ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > General Parenting Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Parenting Issues The purpose of this forum is to discuss general parenting issues related to children with AD/HD(ADD & ADHD)

Old 07-29-09, 09:03 PM

Simplegirl will become famous soon enough
The constant eating

My ADHD son whom is 9 has always had 'issues' with food. Whether it be the texture, the smell or the taste. He generally gets stuck on eating one specific food for days or even weeks at a time and since he's eating I have bended the rules for him ever since he was a toddler. I let him eat when he is hungry instead of trying to get him to sit down to meals since often times he won't eat what the rest of us are eating anyway. Let me also add that he has been on medication since he was 4 so often times his appetite didn't even return until near bedtime. I was generally okay with this since I was just happy to see him eating.

However...

I finally made the decision to take him off meds about a month ago. He has dome amazingly well. My biggest problem however is still eating. He is almost chronically "hungry" or "thirsty". I feel like I run a diner. Every 15 minutes and that is seriously no exaggeration he wants something to eat or drink. He will actually start whining and rolling around on the floor demanding food RIGHT NOW because he is starving...The thing is he could have had a bowl of cereal and a glass of milk not a half an hour ago.

I try to cook him meals but he doesn't have the patience to wait for them. For example...The other night he claimed to be starving but he'd had two snacks and was begging for more. I told him no more snacks it was time for an actual meal so I said I would cook him some fish. He was okay with that until 5 minutes in and the fish wasn't done. I try to explain to him that it takes time to actually cook food but instead of listening to me he starts digging in the pantry for something else to eat.

"Just fix me a PB&J sandwhich, mom, I can't wait any longer!!" Of course I told him no that he would just have to wait for his meal. So for 20 minutes he rolled on the floor literally like a toddler whining and crying about how hungry he was and how he was going to die without food. It was ridiculous. I understand he has ADHD but these little toddler tantrums are getting to be a bit much at 9 years of age.

Another issue is refusing him food. If I tell him he's had enough to eat he throws a fit and says he is going to get food anyway and takes off toward the kitchen and I have to stop him which results in more tantrums. What can I do to stop this? Do any of you have trouble with food issues like this? It's getting to be exhausting fixing him food so frequently. I get up fix him a sandwhich and it isn't 15 minutes and he wants more to drink. I get up and et him something to drink. I turn around and he's in the pantry eyeing up the soup or a can of tuna. It wouldn't be so bad if he could fix some of this food himself, but I'm honestly not sure he's capable since when he tries I wind up having to get up anyway to open a lid or retreive something to high. It's like no matter how independant I'm still needed for something.

Oh, and another thing is he'll demand a food but only take bites of it before he demands something different. I will tell him no ice cream until he eats dinner so he will eat the bare minimin and then demand ice cream only to be hungry again in 30 minutes. I'm just tired of the food wars, but I also don't want to made food such an issue but I hate trying to force him to eat at dinner time. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Last edited by Simplegirl; 07-29-09 at 09:11 PM.. Reason: typos
Old 07-29-09, 09:32 PM
Contributor

iggypop is just really niceiggypop is just really niceiggypop is just really niceiggypop is just really nice
Re: The constant eating

i was dx @ 7 ......was a fussy eater little for my age and i have grow up just fine.he will grow out of it ........i still am fussy mustard pickles my girlfriends mother cooking UGH!!!!!!!
i am 5'11 200# doing fine.i have a bad diet because of the cost of food

he will turn out ok mom not to worry
The Following User Says Thank You to iggypop For This Useful Post:
Simplegirl (08-01-09)
Old 07-29-09, 09:32 PM
Forum Guru

Justtess has much to be proud ofJusttess has much to be proud ofJusttess has much to be proud ofJusttess has much to be proud ofJusttess has much to be proud ofJusttess has much to be proud ofJusttess has much to be proud ofJusttess has much to be proud ofJusttess has much to be proud ofJusttess has much to be proud of

Quote:
Oh, and another thing is he'll demand a food but only take bites of it before he demands something different. I will tell him no ice cream until he eats dinner so he will eat the bare minimin and then demand ice cream only to be hungry again in 30 minutes
My son will do this occasionally when he was younger. What happends with him (I think) is a "great idea" gets fixtated in his mind and he has to have it NOW so whatever you are wanting him to accomplish gets done quickly and hap-hazzardly.

It may be the thoughts and ideas change quickly in his mind that he doesn't complete his meal before he's off doing something else. Then he may feel his stomach growl and feel hungry again which creates a rapid cycle.

If he has never been able to sit through a meal and complete it before, perhaps expecting him to do it now while off meds would be a difficult task for him to accomplish. I suppose it wouldn't be a bad idea if he grazes in the daytime with healthy foods if you're wanting to keep him off of meds.

My younger one is extremely picky about his food and it seems like there was only 4 kinds of food he will eat. I don't think he likes the texture of some foods while in his mouth and it has to taste just right.... or he will go and eat cereal instead. It seems to have disappeard the older he gets.
The Following User Says Thank You to Justtess For This Useful Post:
Simplegirl (08-01-09)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-09, 10:24 PM
Contributor

iggypop is just really niceiggypop is just really niceiggypop is just really niceiggypop is just really nice

for the tantrums well that's a different story....those are not acceptable NEVER he does it because he is rewarded for it. simple solution for you
CAUSE AND EFFECT his action are the cause you discipline him for the effect.this is not going to be fun to break him.
three things to remember FIRM-FAIR-CONSISTENT these elements are key to child rearing. you know his likes and dislikes use them to get his attention
for example: the temper tantrums work he gets what he wants from you mom he need to learn all over so do you,know this that behavior is to not be rewarded ever CONSISTENT he is to learn that.
make him look you in the eyes when you are talking.
example: (setting) is the drug store and jr wants a piece of candy!!and the mom says NO! well jr is not dumb he starts into a temper tantrum and the parent caves jr wins sound familiar ..i see it all the time
he is acting like a 2 yr old mom time to treat him like one.YOUR GOING TO HAVE TO BE CREATIVE AT THIS AGE .is dad in the picture? he needs to be, you both need to be a team.this is a serious problem.

