ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Inattentive ADD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Inattentive ADD A forum set aside for the the discussion of inattention and inattentive ADD

Old 07-19-09, 04:21 PM
ADDvanced Member

phEight is a glorious beacon of lightphEight is a glorious beacon of lightphEight is a glorious beacon of lightphEight is a glorious beacon of lightphEight is a glorious beacon of lightphEight is a glorious beacon of light
Found an article on pubmed arguing ADD/ADHD are quite distinct

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/art...medid=16262993
Thought I would share with my fellow Inattentive types... much of it makes sense. I haven't completely read the article, but the parts I have are pretty interesting.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to phEight For This Useful Post:
JollyBadger (07-19-09), outnumbered (07-19-09)
Old 07-19-09, 05:40 PM
Contributor

KDLMaj is a jewel in the roughKDLMaj is a jewel in the roughKDLMaj is a jewel in the rough
Re: Found an article on pubmed arguing ADD/ADHD are quite distinct

There's a lot of strong evidence that many folks diagnosed with ADD-I are suffering from a very different disorder (or likely disorders) than ADHD-C.

I absolutely agree. In absence of impulsivity or hyperactivity, the symptoms between the two sets are completely different. Now, a lot of folks with ADHD-C are diagnosed as ADHD-I because the impulsivity and hyperactivity diagnostic criteria are so skewed, so that's important to factor in. But in absence of impulsivity problems, the disorder(s) that are commonly diagnosed as ADD-I bear no resemblance to ADHD-C.

ADHD-I:
Slow processing speed (slow to respond and foggy)
Lethargy
Often relatively stronger memory (though still impaired in most)
No distinct difficulties with short-term versus long-term rewards.

ADHD-C:
Often intact processing speed (not foggy or slow to respond but highly distracted)
Far too much energy
Very impaired short-term memory
Primary deficits in adult life generally center around motivation issues and inability to properly balance short-term rewards against long-term rewards
Old 07-19-09, 05:55 PM
ADDvanced Member

outnumbered is on a distinguished road

Very interesting reading, thanks. I agree with nearly everything in that paper--the descriptions of ADD are me to a T, and it highlights the differences I see when comparing myself and my middle child (both of us inattentive), to my two other kids and xdh (all ADHD).
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-09, 05:02 AM

Shirker is on a distinguished road

This is a new paper? I'm not sure I can focus right to read this.
Old 07-23-09, 06:45 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

speedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud of

It's a redundant article really. All it does is point out that ADHD inattentive is different from ADHD hyperactive, which was already known at the time the article was published and was the fundamental reason for changing the diagnostic classification for ADHD to include three subtypes years before the article was published.... inattentive, combined type, and hyperactive.

Calling it "ADD" does not help clarify things at all, in fact it is a bit misleading. It just points out the fact that a lot of people were still using obsolete jargon to describe ADHD inattentive at the time of press (2006).

Heck my doctor still calls it "ADD", even though I have ADHD combined type if we go by the DSM IV. Regardless, there is NO disorder called "ADD", it is correctly called "ADHD".

Does anyone know when the DSM-IV came out? That would probably be the "official" date when they stopped calling it "ADD" and started calling it "ADHD".

Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by phEight View Post
http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/art...medid=16262993
Thought I would share with my fellow Inattentive types... much of it makes sense. I haven't completely read the article, but the parts I have are pretty interesting.
"Sig personnas illegitum non carborundum." (unknown)
The computer lets you make more mistakes faster, with the exception of tequila and a handgun. (M. Radcliffe)
The Following User Says Thank You to speedo For This Useful Post:
blink (07-23-09)
Old 07-23-09, 07:23 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

speedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud of

The DSM-IV was published in 1994. The DSM-III-R also had ADHD listed but no "ADD" as of 1987.

Prior to that it was called "ADD With hyperactivitty (ADD/H) and ADHD without hyperactivity (ADD/WO)" under the DSM-III

here is a link explaining it
http://www.questia.com/PM.qst?a=o&d=81021965

So... 1987 or therabout, was when it was no longer called "ADD"
ibut was called either ADHD or undifferentiated ADHD (UADHD), this was obsoleted by the DSM-Iv in 1994. so it is now just ADHD and nothing else.

Me
"Sig personnas illegitum non carborundum." (unknown)
The computer lets you make more mistakes faster, with the exception of tequila and a handgun. (M. Radcliffe)
Old 07-24-09, 03:59 AM

Shirker is on a distinguished road

I'm tempted to make a snarky comment but I'll pass this time. Yeah, I ended up reading it last night and it presents nothing new. Actually, it's a little confusing as I think it talks about ADD with SCT being a subtype of it. I'm not going to read it again to find out.
Old 07-24-09, 08:49 AM
ADDvanced Member

phEight is a glorious beacon of lightphEight is a glorious beacon of lightphEight is a glorious beacon of lightphEight is a glorious beacon of lightphEight is a glorious beacon of lightphEight is a glorious beacon of light

I don't think I ever claimed the article is going to present some break through lol. There's a lot of us who are ignorant about many of these issues, which is why I thought it would be helpful. it's only redundant if your knowledge base already consists of that information. Some of us are actually really new to ADD though .I have yet to find an online webpage that is well cited that presents this sort of information. Anyway, glad it was interesting for some.
Old 07-24-09, 11:17 AM

Can'tregister will become famous soon enough

ADD and ADHD all very confusing , for those interested a work group is currently considering revision of criterion for the preliminary version of DSM V and the chair Castellanos refers to ADD meaning an Inattentive subtype with just a few Impulsive/hyperactive symptoms.

I think the work group is due to report next in september .

http://www.psych.org/MainMenu/Resear...up-Report.aspx