Read a Person Like a Book - Nierenberg & Calero
Goddess - Secret Lives of Marilyn Monroe - A. Summers

That's what is currently "in-reach" at my bedside.
I won't even begin to bring up my library in the home office.
doiadhd (07-11-09)
Old 07-11-09, 10:26 PM

Thanked 3,266 Times in 1,840 Posts
doiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond repute

I really do have to start reading!

I may start now....actually
Old 07-12-09, 05:04 PM

Mincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to behold

Tryanny of Words - Stuart Chase
Science and Sanity - Alfred Korzybksi
Pale Blue Dot - Carl Sagan
In Praise of Slow - Carl Honore
The Truth About Canada - Mel Hurtig

Prolly won't finish them for months and reading all at the same time.