ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Vyvanse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate)

Old 08-03-09, 06:40 PM

altquark is on a distinguished road
Blue Cross Blue Shield Florida no longer covering Vyvanse

My 11 year old son was diagnosed with ADHD last year (around April '08). His doctor prescribed Vyvanse - initially at 30mg - which had an immediate affect on him, whereupon he was able to concentrate at school and curb some of his social issues.

Earlier this year, because the Vyvanse was starting to wear off after about 6 hours or so, the doctor increased his doseage to 40mg - which certainly works longer (at least a full 8 hours).

If he doesn't take his Vyvanse (which has occurred a couple of times), there is certainly a major affect in his behavior and concentration levels. Therefore we're quite happy with Vyvanse.

However, we JUST got informed that Blue Cross Blue Shield has removed Vyvanse from their approved drug list. In effect, there is NO coverage whatsoever under their plan.

Given the fact that BCBSFL just upped their monthly rape - sorry - rate by 20% this past month, I'm not impressed with them as an insurer.

I've spoken to my sons doctor, who is adamant that he continues to use Vyvanse no matter what. This results in the situation that even though he is covered by a "top rate" insurer (I pay $450 per month coverage for my son and myself), we have to pay $150 every month for Vyvanse medication.

Obviously I'm looking at alternative insurers to BCBSFL - but I was wondering if any other posters have had similar issues - and perhaps a recommendation to the "best" florida insurer that has a family plan.

By the way, I'm self employed, so this is NOT to do with an "employer insurance" - but since most companies are starting to drop insurance, I'm certain that other people are going to see the same issues. I just don't understand how an administrative insurance company can make this type of decision above and beyond a qualified doctor's recommendation ?