ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 07-27-09, 11:44 AM
ADDvanced Member

cinfid12 is on a distinguished road
How come XR does not work for me?

I take 10mg adderall IR 3x a day. My Dr gave me 15mg XR to try it didnt do anything. I noticed my heart would beat faster than normal thats it. Then I took 5mg IR with the 15mg XR same thing didnt work. My heart rate did speed up sometimes but not everytime i took it. Is it too high of a dose? Because if I tak 15mg IR at once my heart rate goes up and I cannot concentrate at all I get this confused/zombie feeling. What should I do, I would rather take one pill rather than 3 but if I have to stick with IR thats fine
Old 07-27-09, 11:53 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

JR1973 is a jewel in the roughJR1973 is a jewel in the roughJR1973 is a jewel in the rough
Re: How come XR does not work for me?

The reason 15mg XR isn't working is because the dose is too low compared with what you are used to. It still amazes me how doctors can't properly convert the dosing when going from IR to XR. They see the big XR number but don't realize what it means.

15mg XR is the same as taking 7.5mg of IR twice day (7.5mg immediately and 7.5mg a few hours later).

You need the 20mg XR capsules to equal your current 10mg IR dose. Although you need to decide about that 3rd dose though. You could either take an additional 10mg later in the day or simply take another 20mg XR capsule (which would equal 10mg 4x a day).
Old 07-27-09, 12:08 PM
ADDvanced Member

cinfid12 is on a distinguished road

OK thanks but I eventually took a 5mg IR with the 15mg XR so that would be equal to 12.5mg and then 7.5mg later on. It just made my heart start pounding but I couldnt concentrate at all
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-09, 12:20 PM

cecily_parish will become famous soon enough

I had read somewhere before that the salt combinations in IR and XR are actually a bit different, not just the same exact medication dispensed differently--although I'm not sure how true this is.

But if the IR and XR pills you're taking are made by different manufacturers, this could be a reason the XR aren't working for you... different brands work differently for each individual.