ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Vyvanse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate)

Old 08-18-09, 04:57 PM

carissa_lee will become famous soon enough
Vyvanse vs. Adderall

I am currently on 100mg of Vyvanse every day. While I love Vyvanse, it's costs are currenly taking quite a big chunk of my money on a regular basis. Even with my current health insurance helping me each month (the prescription only costs me $40/each instead of the full price), I still purchase a 70mg Rx and a 30mg Rx for a total of $80 each month. Add that to a few other medications I take, my Rx costs each month can be $150-$200. I really don't want to switch from Vyvanse, I am very happy with how it effects me. But if money were to get tighter (say, if I were to lose one of my jobs, it would be a necessity), I would need to do so, even if temporarily. Since Adderall (or the generic version) is so much cheaper, I would like to at least know my options.

If anyone who has taken both meds at one time or another could provide any input, I would appreciate it. Especially anyone who may be in my situation now, someone who is very happy with Vyvanse's effects. I take Adderal-IR for the nights I work to prolong me from feeling like all I want to do is sit on my butt my entire shift, since my days can and do last more than 12 hours at a time... but I haven't taken Adderall alone. Even on the minor dose that I am on, I have seemed to have gotten headaches taking it. I don't take it every day, and don't always seem to get headaches while taking it either. Just sometimes. I may also get more of the clammy hands/sweaty feeling while on Adderall. The only issue is I haven't really tried to follow or journal every day, so I'm not positive if it's an everytime kind of situation or just sometimes.

Does Adderall typically have more of those effects? I guess the word would be harsh, does it typically have harsher side effects than Vyvanse? Same with the "come down", when it's leaving your system. The first few days on Vyvanse I had crappy withdrawl type symptoms but I don't have that anymore. I have heard Adderall is more of a crash than Vyvanse. Is that typical with everyone taking Adderall (those without a tolerance, that is), or is that only with some?

At this point I don't know anyone in my life who has ADHD, let alone an inattentive. I have a few suspicions of those who I think have it, and my brother DOES have ADHD (definetely the hyperactive one), but currently I am the only one I know (or know of) on meds for it. My brother feels best without meds, and since he is not an inattentive, I feel our situations are very different. I sometimes wish that I had gotten his type of ADHD, instead of mine. He's definetely much more successful at everything he does than I am. He's been able to use portions of the ADHD to his advantage... excess energy, "hyper focus", etc. While he's also had to deal with many issues, motivation definetely never was one of them. I think he may have been overdosed with it... and was given mine, also. I am definetely lacking in that area (getting a lot better, though).

Anyway. Thanks to anyone for their input, I definetely appreciate it!
Old 09-16-09, 02:26 PM

carissa_lee will become famous soon enough
Re: Vyvanse vs. Adderall

Go ahead and delete or remove this post (if you want to) - it's irrelevant for me now, since my work changed insurance companies & the new one doesn't cover Vyvanse, so I have to switch off of it anyway :-( ugh.