you might need professional help this late in the game
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to iggypop For This Useful Post:
Imnapl (08-02-09), Simplegirl (08-01-09), taterbug (07-31-09)
Old 07-29-09, 11:46 PM
Forum Guru

Justtess has much to be proud ofJusttess has much to be proud ofJusttess has much to be proud ofJusttess has much to be proud ofJusttess has much to be proud ofJusttess has much to be proud ofJusttess has much to be proud ofJusttess has much to be proud ofJusttess has much to be proud ofJusttess has much to be proud of

Another thought came to mind..... nutritionally deficient ? It can start strange cravings. I know a blood test can check for iron deficiency. Being severly anemic in the past use to cause me to crave ice cubes and raw green vegetables constantly.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justtess For This Useful Post:
Imnapl (08-02-09), Simplegirl (08-01-09)
Old 07-30-09, 12:26 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

MGDAD has much to be proud ofMGDAD has much to be proud ofMGDAD has much to be proud ofMGDAD has much to be proud ofMGDAD has much to be proud ofMGDAD has much to be proud ofMGDAD has much to be proud ofMGDAD has much to be proud ofMGDAD has much to be proud ofMGDAD has much to be proud of

Oh, I think that blood test is a great idea, just to rule out deficiencies.

I also agree he is acting like a toddler with the tantrums.

How long has he been off meds? Did you taper the meds that have withdrawl side effects? Antidepressants, etc.

I dont think there is a magic solution, but maybe print up a meal/snack schedule and get help from him to pick ahead of time what will be served for each meal/snack. I would not expect 100% compliance right away, but if you got him to eat at a few of the scheduled times for the first few days, then maybe it would get better over time. Rewards for following the schedule might help. Although I have to admit I am just throwing out ideas.

Eating seems to be an issue for ADHDers. Hmmm
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MGDAD For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-09, 05:19 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,535 Times in 1,808 Posts
Lady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond repute

I would guess is part of the problem is that he's had you as a short order cook for five years. This is what he's used to. Now you've come along, changed it all, and to top it off he's dealing with actually having an appetite (something that it sounds like he hasn't had to deal with much), so he's got no concept of the difference between, a little hungry, and starving.

So now he's trying what ll kids try, tantrums. If you give in, ever, it just tells him that his idea worked. If you're breaking a kid from the tantrum habit, it will get worse before it gets better. they feel they have to up the ante, to see if a bigger, louder, messier tantrum will get you to cave.

We've had food battles, until I realized it takes two to fight. The rule is, this is what I made, eat it or don't. If they eat, they get to have snacks, desert, etc, if not nothing. Missing a meal won't kill them, and they know we mean it.

We also have snacks (granola bars, fruit snacks, etc) that they can have between meals, but we keep an eye on how much so they will still eat dinner. If it's too close, they have to wait. Sure, we get whining sometimes, but it's gotten so much better from the days or trying to "make" them eat dinner.

I'm really glad that worked. Those would have been terrible last words.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lady Lark For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-09, 09:36 AM
ADDvanced Member

Momofadder will become famous soon enough

My son who is now 16 has ADHD and was dx'd at 12. From the time he was little he was so picky. If I made him eat something he didn't want he would litteraly throw up on the kitchen table. So I quickly learned to choose my battles. He is now less picky and will eat or try nearly everything I make. Just a side note....we just had a foreign exchange student from Spain NON add. He was even more picky than my son. Maybe it is just young boys who are this way?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Momofadder For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-09, 10:11 AM

Simplegirl will become famous soon enough

So I read all the responses and I have to admit my first reaction was defensive..."What? I am consisent! I'm so tired of hearing that one." Then I sat on everything you guys said and I realize that while I have been consistent with him in other areas of concern this situation was different and I was letting him rule the roost. I didn't want to deprive him of food so I allowed myself to be manipulated because, hey, it's food right, not bad TV or video games.

Well, yesterday I sat him down and had a talk. It went a lot like this..."I'm starvingggggggggggggggg!"

"We are going to do something different today..."

"Just fix me food I'm starvinggggggggggg!"

Basically he did his typical melt down screamy whiny tantrum thing while I made dinner and I refused to entertain him. If he got in my face I promptly sent him out of the room. I told him there would be one meal and one snack before bed. And you know what? He scarfed his dinner down and asked for THIRDS! And only had one snack before bed. Now, I just need to stick to the routine.

Thanks for keeping it real guys! You all are amazing!

Last edited by Simplegirl; 08-01-09 at 10:15 AM.. Reason: Typos
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Simplegirl For This Useful Post:
Imnapl (08-02-09), livinginchaos (08-02-09), MGDAD (08-03-09)
Old 08-02-09, 01:25 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,535 Times in 1,808 Posts
Lady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond repute

That's great news! Good luck and let us know how it's going.

I'm really glad that worked. Those would have been terrible last words.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lady Lark For This Useful Post:
Imnapl (08-02-09), livinginchaos (08-02-09)
Old 12-08-17, 12:58 AM

july541 is on a distinguished road

Eating seems to be an issue for ADHDers.
Old 12-09-17, 07:28 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,269 Times in 14,935 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

If a child is hungry a healthy snack should be provided. Who cares when meal times are supposed to be? Since when are our bodies on timers?

I carried a watermelon?