ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Ritalin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Ritalin (methylphenidate)

Old 07-12-09, 03:31 PM

goudge is on a distinguished road
stomach upsets from ritalin

From the very first dose of 10mg ritalin till the present day iv suffered frequent stomach upsets, slight diareah (not stomach ache) and incresed urination.Does any else suffer from these symptoms and if so what have you done 2 lessen or combat this??
thankyou.
rich
Old 07-12-09, 11:39 PM
supermoderator

Thanked 20,980 Times in 9,325 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute
Re: stomach upsets from ritalin

hello,

i can relate.

you didn't say how long you've been taking ritalin--or i didn't read carefully enough--but there are only certain times i get an upset stomach and/or diarrhea (not really an upset stomach, i think, but cramping of the intestines). i think the increased urination is likely due to your increased water intake--i drink a lot of water, more than most people i know, and i think it's the medication.

when i first started taking ritalin and working up to the best dosage for me, i had these problems. they only lasted until i settled at my current dosage (well, i only recall them lasting that long; admittedly, that was when i was 18 and i'm now 35...). more recently (in the past year) i stopped taking my medication entirely for about a month--this was an unplanned catastrophe.

when i got my prescription filled again i had the problems again and was back to drinking lots of water. once i was back up to my standard dosage, however, it went away--the water consumption remains.

if you're at the dosage that works for your symptoms, and you've been there for awhile, maybe you should call your doctor or let him/her know at your next appointment.

good luck!
Old 08-29-09, 11:14 AM
Jr Member

mdrider is on a distinguished road

My doc told me to take Ritalin w/food because of possible stomach upset, so maybe check w/your doc on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goudge View Post
From the very first dose of 10mg ritalin till the present day iv suffered frequent stomach upsets, slight diareah (not stomach ache) and incresed urination.Does any else suffer from these symptoms and if so what have you done 2 lessen or combat this??
thankyou.
rich
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-09, 12:46 PM

canitbeADD is on a distinguished road

FWIW, I took ritalin for about one month and even on 5mg i would get stomach upset and mild diarrhea. This is why I ultimately switched to adderall. With adderall I had no problems with stomach cramps or diarrhea but i did have greatly worsened acid reflux.